Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I absolutely love my Lodge Dutch oven. It even has been used as a "survival" oven in the fireplace when we had a prolonged power outage one winter. TP
Great idea, I want to get one that will fit in my fireplace

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Oh gosh, I enjoyed watching this so much I had to watch ALL of them. I wish it weren't so cold, I'd be planning a cooking trip outside right now. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
that all looks like fun and it is in the deep south, but now picture yourselves standing around out here waiting for dinner.,up north of corse.

·
Registered
33,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that all looks like fun and it is in the deep south, but now picture yourselves standing around out here waiting for dinner.,up north of corse.
Were you in my back yard???:D:

Good point, when there is snow on the ground and we're trying to make a fire for our dutch oven doesn't seem all that inviting.

I'm hoping to get some kind of system for the fireplace or just use the gas grill side burner and save the propane for that reason...I know it's not a long term solution but it makes me feel better:thumb:

·
Registered
33,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A friend and I cooked some chilli and a blackberry cobbler this weekend outside in dutch ovens. Came out very tasty.
Ohhhhhhhhh that sounds good, throw in some peach cobbler and some ice-cream and I'm in heaven

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
From one Ohioian to another, Thanks OhioMan.
Those are some great videos on dutch ovens. I am really gettin into cooking with these and would encourage everyone to learn how to use them. Yes, use them in the snow if you have to. From what I've read you place a garbage can lid or he lid of a 55 gallon drum (or anything else thats suitable) on the ground for your base and then stack them and use charcoal. If you have a tripod then cook over the coals of a fire. Or get a fire grate for cooking over.
They also make dutch oven tables that are about 24 inches high that you can set two side by side on.

You can always put your dutch oven on your gas grill. It doesn't really matter where your heat source comes fom.

I've done a fair amount of campfire cooking, these things are so versatile and easy it's a no brainer.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
thanks! i have a little two quart dutch oven that i recently bought i can't wait to take it camping with me this spring. i wasn't sure how to cook with it but that short video sure help me out a ton.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We used one of the over flow pans that goes under a hot water heater to make our coals and cook on. I feel it would work in the snow as well, but may cool down quick. I plan on using my fireplace next time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
any chance you want to share that recipe?
Well I just kind of wing it but here is what I do.
Mix 2 lbs of self rising flour, 1 small bag of yeast 2- Tbs. of minced garlic and 1-Tbs. of rosemary. Then coat the inside of a 1 gallon ziplock bag with olive oil and pour the mixture in the bag. The dough will start rising in the bag, it really needs to rise for a few hours before cooking, it kind of depends on the humidy and temp. as to how long this takes. Be sure and check the bag from time to time to let the air out, as I had one pop once and made a horrible mess. Then pour contents into your dutch oven and cook for about 30 to 45 minutes. Note very few coals are needed, for charcoal I would say about 8 charcoals under the pot and 8 on the lid. If you check it and it is browning the bottom too fast you can flip the bread in the pot. Also mix about 4 Tbs. of olive oil, 1-Tbs. minced garlic and 1- Tbs course black pepper for a drizzel to pour over the bread after it is finished cooking. It has a taste similar to garlic bread. th_potbrood2.jpg I forgot you will need about 3 cups of water to mix in the dough mixture, more or less just add water until it looks like bread dough.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
I just bought two 4 quart ovens at Big 5 Sporting goods. they were 29.99 each! They are preseasoned but I will be seasoning them tomorrow and then i am going to fire up some kind of stew in one just to start to get a feel for cooking with it. We shall see!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts