Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dehydrate a lot of food and store them in mylar. In the past I have purchased Mountain House freeze dried food.

The interesting thing that the Mountain House does is have you pour boiling hot water into the mylar and cook the food inside of the mylar bag.

Has anyone done this with their own self-made food preps?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I'm looking to do. You pay a ton for the mountain house ones.

I like to break my food storage into single meal options anyway. I found some mylar bags that stand up and also have a ziploc top. I plan to heat seal the bags above the ziploc top, then when it is time to cook it, add boiling water and close the ziploc top most of the way to retain the heat.

I think that in a PSHTF scenario the ease of making a meal by just adding water would be beneficial. In regular scenarios it makes for a great way to pack for camping or hiking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am just beginning to prepare my own MRE's in mylar using freeze dried foods. I need a low sodium diet for my son in the event we needed survival food. I have not added boiling water to the mylar, but if anyone has, I would like to know what the results were. Most of my "pre-packaged" foods take approximately 20 minutes to hydrate after adding boiling water. any experience shared is appreciated

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've done a lot of zip lock bag cooking for backpacking, I can't imagine mylar wouldn't hold up just as well if not better.

Granted these meals were for between 5-10 min steep the bag (instant rice/dehydrated beans/potato flakes/instant oatmeal etc etc). I manufactured a zip lock bag koosie out of a window shade, sewn with dental floss and duct tape to help keep the heat in and it works great.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,904 Posts
I would think that, if this works, you'd want the mylar bags w/ the ziploc closure, the ones where you can seal them prior to opening, then use the zip to close them back up while the boiling water does its thing.

Reactions: jodier7

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You might want to contact the manufacturer and ask if the plastic lining in the mylar bag can withstand the heat of boiling water. If it could, it seems like they would be using this fact in their advertising to sell more bags.

I don't have any information saying it won't work, it's just a thought.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Three things I would do if it did work.

1. Do it in a container so that if there was a seal failure you wouldn't loose the food.
2 Use a dishtowel as a cozy for it to keep it warm.
3 Find a bag clip to keep the top sealed. These are often given away with advertising on them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know this is an old post, but since I've been looking for the answer... There is a youtube video from Honeyville- the woman is talking about how to re-store canned freeze dried beef in various containers. CAnning jars, repurposed plastic jars and Mylar bags. She says mylar is ok for one time use when adding boiling water- like MH meals.

She seems to say they can be used a second time, but after that they may not seal air tight any longer.

At the ready store: http://www.thereadystore.com/diy/6287/how-to-make-your-own-mres/ they say that mylar and hot/boiling water is ok for DIY MH type meals as well- though they mention trying to source "military grade" mylar bags for this if possible.

The long and short seems to be that YES you can store prepared foods that will cook in the bag, but the idea is that the bag be used only once for safety sake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an old post, but since I've been looking for the answer... There is a youtube video from Honeyville- the woman is talking about how to re-store canned freeze dried beef in various containers. CAnning jars, repurposed plastic jars and Mylar bags. She says mylar is ok for one time use when adding boiling water- like MH meals.

She seems to say they can be used a second time, but after that they may not seal air tight any longer.

At the ready store: http://www.thereadystore.com/diy/6287/how-to-make-your-own-mres/ they say that mylar and hot/boiling water is ok for DIY MH type meals as well- though they mention trying to source "military grade" mylar bags for this if possible.

The long and short seems to be that YES you can store prepared foods that will cook in the bag, but the idea is that the bag be used only once for safety sake.
Those are retort pouches and can be bought. The problem is your regular vacuum sealer will not seal them or at least not well and not dependably. You would need either an impulse sealer or a vacuum chamber sealer designed with a sealing bar sufficient for a retort pouch (many are not).

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
You've seen what happens to mylar when you apply heat to seal it, right? I think the same thing would occur with boiling water. My guess is it wouldn't be able to handle it, but that's just a guess. I've eaten a lot of Mountain House over the years, and it's not a standard mylar bag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey when I was in jail before they let us buy plastic bowls we use to cook ramen noodles in dorito chip bags and plastic bags just and hot water and you would have warm noodles in 10 min👍

·
3,350 Posts
There's another option if you don't mind carrying an extra 4 or 6 oz in a bag. Get a wide mouth thermos, empty the contents of your mre into it and add water, put the lid on and let it ride in the pack or in a pouch till you are ready. I've done the same with Knorr rice meals with some jerky added.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts