Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're coming to hurricane season, I was wondering if you would recommend using camping stoves to cook during a power outage, or if there's something better out there to cook for two to four people for about three days. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,176 Posts
A cooking stove works well. I have an adapter I got off of amazon that hooks a 20 pound propane tank to it.

·
reluctant sinner
16,671 Posts
I can cook for myself for almost a year on a bbq tank of propane. 4 burner propane cooktop. For may years I did a 2 burner Coleman fuel stove converted to propane. Will work at -30 because the fuel is preheated on top of the main burner.

I have the Coleman propane tree with the proper hoses so I can run the stove, a catalytic heater and a lantern on top. Plus I have throw away 1# cans for the second lantern to wonder around with.

Cast iron is very nice for cooking on fires. Griddle, deep dish covered chicken fryer and dutch ovens. Large stainless steel stock pots for heating water, melting snow/ice, cleaning and other uses.

Solar shower bag for cleaning dishes, clothes and yourself. Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap works for everything.

Stainless steel skillet/pot for tomato stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,812 Posts
Coleman duel fuel 533 single burner or Coleman duel fuel 2 burner stove.
Advantage is the will burn white gas and or vehicle gasoline.
Both work well & I can cook like a gourmet on either.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,096 Posts
OUTDOOR propane "grill" you can pretty much do anything that a regular stove will do. Bake, roast, grill, warm, whatever.
then
I have a couple of Coleman 2 burners sitting around and some pack single burners including a little Tri-ox solid fuel.

THEN
there are all the things you can run off of a generator anyway.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,230 Posts
For low cost and simple 1 butane burner, the Chinese stoves are tough to beat.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-1-burner-high-performance-butane-countertop-range-portable-stove-with-brass-burner-8-000-btu/472BR1800.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GasOne-Butane-Fuel-Portable-Stove-Burner-Camping-8-oz-Canisters-4-Pack/223991283821?epid=1600068668&hash=item3426ebc06d:g:9VUAAOSww-BaZMpp

The butane tanks are smaller, so you will need to change cannisters more often.

Or just get a 2 burner burner/grill combo from Coleman. Then an adapter for a 20lb tank would give you enough fuel to cook for months.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coleman®-perfectflow™-2-burner-stove?gmc_feed=t&campid=71700000057441091&adgroupid=58700005323922757&device=c&keyword=92700050461137296&Channel=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgea03srk6wIVi8DACh2OeA_TEAQYBCABEgJ88vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=1022454&ogmap=SEM|LOC|GOOG|SHOP|c|OUT||NonBrand-Shopping-Local_Inventory-Outdoor|Outdoor-Camping||71700000057441091|58700005323922757

or

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coleman®-perfectflow™-2-burner-propane-grill-stove?gmc_feed=t&campid=71700000057441091&adgroupid=58700005323922757&device=c&keyword=92700057164024812&Channel=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgea03srk6wIVi8DACh2OeA_TEAQYASABEgINBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=25951&ogmap=SEM|LOC|GOOG|SHOP|c|OUT||NonBrand-Shopping-Local_Inventory-Outdoor|Outdoor-Camping||71700000057441091|58700005323922757

Read the instructions carefully if you are using for the first time especially.
The butane single burner can overheat the tank if you use too large a pan on it, because of heat diversion toward the side.

Usually you can get them that are self lighting, which makes it more convenient.

The butane stoves also give a super controllable flame.

They sell a little tin box with a thermometer if you need to bake with it.
Or I suppose you can use a dutch oven with the burner on low.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lodge-outdoor-8-qt-camp-dutch-oven#repChildCatSku=106312416

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
For low cost and simple 1 butane burner, the Chinese stoves are tough to beat.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-1-burner-high-performance-butane-countertop-range-portable-stove-with-brass-burner-8-000-btu/472BR1800.html

The butane tanks are smaller, so you will need to change tanks more often.

Or just get a 2 burner burner/grill combo from Coleman. Then an adapter for a 20lb tank would give you enough fuel to cook for months.
The wife prefers the single burner butane grill.
More heat than a propane burner.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
about a month ago we had a power outage that overlapped supper time

pulled out the trangia spirit burner, poured in few ounces of denatured alcohol, put that inside my firebox nano for a stable platform (but you could use something else), and it worked quite well.

not as easy as propane though, certainly

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
Dual fuel camp stove, propane or charcoal grill, propane camp chef type stove.

We were just without power for about 42 hours and did most of our cooking on our gas range in the house. Just had to light it with a lighter.

·
MyPrepperLife
3,880 Posts
My off-grid house has a 5-burner propane cooktop and a two-burner propane range with oven. Neither requires electricity.

Plus, my woodstove has an oven and two eyes on top. I've used the over to heat things up and to bake frozen pizzas. I haven't tried using the eyes for cooking.

·
Storyteller
1,735 Posts
Since we're coming to hurricane season, I was wondering if you would recommend using camping stoves to cook during a power outage, or if there's something better out there to cook for two to four people for about three days. Thanks!
Hard to beat a Coleman propane stove for cooking indoors. Quality product even today. Well worth the asking price.

Get the adapter hose for use with the large 20 lb tank. Allows you to heat water for sanitation/washing

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,795 Posts
////////////

They are good, I have one that takes butane cans and I purchased an additional adapter that can adapt to LP barbecue tank. Good to have during good times, you can use it for barbecue or if you need to fry something outdoors and not smoke out the house.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,230 Posts
Since we're coming to hurricane season.....
Not to distract from a perfectly useful topic, but remember that hurricane season in the US is May through November.

It is certainly true that most seasons see the worst storms late in the season, but that means it is almost ending.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts