Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good crow recipe? :D: I have several about the size of Cornish hens in the freezer. I am thinking parboil then bake with stuffing and wrapped in bacon until golden brown...................:thumb:

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,948 Posts
I fix 99% of the wild birds I eat the same way:

brown some chopped up bacon in a large sauce pan that has a cover.

then braise the birds that have been salted and peppered in the bacon dripping till lightly browned.

Add lots of chopped onions and caraway seeds and stir till onions are lightly browned.

Add enough water to simmer the birds for about 45 mins (covered)

Serve the sauce that forms on rice with the birds.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
I have not tried these out yet, sort of saving them for a last resort type of thing.

Roasted Crow

2 Whole (1-1/2 to 2-pound) crows
1 ts Garlic salt
2 Carrots, sliced
2 Celery stalks, sliced
1 md Onion, cut into wedges
10 Fresh parsley sprigs
1/4 c Butter or margarine, melted
1 c Chicken broth

Sprinkle each crow evenly with garlic salt. Place carrot and next 3 ingredients evenly into crow cavities. Tie legs together with string. Lift wingtips up and over back, and tuck under each bird. Place each bird, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with butter. Pour broth over crow. Bake, covered, at 325° for 1 hour, basting every 20 minutes with broth. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes, basting often. Let stand 10 minutes.

crow stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them. Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream. Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm didn't know about the west Nile thing.... I wonder what the kill temp is on WN and would just the act of cleaning them be enough to infect?

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Mark I don't know if the temp will kill the virus or not. I would check it out real close since it is a form of incefelitus not sure on the spelling. But it is a bad thing to get. I grew up in Florida where we got bit all the time and they say that people who did not get sick most likely would not get West Nile but it is a big problem all over. Even Horses can get it????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts