Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
As long as your friend has you along, he doesn't need to have a gun in the woods. He's got you...LOL

FWIW,
I have run into a sketch people in the woods and upon reporting one particular incident to the local sheriff I learned that they were very interested in where I had encountered the person and what the person was doing at the time.

Apparently the Sheriffs department was already engaged in an active search for a person that fit the description I gave them.

That said, I've had very few strange encounters while in the woods.

If after making your case, your anti gun friend still doesn't want a gun, then he doesn't want a gun. That is that, drop the matter and press on.
This is self correcting behavior one way or the other;)

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,982 Posts
Back 'In The Day',pre-LEO,pre-Wife,I was a Ships Officer with lots of time off and money to spend so I traveled around,camping,hiking,climbing etc.(early 80's)..I often took a lady friend on the shorter trips..while hiking a segment of the Appalachian Trail in NC,my friend and I were camped and I went off for a nature call...If my friend wasn't firearms acquainted, I insisted on a basic course of training and armed her with a snubbie .38..This was also pre my partner being killed and the shooter being wounded with another Officers .38....(Ill never willingly load a .38 in a self defense gun again)..As I returned I walked up just as she stood up w her hand on her belt beside her holster,facing 3 local yahoos across the fire who had thought she was alone/unarmed/helpless and glad to see 3 Real Men..I stopped and saw that all 3 sets of eyes were on her gun hand and that holster..When they shifted gaze to me they saw my hand near my SIg and it was all"oh,we were just passing by,stopped to say Hi and we gotta go now"...That could have gone bad really quick absent those two sidearms and our obvious awareness..you dont always have to shoot,or even draw..but it durn sure pays to be ready too...and equipped to..threats can appear out of nowhere,unexpectedly and really quick..Pays to Be Ready

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
And when you least expect it....that's when you get company.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It's not your place to convince anyone. If they don't want to carry a firearm, that's their choice/right.
Yup. The Right to Bear Arms also allows for the choice not to. Which is as it should be.

Reactions: Forrest Mosby

·
Bear Fighter
1,634 Posts
I'm never going to try and convince any of my anti-gun friends to pack heat in the woods. They won't convince me to not carry. We get along fine.

My wife has, in the last 10 years, become more of a firearm enthusiast than during the first 20 years of our relationship. I think she's realizing she's going to need a hobby when she retires . . . anyhoo, she does an annual ladies-only kayak trip in one of the few places where you might actually run into a grizzly bear in Idaho. Plenty of the black sort around as well. She's the only one that packs heat. I'm not so worried about the bears, but more so about some sketchy dudes thinking they're gonna do bad things to a group of ladies.

I'm glad she can shoot.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
In Today's world the right to keep and bear arms is not enough.
You need something strong to back up your bullets.
Not everyone can afford to have and feed a bear,
but we should at least have the right to keep and arm them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’m not a game hunter, but if I were going in the deep woods, I’d be sure to carry a gun of some type. I do know how to shoot, and am knowledgeable in gun safety. Some people are just plain scared of guns. I’m more scared of some people, with without guns. And wild animals. You never know when or if you’ll come up against a rabid animal. Just saying.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a friend who likes to camp in the woods but they will not carry a firearm, they don't hunt and live off store-bought goods the entire time but make like they are doing survivalist bivouacking.

When I insist they keep saying they don't need one, I totally disagree and fear that one day it might cost him his life when I am not there, as I know the day might come that he will need one and not have it.

What can one do to convince an anti-gunner that they need to have a firearm with them when they venture into the deep woods or it could cost them their life someday?:unsure:
Where are the woods you go to? Unless a lot of other people also go to the same woods, you’re probably much safer while you’re there.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Back when I was able to walk a 1/2 mile, I used to camp when going on motorcycle trips. I was always armed when I set up camp, no matter where I was. I took my granddaughter one year and slept in the suburban, when I had to use thefacolities I made sure she had a firearm with her(at 9 years old). There are too many things that can happen and you are very vulnerable, even in a national/state park.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Where are the woods you go to? Unless a lot of other people also go to the same woods, you’re probably much safer while you’re there.
You need to hope other hikers/campers used safe, clean practices and did not leave their left overs etc by their camp sites, so as not to attract bears, wolves, cyotes, bobcats, wild boar, etc...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have met many sketchy people while camping. There are those that live year round in their RVs and some will steal everything they can form your camp while you are hiking. I was on guard against a few I met and I was afraid to leave a 9yo by herself, even for 6 min. It is more the 2 legged animals out there(I am not talking about bears or birds.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yosemite has lots of bear issues. ( they keep it out of the news ) but there are lots of hikers and lots of bears that have lost their fear of man, and like to raid the campers food supply.
even in the main valley. a few people get attacked every year ( i am sure it is partly their own fault) but this is the way nature works...https://www.losaltosonline.com/news/sections/news/297-news-features/64070-officials-warn-public-of-prowling-puma-in-los-altos-hills or

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,982 Posts
What about non fatal and what about serious confrontations (false charges) and being circled and followed where bear spray or other meathods were needed?
Cougars(4 legged ones) also...several really good cougar/hiker/jogger encounters on Youtube..those things are scarier than bears..

Reactions: Wyomike

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Depends. Criminals are often opportunistic, so less criminals around means less chance of being a victim. however less protection from LEO or law abiding citizens who might stop an assault or witness a crime can increase the chances of a criminal acting IF you do encounter him.

that said there are other issues. Some criminals have been targeting rural areas more. There are less witnesses and lower police response times. This can give them a lower chance of being caught.

also a criminal could follow a victim into the woods. This is especially an issue for women. A guy after money is not likely to spend hours traveling to the woods to steal the 100 bucks you have in your wallet , but predators may spend considerable time stalking a woman or small group of women. This could be anybody who sees a social media post. It could be somebody who lives in the same dorm or apartment complex and sees the victim packing their car. It could be somebody at the gas station they stopped and asked directions at or to use the restroom.

the poster above mentioned the all women kayaking group. He knows about it. That means the significant others of all the women involved know about it. It means the highschool age and adult children of the ladies know about it. It also means some of their friends , coworkers , etc know about it and ANYBODY they tell knows. I would not be surprised if more than one of those ladies posted about the trips on social media. So you have a situation where a predator or group of predators could get wind of an opportunity and act out. He is right to make sure his wife is armed. sure probably nothing will ever happen but if it does there will be no LEO or other help. There may not even be cell service.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a friend who likes to camp in the woods but they will not carry a firearm, they don't hunt and live off store-bought goods the entire time but make like they are doing survivalist bivouacking.

When I insist they keep saying they don't need one, I totally disagree and fear that one day it might cost him his life when I am not there, as I know the day might come that he will need one and not have it.

What can one do to convince an anti-gunner that they need to have a firearm with them when they venture into the deep woods or it could cost them their life someday?:unsure:
I am reminded of the saying, 'A man convinced against his will (or beliefs) is of the same opinion still.'

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was charged by two pit bulls once while hiking in a public state forest. Looked but could not find a suitable tree to climb but three shots from a 9 shot .22lr revolver scared them off. Just shot close did not hit them but was planning too if they didn’t stop. Found out later a local person takes them out there regularly to run as it’s a secluded area “where no one hikes”. If not for the pea shooter I think I would have been bitten or worse. They weren’t wagging their tails and were showing teeth as they ran toward me. I would never go into the woods without a sidearm.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts