Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
As long as your friend has you along, he doesn't need to have a gun in the woods. He's got you...LOL

FWIW,
I have run into a sketch people in the woods and upon reporting one particular incident to the local sheriff I learned that they were very interested in where I had encountered the person and what the person was doing at the time.

Apparently the Sheriffs department was already engaged in an active search for a person that fit the description I gave them.

That said, I've had very few strange encounters while in the woods.

If after making your case, your anti gun friend still doesn't want a gun, then he doesn't want a gun. That is that, drop the matter and press on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
So was this Man in campground accidentally shoots himself in face
So what happens more? Bear attacks or accidental deaths from firearms? You see, when you play this game your argument will always get dismantled. And eventually your friend is just going to think you are being intellectually dishonest.

Better to take a different approach if you want to convince someone they need a gun more than they don't.
One final reply.

Your argument is irreverent, one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

The dangers of going into the woods has nothing to do with some dumbass shooting himself.

People run out of gas while driving all the time but that doesn't make the highway any less dangerous to drive.

Another thing you fail to grasp is this isn't 'a game', this is potential life and death for someone and what I speak of is fact as I've seen it, I've been through it myself, what I testify to is one hundred percent honest.

I appreciate the input from all but I think I can take it from here, and I'm out...

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
One final reply.

Your argument is irreverent, one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

The dangers of going into the woods has nothing to do with some dumbass shooting himself.

People run out of gas while driving all the time but that doesn't make the highway any less dangerous to drive.

Another thing you fail to grasp is this isn't 'a game', this is potential life and death for someone and what I speak of is fact as I've seen it, I've been through it myself, what I testify to is one hundred percent honest.

I appreciate the input from all but I think I can take it from here, and I'm out... View attachment 363636
Look Dude, you made a thread titled:
Convincing An Anti-Gunner To Carry A Firearm In The Woods

I have made posts in context to your approach to convincing your friend. You, however, have made nothing but "The woods are dangerous".

Leave your friend and others alone when discussing guns. You, and people like you, are incapable.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Not so much. There are regular encounters with armed criminals that operate in such areas.
In your AO maybe. Not out here.

One last note to you naysayers, this just popped up in the news now, someone... always has to be the statistic.
Nifty. Did you read the article? Still don't understand statistics do you?

Notice...SHE WASN'T IN THE WOODS CAMIPING.

And the last one was 11 years ago, so it's not like this is an every day...week...month...year....decade? Well, it's rare to say the least:
"The most recent fatal bear attack in Colorado was in August 2009 near Ouray, also in the southwestern part of the state. A 74-year-old woman was killed by a 394-pound (179-kilogram) male black bear. An investigation determined she had been illegally feeding bears through the fence in her yard, the agency said."

That's TWO deaths by bear in 11.5 years. BOTH were NOT people camping out in the woods.

Any guess how many hikers there were in those years? Bet it's over a million per year.
So two dead out of 11.5 million. NO...actually, the HIKERS and CAMPERS weren't hurt at all, so it's Zero out of 11.5 million.

And we don't even know if the bear KILLED this lady. She may have fallen, hit her head and died, and the bears scavenged the body. Or maybe her dogs attacked a cub and mama bear got real.

So in the end, it's two dead out of over 5 million residents in over 11 years.

Gee willikers, that's scary.
Not.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,982 Posts
there is a (non defined here) diff between an 'Anti' Gunner and one who is inexperienced/untrained/unfamiliar with firearms..my wife was 'put off' guns by a couple of dweebs in high school who 'took her shooting'...When she saw how I handled them,lived with them every day,and then saw how things were going she asked me to teach her..she carries a G 26 w 2 mags..shes gotten pretty good at grouping center mass,mag changes,tap n rack clearance drills, etc..her draw lacks but she has a good attitude..knows it doesnt come quickly or easily,and keeps hacking at it....Anti-Gunners are a lot different..they HATE Guns..and people who carry/use/shoot them..

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I have a friend who likes to camp in the woods but they will not carry a firearm, they don't hunt and live off store-bought goods the entire time but make like they are doing survivalist bivouacking.

When I insist they keep saying they don't need one, I totally disagree and fear that one day it might cost him his life when I am not there, as I know the day might come that he will need one and not have it.

What can one do to convince an anti-gunner that they need to have a firearm with them when they venture into the deep woods or it could cost them their life someday?:unsure:
DO NOTHING,but try to record your advice.

Then if he gets attacked and should happen to survive = you can get a HUGE laugh by playing that recording for him.

Yea I know,I dont play nice !.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Fortunately, the odds are that they'll never need one. If they aren't willing to own one, the odds are they won't be willing to become proficient with one either and that makes it dangerous for them to own a gun. Sometimes you just have to let people (hopefully) live and let live.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For the person getting beaten, mauled, kicked, robbed, bitten, raped, eaten, killed, etc. statistics mean nothing. The chances of it happening to them are 100%.

That said wild animals are very low threat as long as you don't do dangerously stupid things around them.

Humans are by far a bigger threat most places and even they manage to gather in large groups on a daily basis without killing each other.

Want to carry, fine, would be good if more people did IMO but don't disparage someone because they don't want to. It's really very low risk most places in the US. At least until it happens to them.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
OP, have you ever needed to use a firearm to defend yourself when in the woods? Unless i am hunting i generally dont carry when hiking or camping and i have never had an issue. Unless you can come up with some statistics to pretty much scare your friend into carrying i woukd just drop it.

In the end your more likely to push him away then completely change his mind set.
I carry when in the woods or just the plain old backcountry. Not always because I am hunting or camping. I know where I live and where I live, I've less to fear from 4-legged threats than 2-legged ones. Especially in certain areas south of the PHX-metro area. Up here in the high country not so much.

Like you, I've never had an issue. And, I hope to never have an issue. Further, if there is the appearance of a potential issue, the primary plan is to steer clear of the potential issue.

Considering some of the anti-gunners I know, I would not make any attempt to get them to change their minds. They respect that just as they reluctantly respect my desire to carry when we're in the outback.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
The only surefire way to convince an anti is to for them to be attacked by a person or dangerous animal. So unless you want to wait til he goes camping and mug him , it could be hard.

Maybe show the guy some videos of attacks by bear , moose , etc. remind him how LONG it will take for help to arrive in a remote area. And of course offer to loan him a gun and teach him to use it.

Also remind him that he OWES it to his family to carry for protection. A man will risk his own hide BUT not his wife and kids. And it is a lot easier for some guys to admit they are “ just doing it for the kids “ than to admit they are vulnerable .

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,283 Posts
PEOPLE are by far the most dangerous animals in the woods.
They will cause you problems for no reason other than they can
usually animals have a reason, if you do not give them one you should have no problem

Any camp incident I have ever seen or read about was because the folks ran a sloppy camp.

Reactions: scaatylobo

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have a lot of friends that live in nj and there is no CCP in there state , they camp ,hunt fish in ny .
They manage to get home from a out door trip with out being killed or eaten .
I carry 24/7 because I can .
I carry a auto in town and revolver in the country, it’s no big thing to me .

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
For context, that's only 36 in the last 11 years. That is way less than things like US lightning strike fatalities which are like 20 a year. Statistically, he will die travelling to his vacation than by a bear attack..

But I agree with you. Having a gun while hiking/camping is a good idea. Besides being bitten by a copperhead I have never had a problem with animals in the woods but have run into some pretty sketchy folks.
36 in the last year BUT it is not fair to compare bear attacks to lighting or car wrecks etc.

Most people live near places where cars drive and even drive one themself. And of course lighting can strike anywhere.

Most people in the usa are “immune” to brown bear attacks. We live in places where no brown bears live. In fact most people live in cities where little or no black bears live. Even most of the places i camp ( texas ) have little or zero bear populations. So that 36 a year is taken from a VERY small part of the US population not the whole thing.

Think about bee stings. 100 people die a year from bee stings. That is not a lot. BUT if you or your family where allergic you would most certainly not go in the woods without an epi-pen.

So while that 36 is a small number it is silly to think of it as 36 out of the entire US population.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
I agree that there is a very slim chance anyone would ever need a gun. Less when they are in the woods surrounded by nothing. But there is always that chance a 2 or 4 legged predator will be hunting a person. I always edc but it’s really for 2 legged. Never had to worry about the 4 leggers.
I am 48. I have never had to shoot anybody. I have also never used my fire alarm, fire extinguisher , life preserver or loaf boat, life insurance ( obviously) flood insurance , fire insurance , airbags , etc. BUT i have all these things.

99.99% of the time when i get in my vehicle i will not be in a wreck. I still have airbargs and buckle my seatbelt. 99.9 percent of the time i will not have a flat BUT i still carry a spare tire.

Are the woods safer than the city ? Maybe. I mean you are less likely to run into bad guys in the woods. BUT you are more vulnerable alone in the woods far from LEO, ambulances and citizens who would report crime. And 2 legged predators are starting to operate in rural areas more as less “rugged “ people spend more time there. A gender studies prof alone in the wilderness is likely an attractive target for some bad guys.

61 - 80 of 130 Posts