Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with this? I have a Ninja 500ex that's just been kinda sitting up. It was wrecked in a race so it's had better days. Good thing is that it still runs fine, and other than cosmetics, it's good.

I know how to make alcohol aka ethanol from anything with sugar, and figure fuel in a teotwawki will run short in supply soon after. I'm curious if any of you have successfully set any vehicle of yours to run on ethanol? From what I understand the older the vehicle the better because carbs can be adjusted for increased fuel output. Good thing my bike is carbed.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone else has ideas or knowledge of this.

·
just your average nobody
330 Posts
you need to use fuel tubing and seals that are capable of not breaking down when exposed to alcohol, or alternatively, change the fuel line and associated hoses once they become brittle.

As far as correct jetting ratios, when I used to run my drag ATVs on methanol, max power was a hair over 5:1, where as on gas it was roughly 13:1. I used drill bits from harbor freight that increased in size very, very gradually to drill out main and pilot jets. I ordered richer needles and played with them until I found the right one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was talking to a mechanic about restoring one of my cars. He said you can get a stupid amount of power going with ethanol but it would require a cam, and piston change as well as the jetting and fuel lines Dillio187 mentioned. Because it runs so much cooler he told me we would have to raise the compression but could get a stupid amount of horsepower out of the same size motor.

·
just your average nobody
330 Posts
you don't have to raise the compression, but like you said, you certainly can and will get much more power out of the engines if you do.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just remember if you go with an ethanol or equivalent you are not going to get near the mileage out of it you would with gasoline. I don't know for sure but if I "THINK" you will loose 20 to 30% I'm sure someone else will know the exact number of 29.86% and point out I'm wrong but the jist of it is don't expect to get near what you were till you can find out what your specific application is going to do. I completely believe that Dillo187 is correct that you don't have to increase the compression but I personally would go the extra step and put a new piston in and increase the compression. If you are going to go to that much work why not make it worth it. You don't want to end up with something that is not going to have the power you need when it is only one more step when you are talking about this much work already with all the custom tuning this is going to require. I would love to hear how this comes out. PM me when this is done and let me know if you would please. I just picked up an old 90 step side 4x4 I was thinking about doing this to but had not made up my mind yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts