Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. After reading another thread about a camping stove / oven, it got me wondering. Is there a way to convert a standard natural gas stove in the house to run off a 20# propane tank after the SHTF?

Are the burners too different to do this effectively or at all?
Does anyone know of some kind of conversion kit?

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
Good question,

I would think not, as long as you can get the tank to hook up to the lines. Gas is gas, maybe I worong but I bet there is some type of converion kit out there.

When you get it done...mail me one and I'll let you know...lol...:thumb:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Been there and done that.

You will need to change the orifaces.

You can get them at any propane or natural gas suppier. They are not "stelth items" and the service people change them out frequently. You can buy them now and save them for latter. The techs will usually show you how to install them.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The only difference is the orafice/nozzel size and the air blend ratio. Contact an appliance store with the model of your stove and they can orderin or they may have them already in stock. Then keep them with the stove until needed.
Another option is to find a used stove already set up, like a RV model, and store in the garage until needed. The one I have I picked up for $40.

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question,

I would think not, as long as you can get the tank to hook up to the lines. Gas is gas, maybe I worong but I bet there is some type of converion kit out there.

When you get it done...mail me one and I'll let you know...lol...:thumb:
I don't know, that's a lot of stamps and with the cost of postage going up and them reducing delivery days...

Thanks dcliffhanger, I think I will buy one or two or four. Then I will have them on hand when/if the need arises.

·
JAFO of the End!
250 Posts
I have a gas stove

...I live in rural maine and run my gas stove off #20 propane tanks (the one's from a BBQ grill) and #100 propane tanks. On a #20 tank it lasts about 1 1/2 months of standard cooking and baking...during November and December when I do more cooking and baking it drops to about 3 weeks per tank. When I fill the #100ers (which don't get filled often because they are hard to manage) it lasts 5-6 months. I also have a #500 tank at the back of my garage that is full (part of my preps)...so to extrapolate, with that one tank I will have well over 1 year (optomistically 2) of cooking fuel. We had this set up for us when our stove was delivered and the cost was included in the setup from Home Depot. If you can change a tank on a BBQ grill you can do it on your stove, it's that easy. For anyone who is prepping I highly suggest it...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,493 Posts
Been there and done that.

You will need to change the orifaces.

You can get them at any propane or natural gas suppier. They are not "stelth items" and the service people change them out frequently. You can buy them now and save them for latter. The techs will usually show you how to install them.
While you're there, grab an orifice for methane too. If SHTF goes long term, about the only gasious fuel source we'll have will be home produced methane. Orifices are cheap and it's good to cover all the bases just in case.

·
JAFO of the End!
250 Posts
just to show

That a setup like this is not hard and it is adaptable for many size tanks...it does require you to transport and fill the tanks yourself, but it allows for HUGE prep abilities.

·
End of the Roader
226 Posts
You can enlarge the orifices yourself, if you have the tiny drills. I enlarged the propane orifices in my Humphrey gas lights, with a (I believe) #60 drill.

Why would you want to convert from natural gas to propane? Propane has to be 'got'... went and picked up, or delivered. Unless you're filling up some multi-year (500 or 1000 gallon tanks), you're going to eventually run out. I'd look at the natural gas connection you have coming to your house, and 'figure' out why you couldn't keep on using the natural gas, if TEOTWAWKI occurs? The lines will be pressurized for a long time... unless someone cuts the lines at the bridges and distribution centers.

I have free natural gas, get it straight from the well. I'll have gas forever, regardless whether civilization is around or not. I will be shutting off 'my well' to the pipeline. Would probably shut the pipeline down too. Sorry, if my gas was going to your house... I need it more!:D:

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why would you want to convert from natural gas to propane? Propane has to be 'got'... went and picked up, or delivered. Unless you're filling up some multi-year (500 or 1000 gallon tanks), you're going to eventually run out. I'd look at the natural gas connection you have coming to your house, and 'figure' out why you couldn't keep on using the natural gas, if TEOTWAWKI occurs? The lines will be pressurized for a long time... unless someone cuts the lines at the bridges and distribution centers.
I would only do it when the natural gas stops flowing. There won't be an indefinite supply and there could be those that would purposely redirect the gas flow to benefit themselves. And those that would just cut the lines for spite.

·
Where the Elite meet
5,560 Posts
I have a question. After reading another thread about a camping stove / oven, it got me wondering. Is there a way to convert a standard natural gas stove in the house to run off a 20# propane tank after the SHTF?

Are the burners too different to do this effectively or at all?
Does anyone know of some kind of conversion kit?
My kitchen stove does just that. You simply need to swap out the shaker jets. (I think that's what they are called.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts