Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to convert my 870 mag to a home defence shotgun, ie. shorter barrel, side saddle, light, mag tube extention?

OR should i just save and dish out the $ for a police issue?

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
buy the parts, forget the police issue, its very pricey.

If you buy a collapsible stock you may not need to shorten the barrel. I have an 870 with all the goodies and the collapsible stock makes it plenty short.

Pointblank

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its a 24'' barrel, i'd personaly like atleast a 20'' with DRS sights...

I saw on Remingtons web site the differences between the two, it didnt look like there was much a diference but you never know.

Its a old hand me down shotgun and is fairly old...atleast 20 years.

I figure this

-barrel is 150
-saddle-30
-stock&forend-100
-light & mount-50?
-sling...20?
-mag extintion?

thats already $350...w/o the mag extintion. for not much more i can by a used police model with all that on it...

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Well how far do you want to go? I'd say shorten the barrel to 18", get a mag extention. Want to shoot slugs? Get ghostring sights.

Talking from experience if your having any "jamming" with certain brand ammo of roll crimped ammo. Get the forcing cone reamed or better yet get the gun Vang Comped and when you do so you get the barrel back bored at the same time. Knighthawk customs and or Van Comp enterprises can do it.

After that anything else is to your taste.

Rifleman 336

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problems at all, it runs like a champ. i've never had any problems and the guy that gave it to me is a avid hunter, he bought it when he was 18...hes like 40 now lol. it was my first shotgun and my b-day present from him.

I dont hunt alot and its way to long for appt. defence.

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
This is my Remington 870 Express Magnum, "There are many like it but this one is mine"!!! LOL

I found this one at a pawn shop for 199.99 no lie. I think the hourly worker got confused and soon after my purchase probably fired for selling that shotty for 199.

It has a badge on it that says "Mesa Tactical".

Mostly Tapco parts, I believe the stock is 49 bucks at www.Cheaperthandirt.com they also have heat shields and fore grips.

I hope this helps, and if you need more pics to help you with idea building yours, just let me know.

Pointblank

I also added some soldier humor..... enjoy meat shield :cool:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts