Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wondered why this change has to be made. Is the gov. not found a way to stop these transmissions. Do they have a way to watch us thru tv. Sounds crazy but, why fix it if it ain't broke. I don't have a problem with my local channels.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Not sure about them watching us through our TV's, but I do wonder the same thing.

I wonder if these conversion boxes can communicate back with the broadcasting station.

What will the new digital format change for the better, according to those who pushed for this change?

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
The electromagnetic spectrum is finite and extremely valuable. The part used up by the old analog TV signals was very large. By converting to digital TV (which uses much less bandwidth) that spectrum can be reallocated to new uses and sold. The US government is making a lot of money off the auction. Even with the set top box credits and administrative burden the conversion is more than 90% profit.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The electromagnetic spectrum is finite and extremely valuable. The part used up by the old analog TV signals was very large. By converting to digital TV (which uses much less bandwidth) that spectrum can be reallocated to new uses and sold. The US government is making a lot of money off the auction. Even with the set top box credits and administrative burden the conversion is more than 90% profit.
Pretty much the same thing I had heard -- something else to sell

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know personally I wasn't happy when I found out my digital cable box contacted a server and could be used to keep an eye on what I watched and is in some places being used to follow trends by all users not just a select few. ( which is why I disconnected my box and stopped watching.) Digital channels take up less band width the current technology and the government can make more money and keep people glued to the tube by adding extra channels. (Peace is war, Love is Hate) getting you to better follow their message rather the thinking for yourself (can't tell I dislike TV can you)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.