Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to sound stupid, and I know what these initials represent.

What confuses me is the usage of this term on this site in context. I see a lot of posts that ask for or give advice on what to do or avoid when TSHTF.

I've been through many natural disasters and civil unrest periods, but in my mind most of these did not qualify because order was restored and recovery did happen. Things took time to get back to previous conditions, but the idea and sense of routine resumed in short order.

My TSHTF lasted about 18 months before I bailed from the situation and moved to KY. It was like a huge accident in slow motion, with frequent events that would catalyze the action. There was no actual recovery, just relative periods of no new deterioration (which at the time I had hoped was a sign of better times).

In my old neighborhood, house values are lower than what prices were before 1995. Crime rates have skyrocketed to even worse levels than I imagined were possible. I know I was so blessed to have left that cesspool.

So the question here, what context of TSHTF is meant in terms of timespan or scope?

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Good question, and one that needs to be clarified,IMO. People often use the term SHTF, when they should be using a term like TEOTWAWKI ( and visa versa).
A major meteor strike, world-wide plague,nuclear war,or complete,global economic meltdown would ( probably) constitute The End Of The World As We Know It, whereas SHTF, would simply be a gross understatement.
SHTF is very subjective, and usually more isolated and temporary. My brother or next door neighbor can have a legitimate SHTF scenario, and I be completely unaffected. Not so with TEOTWAWKI.
SHTF could be a serious injury, loss of job, house fire, killer storm, home invasion,etc. but TEOTWAWKI implies something almost universal in scope and affect.

·
Registered
543 Posts
IMHO:
SHTF vs EOTWAWKI

SHTF can happen on a rather isolated or localized basis: A tornado, a hurricane. Katrina would fall into that category but shows that total recovery, though bound to happen, does not always fit OUR schedule. Shayna I have read your profile and would NEVER belittle anyones experience; you've definitely seen some bad sh7t!!!!! Again, my opinion, it still fits the SHTF scenario boundries.
To show my point: You state that you "baled and moved to KY."
Now, if you had NO place to bail to; if it was ALL SHTF, then I think it would qualify as an EOTWAWKI scenario.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being on my way out, I don't have much time to give a well detailed response. But, here is the analogy that goes along with SHTF.

We have all had experiences where s*** is thrown across the room. It stinks, and then we have to clean it up. And no one wants to be the one to have to clean it up - so we bicker about who's obligated.

But, when s*** hits the fan, it goes everywhere. It spreads, covers every one and every thing. And if we're to get rid of all this s*** we're all going to have to chip in to clean up because there is way too much s*** for any of us individually to deal with.

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
I don't mean to sound stupid, and I know what these initials represent.

What confuses me is the usage of this term on this site in context. I see a lot of posts that ask for or give advice on what to do or avoid when TSHTF.

I've been through many natural disasters and civil unrest periods, but in my mind most of these did not qualify because order was restored and recovery did happen. Things took time to get back to previous conditions, but the idea and sense of routine resumed in short order.

My TSHTF lasted about 18 months before I bailed from the situation and moved to KY. It was like a huge accident in slow motion, with frequent events that would catalyze the action. There was no actual recovery, just relative periods of no new deterioration (which at the time I had hoped was a sign of better times).

In my old neighborhood, house values are lower than what prices were before 1995. Crime rates have skyrocketed to even worse levels than I imagined were possible. I know I was so blessed to have left that cesspool.

So the question here, what context of TSHTF is meant in terms of timespan or scope?
Hi Shayna-
Just curious, where was your old neighborhood? Glad to hear you got out!!!:)

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
IMHO:
SHTF vs EOTWAWKI

SHTF can happen on a rather isolated or localized basis: A tornado, a hurricane. Katrina would fall into that category but shows that total recovery, though bound to happen,
Now, if you had NO place to bail to; if it was ALL SHTF, then I think it would qualify as an EOTWAWKI scenario.
I concur with your definition.

SHTF is a personal, local, or temporary event. From personal unemployment, Major winter storm, loss of utilities for a long period, to a hurricane. A good BOB, and or a months worth of food storage will get you through it. Or at least help. Civilization will be restored in time.

THEOTWAWKI is The End Of The World. Something major, probably world wide, and long term. Nuclear war, comet strike, EMP..... This is the one where you need as much food stored as you can and be ready to rebuild civilization.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I would like to point out that in alot of possible TEOTWAWKI situations it could/very likely/will start as a SHTF ..... a single SHTF cascading into other and more severe SHTFs .......

TEOTWAWKI can be a combination of a number of SHTF ...... wrong leaders gets elected, weather conditions effecting crops/harvest, natural disasters, wars, various economic conditions ect ect ect ......

Stay current on world affairs ...... it could be happening in front of our noses

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
SHTF can be localized disaters, or personal. I've had a few personal SHTF events in my life. Recently SHTF for son's family, and they lived with us the entire month of March in my living room. Being prepared with supplies helped sustain us through it. I've had open heart SX, almost died from kidney failure, and was almost killed in a car accident. To me....those were definitely SHTF! But there was recovery, and pretty much a return to normalcy.

Now TEOTWAWKI? That's just the end of the world....

Here's a parody of above...read the text..........

·
Kicker of Ass
289 Posts
TSHTF = Bad disasters with large damage/loss of life but normality will return within a year or so

TEOTWAWKI = The end of the world as we know it. In other words life will never be the same due to a massive worldwide disaster, war, pandemic, etc.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I suspected that folks were mixing up the terms but wasn't sure. This confirms it for me. :)

·
Banned
12,043 Posts
The reason it gets confusing is because people incorrectly apply the term. That second video is hilarious. When you shove all the conspiracies into three minutes they look even more insane.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
I don't think SHTF is related to time or order was restored. For those in New Orleans when Katrina hit, the SHTF. SHTF and TEOTWAWKI are not the same thing.

I had a personal SHTF when the economy put me out of business, I lost my house, and my mother died, forcing me to take over running a retirement home for the elderly that I had no idea how to run, all within months of each other. My dogs even died during that time. So while my crisis effected nobody but myself, it was most definately a SHTF in my life.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Well for a home steader, it's a bit different I guess.

NC is under a massive drought. Last night we got rain, but it simply isn't nearly enough. My crops are suffering, and I'm having to ration water. (I really need to complete my drip line irrigation)

The heat has also claimed the lives of some of my live stock. Even in the shade, it's extremely hot.

My SHTF, would by completely loosing any source of income or my ability to turn dirt. The rest of the world isn't so much a factor as it might be with other survivalists. We live bugged out.

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Everything and nothing.

To me SHTF and TEOTWAWKI are buzzwords that have a meaning so broad that they do more harm than good. And people don’t agree upon what they really mean either. So in short: People use them for different purposes and situations; this makes it hard to know what people mean or what they are talking about. Discussing situation without using these concepts would be more productive in most cases.

And many people don’t discuss these concepts like possibilities; they discuss them like the society we live in today has collapsed. Or that it will and there is no other possible outcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts