Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Indefatigable
20,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted my first garden (in containers) this year. So far I have been overjoyed at the results! But I am learning as I go and keeping a gardening journal, so I can learn from my mistakes. Two questions:
My jalapenos are beautiful and bountiful but they have NO heat. They taste just like a bell pepper. Did I do something wrong?
I planted 3 large containers 10"x40" and 12"deep full of radishes. I KNOW I made a mistake there. They were planted so close together, they were being pushed out of the ground when they were the size of marbles. They were tasty and we had A LOT. But they all came at once and now we have none. Can I plant again? or is it too late? How far SHOULD they be planted apart?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Definitely plant the radishes again if you like them. They only take 26 to 30 days. I also plant them too close together, then I harvest every other one when they're small. Wait a week or more and harvest the others which are larger by that time. I wouldn't plant them farther than 2 inches apart.

The jalapenos, idk, might just be the variety of seed? Did you buy plants or seeds, or did you save seed? My jalapeno plants are loaded, but I'm waiting for the peppers to get a bit bigger before I harvest. Mine were from saved seed from a red jalapeno bought last fall. I hope mine will grow hot, because the parent pepper was.

·
Indefatigable
20,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My jalapeno plants came from a mom and pop nursery/farm supply store. I started saving seeds, but now that I know they aren't hot, I will probably just put those aside for SHTF.
Can anyone suggest a specific variety that I should look for next year?
First round of radish were about 2-3" apart. What would cause them to be so small? Did I not plant them deep enough to begin with? How deep should they be planted?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Is the soil light and soft or hard? Maybe you need more organic stuff mixed in the soil? It's been awfully hot and dry here, maybe more water +/or a little shade during mid-day.

Radishes plant very shallow, like only a quarter inch deep. Also, I don't think it hurts them to stick up out of the ground a bit. Below the round part of the radish is a long tap root which which has fine hair-like roots. That is the most important part that needs the water and nutrients from the soil. Root veggies like to be watered deep.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
Your mild jalapeños were most likely TAM. Most nurseries carry the mild TAM over the traditional hot jalapeño.

Stagger your radish sowing about two weeks apart for a more steady flow of radish.
Onions and lettuce also do well in container settings, staggering the sowing on them as well.

Reactions: Jojo

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just as people are different, jalapenos have a lot of variation also.

Plant radishes as usual, but they have to be thinned a bit after they sprout to grow to full size. You can also sprout radish seed in a jar in the kitchen for a peppery addition to salads and sandwiches.

Containers risk drying out; keep an eye on 'em. You might need to add some fresh soil or compost on top after a number of weeks.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
As the weather starting getting HOT (100 degrees or there about), my jalapenos started to get hotter and hotter. They are in 5 gallon buckets and I am giving them 1/2 gallon of water every other day. I fertilize with a diluted solution of miracle grow once a week.

How much are you watering?

I also don't pick them until they are about three inches long. Are yours fat? If not, they need more water.

·
Indefatigable
20,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I water twice a day - in the morning and the evening and usually by the time I am ready to water the plants look very wilted. If I watered only every other day everything would be dead. I did loose the oregano last week - completely dried up in one 8 hour period and hasn't come back....
Once a week I water with miracle grow organic mix according to instructions. My jalapenos are 2-3"long, bright green and fat - just no heat.

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a "regular garden" and I am having the same issue with my Jalapenos. It is not that they are mild, they have NO HEAT at all. I gave one to a 5 year old yesterday and he told me " I don't want this, it doesn't taste like anything".

I searched Google and it seems that over watering can make them mild but I don't think that is the case here.

I also found that there is a hybrid version where the "heat" has been removed and that is what I believe I have.

I asked one of the guys I work with (Mexican guy that gave me food that burned the whole way down) about my Jalapenos and he said the same thing, Hybrid junk.

Mine taste almost like a green bell pepper. I bought them as plants at Eastern Market in Detroit.

just took these.

·
Indefatigable
20,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to start saving seeds from the ones we buy from the hispanic market and give that a try next year.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I water twice a day - in the morning and the evening and usually by the time I am ready to water the plants look very wilted. If I watered only every other day everything would be dead. I did loose the oregano last week - completely dried up in one 8 hour period and hasn't come back....
Once a week I water with miracle grow organic mix according to instructions. My jalapenos are 2-3"long, bright green and fat - just no heat.
If your plants are wilted by the afternoon, try giving them more water in the morning. I had a thread here the other day regarding how much to water and since I have started giving them more water, they are doing much better. If we have several days without rain I may give them a gallon every day. I use an old milk jug to know exactly how much they are getting.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Jojo Jalapenos need heat and stress to be hot. I live in AZ and water the plants only when I see the leaves wilting in the afternoons. Then I wait until the next morning to water them at which point i water rather heavily. They have plenty of heat :thumb:

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
I am going to start saving seeds from the ones we buy from the hispanic market and give that a try next year.
Folks, we have a seed savers group in this forum.
I cultivate both varieties for market (hot and mild TAM).
I can send a bit of seeds to any interested.
Not too much action in the savers group, but I check it often anyway.
Just sayin'...

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,309 Posts
Too much water for Jalapeno's.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Most definitely stagger your plantings of the Radishes for a higher production rate and so your not over whelmed with a huge sudden yield all at once. I do the same thing with Lettice and Spinach. Those clear 12 gallon totes from Wally World make great cold frames for growing those two in the cooler months of fall and early spring when there is still a danger of frost here in North Texas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts