Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take the following scenario, you can only have 1 specific round. You can have as many as you want, costs are not considerations. The round has to be available today for purchase through your current standing (civilian/law enforcement/military) or the components have to be available for you to reload it yourself. You will not have any other ammunition available to you and there is no option to own any other rounds.

Fill in the following information using as few words as possible,

Your round of choice: (brand/bullet/shot/slugs/buckshot grains+type/powder grains+type/primer type - add those details if known, if not then just the brand but be specific. Example: "12 gauge" is not a valid choice but "Winchester Xtended Range HD Turkey 3 inch #4 shot" is valid.)

Your Regional Environment: (i.e hilly, mountains, plains, swamp, rural, dense city, remote, etc.)

Which primary reason best fits your selection? (use 1 word only): (hunting, defense, offense, coverage, weight, recoil, versatility, accuracy, familiarity, etc.)

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: (yes/no)

What is your main survival strategy?: (BO, BI, move constantly, engage threats, etc.)
Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: (alone, with others)

Your experience with the round: (never shot, <100 rounds, <1,000 rounds, etc.)

Shot paper with the round: (yes/no)
  • Shot <25 yards?: (yes/no)
  • Shot up to 50 yards?: (yes/no)
  • Shot up to 100 yards?: (yes/no)
  • Shot over 100 yards?: (yes/no)
  • Shot over 200 yards?: (yes/no)
  • Shot over 300+ yards?: (yes/no)
Shot small game with the round: (yes/no)
- Ate the small game: (yes/no/sometimes)
Shot medium game with the round: (yes/no)
- Ate the medium game: (yes/no/sometimes)
Shot large game with the round: (yes/no)
- Ate the large game: (yes/no/sometimes)

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?: (yes/no/decline to state)
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: (yes/no/decline to state)
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: (yes/no/decline to state)

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: (single type, multiple types)

Have you already built up around this round?: (yes/no)

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice:

Adding easy cut+paste format:

Your round of choice:

Your Regional Environment:

Which primary reason best fits your selection?

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?:

What is your main survival strategy?:

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?:

Your experience with the round:

Shot paper with the round:
Shot <25 yards?:
Shot up to 50 yards?:
Shot up to 100 yards?:
Shot over 100 yards?:
Shot over 200 yards?:
Shot over 300+ yards?:

Shot small game with the round:
- Ate the small game:
Shot medium game with the round:
- Ate the medium game:
Shot large game with the round:
- Ate the large game:

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?:
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?:
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?:

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?:

Have you already built up around this round?:

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Your round of choice: .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO National Match

Your Regional Environment: I used it in Viet Nam but now live in central Illinois.

Which primary reason best fits your selection? It works. It is effective.

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: Some, not much.

What is your main survival strategy?: Be flexible. Watch, look and listen then make my plan or decide what to do.

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: Both.

Your experience with the round: Used it in combat as a sniper.
Shot paper with the round: Yes, to zero it.
Shot <25 yards?: Yes, all the way out to 900 meters on steel silhouette targets.
Shot up to 50 yards?: Beyond that.
Shot up to 100 yards?: Yes.
Shot over 100 yards?: Yes.
Shot over 200 yards?: Yes.
Shot over 300+ yards?: Yes.

Shot small game with the round: Yes, bird on a bush.
- Ate the small game: Vietnamese soldier ate it.
Shot medium game with the round: Yes, dropped a wild boar with it.
- Ate the medium game: Ate some of the boar meat. Good tasting.
Shot large game with the round: Do people count?
- Ate the large game: No.

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?: Yes. Quite a number of times.
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: Yes. Generally straight through them when hit dead center in the chest.
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: No, saw it for real.

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: It would be one type of rifle: a scoped sniper rifle.

Have you already built up around this round?: No, because I may need to maneuver or walk out of my staging area first before setting up somewhere.

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: The .308 Winchester round is very effective. I would not hesitate to use it in combat again. Right now, I'm testing (playing with) the .223/5.56 rounds and some 7.62 X 39 ammo for survival use in my area. I am on a quest to see if there is such a thing as "a perfect survivalist round to use." The 6.5 Grendel might be my next test series of rounds.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Your round of choice: .340 Weatherby with factory and handloaded with various bullets

Your Regional Environment: Prairies

Which primary reason best fits your selection? Accurate, powerful, long range potential and will drop anything in North America and almost everything in Africa--a little light for elephant and maybe hippopotami...

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals? Yes

What is your main survival strategy? Be invisible

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy? Family & friends

Your experience with the round: Used it in sniper competitions and have hunted with it.

Shot paper with the round? Yes to 1,500M

Shot small game with the round? Yes long range prairie dogs and woodchucks, coyotes and jack rabbits.
Shot medium game with the round? Yes, deer, pronghorn, bighorn and Dall sheep and Rocky Mtn Goat.
Shot large game with the round? Moose and bison and my brother borrowed it to shoot an elk.

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets? Yes. Silhouettes.
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human beings? Yes have seen videos
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human beings? Yes.

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types? Multiple, maybe...Bolt action rifles I have but would like a break action, single shot multi calibre potential rifle in it, I.E. Thompson/Center but made by Martini & Hagn.

Have you already built up around this round? Yes, have two rifles chambered in it--one regular hunting and one precision long distance shooting

During the 1970s the director of the IDF Sniper School in the Israeli desert was an American and he was convinced that it was, at that time, the best sniper round available...When I was there is 1972 and again in 1974 taking the course that's all he talked about and when I got back to Canada I bought one and started replacing everything on it--barrel, bolt, trigger, stock, mounts and then did the stock again when synthetics became popular and prices dropped...This was many years before the .338 Lapua and the much later and popular .338 Edge or my favourite the .338 Kirby Allen Mag.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Your round of choice: .50 BMG

Your Regional Environment:Rural/mountain

Which primary reason best fits your selection? It will stop damn near anything

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: yes

What is your main survival strategy?: BO

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: others

Shot paper with the round: yes
Shot <25 yards?: no
Shot up to 50 yards?:no
Shot up to 100 yards?:no
Shot over 100 yards?:yes
Shot over 200 yards?:yes
Shot over 300+ yards?:yes

Shot small game with the round: LOL. No
- Ate the small game: No
Shot medium game with the round: NO
- Ate the medium game: NO
Shot large game with the round: NO
- Ate the large game: NO

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?:
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?:
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?:

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: 1

Have you already built up around this round?:

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Your round of choice: .223 rem

Your Regional Environment: pacific northwest

Which primary reason best fits your selection? versitility

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: minor(black bear/cougar)

What is your main survival strategy?: bug in

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: family friends

Shot <25 yards?: y
Shot up to 50 yards?: y
Shot up to 100 yards?:y
Shot over 100 yards?:y
Shot over 200 yards?:y
Shot over 300+ yards?:y

Shot small game with the round: y
- Ate the small game: y
Shot medium game with the round: y
- Ate the medium game: y
Shot large game with the round: n
- Ate the large game: n

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Too detailed. I'd take a 165 grain soft point .308 handload. You can take small game just fine if you head shoot it. If you can't head shoot, then you need more training and practice. Works for big game, people, and long enough distances.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although it is fairly precise these are the questions that we bandy about on most threads. Part of the excercise is to collect people's thinking based upon either their area/experience and then use that as a reference point.

If everyone that is in the wide open chooses larger rounds and everyone in swaps chooses a 12 gauge then we can begin to map geographical suggestions for firearms. That and/or stategy baed suggestions.

·
Fugitive Recovery Agent
553 Posts
I say carry what the police and millitary carry that way you can pick up extra ammo as needed. For that reason, I will go with 5.56 Nato AR. that gives me the chance to use 223 as well. Best ever round? No, but popular. How many 357, 308, or 30.06 guns do you think police and goverment still use??? if you knock something down chances are good your find 5.56, 223 and 9MM. like taking candy from a baby.

I have used it in war and for hunting deer. It kills well. I can hit 3 to 4 inch groups at 300 yds and yes I practis monthly with it.

·
The War to end all Wars
623 Posts
Your round of choice: 357 mag with a Lyman 358156 gc bullet

Your Regional Environment: SE, Florida Panhandle

Which primary reason best fits your selection? versatility

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: only the two leg type

What is your main survival strategy?: Stay put, BO option available but not desirable

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: Family

Your experience with the round: >1,000 (probably close to 8,000 rds fired currently)

Shot paper with the round: Lots
Shot <25 yards?: yes
Shot up to 50 yards?: yes
Shot up to 100 yards?: yes - 2in groups
Shot over 100 yards?: yes - working max of 125 - suppressive accuracy to 250
Shot over 200 yards?: not seriously
Shot over 300+ yards?: no

Shot small game with the round: yes
- Ate the small game: only if I had a head shot - not much left otherwise
Shot medium game with the round: yes
- Ate the medium game: yes
Shot large game with the round: yes (SE deer could be considered either medium or large)
- Ate the large game: yes

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?: No
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: Yes
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: Yes

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: Multiple, 6in SW 686 & Rossi 92 20 in

Have you already built up around this round?: Yes to include very portable reloading system (5lbs)

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: Very flexible. Easy to reload and does not require large amounts of components. Weapons also support 38 special which increases its flexibility. Only real limitation is range - its fairly marginal past about 125 yards for game, could get close enough to make you duck to about 250.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your round of choice: 44mag

Your Regional Environment: USA

Which primary reason best fits your selection? hunting, defense

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: no

What is your main survival strategy?: Bug in

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: others

Your experience with the round: over 10k rounds

Shot up to 100 yards?: yes
Shot over 100 yards?: yes

Shot small game with the round: yes
- Ate the small game: not hungry enough to eat opossum
Shot medium game with the round: small feral pigs/deer
- Ate the medium game: yes

OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: yes

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: revolvers and carbines

·
S.S.D.D.
184 Posts
Your round of choice: .308 Win/7.62 NATO 175gr Berger Match Target 43.5gr of IMR, lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers.

Your Regional Environment: Rural, with both plains and mountains

Which primary reason best fits your selection? Versatility

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: Yes

What is your main survival strategy?: BI, engage incoming threats, BO as last resort.

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: With others.

Your experience with the round:>30k

Shot paper with the round:Yes <1.2k
Shot <25 yards?:Yes
Shot up to 50 yards?:Yes
Shot up to 100 yards?:Yes
Shot over 100 yards?:Yes
Shot over 200 yards?:Yes
Shot over 300+ yards?:Yes

Shot small game with the round:Yes
- Ate the small game:Yes
Shot medium game with the round:Yes
- Ate the medium game:Yes
Shot large game with the round:Yes
- Ate the large game:Yes

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?:Yes
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?:Yes
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?:Yes

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?:Multiple (2 Semis, 1 bolt)

Have you already built up around this round?:Yes

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: The load shoots about 0.4 MOA in the turnbolt and just sub MOA with the semis. Probably not the best load for my bolt gun but other loads may not work well in the semis so it is a compromise.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Your round of choice: 5.56x45mm Penetrator FMJ

Your Regional Environment: Semi-Urban

Which primary reason best fits your selection? Fits the majority of my firearms.

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: Humans

What is your main survival strategy?: Stay in the house and use the extremely long line(s) of sight, and our gun toting neighbors, to be wary of anyone approaching.

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?:
Others.
Your experience with the round: Hit various animals, most one hit kills.

Shot <25 yards?: y
Shot up to 50 yards?: y
Shot up to 100 yards?: y
Shot over 100 yards?: y
Shot over 200 yards?: y
Shot over 300+ yards?: If i recall correctly... i'm pretty sure i did the day i put the redfield on my colt AR.

Shot small game with the round: y
- Ate the small game: n
Shot medium game with the round: y
- Ate the medium game: n
Shot large game with the round: yes, with multiple shots.
- Ate the large game: n

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?: n
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: n
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: n

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: Colt HBAR pre-ban and would pick up an AR pistol as soon as possible post SHTF.

Have you already built up around this round?: Yes

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: nope, people who like 5.56 just know.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Your round of choice: 44 Mag - loaded medium hot with soft points, 240 grain. Winchester White Box works just fine but I do like to roll my own with Gold Dots.

Your Regional Environment: Southeastern, tropical. Heavy underbrush. Rarely is a shot taken more than 100 meters around here. Very rarely. It's thick and plush and almost like a jungle in some places. Even above the fall line the pines are so thick the rattlers have a hard time crawling between them.

Which primary reason best fits your selection? Hard hitting, reliable versatility that is deliverable via carbine or pistol.

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: No

What is your main survival strategy?: Bug in - stay home unless there is absolutely no other choice, which I cannot foresee.

Your experience with the round: A lot - practice regularly with it and have taken pigs and deer with it for decades.

Shot <25 yards?: Yes
Shot up to 50 yards?: Yes
Shot up to 100 yards?: Yes
Shot over 100 yards?: Yes
Shot over 200 yards?: No ... 200 is the absolutely limit out of the carbine.
Shot over 300+ yards?: No

Shot small game with the round: Yotes and pigs.
- Ate the small game: Yes, the pigs.
Shot medium game with the round: Hawgs and deer.
- Ate the medium game: Yes
Shot large game with the round: Yes
- Ate the large game: Blacktails

OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: Well, sort of.
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: Yes, well, sort of.

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: Leverguns and revolvers.

Have you already built up around this round?: Sort of ... but for the purpose of this questionnaire, yes. Of course I am not limiting myself to one caliber/cartridge of anything in the real world ... but you did in this thread so I abided by the hypotheticals of your question. :)

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: Next to the 10MM, the 44 Magnum is the finest all-around cartridge ever devised.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
7.62x51mm (.308 WIN) Federal in 150 Grain FMJ, or national match.

Versatile, powerful, accurate and does just about everything like Heard sniper said.
Ill mainly be using my PTR 91 with my Accog.

Iyaayas you will be saidly dissapointed when the time comes to feed your self with that .50 round, good luck with that lol

·
FANG FACE BULLETS!
476 Posts
very tough choice for me. ALOT of great rounds out there for MANY reasons. BUT me being me I have to say my pick is......

Your round of choice: Federal 12g Rifled Slug 2 3/4" TruBallHP

Your Regional Environment: Catskill Mountains/foothills VERY thick brush

Which primary reason best fits your selection? Incredible stopping power up close yet still accurate out to 100yds

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: Yes, black bear mostly

What is your main survival strategy?: Bug in - stay home unless there is absolutely no other choice, which I cannot foresee.

Your experience with the round: Absolutely. Have been shooting federal slugs for close to 15 years. Hunting and target shooting

Shot <25 yards?: Yes
Shot up to 50 yards?: Yes
Shot up to 100 yards?: Yes
Shot over 100 yards?: no
Shot over 200 yards?: No ...Its a 12 ga slug.
Shot over 300+ yards?: No

Shot small game with the round: no
- Ate the small game: no
Shot medium game with the round: deer.
- Ate the medium game: Yes
Shot large game with the round: Yes but not me
- Ate the large game: yes

OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: yes
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: Yes.

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: Sort of. Pump and SxS

Have you already built up around this round?: Yes

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: Federal IMO is one of the best makers of ammunition. Esepcially Shotgun rounds. I like the slug because I can fire them in any action of shotgun and as they are not rifle cartridges, they are still HIGHLY effective out to 100yds.

·
The Owl is on the shed
420 Posts
Your round of choice: 7.62 x 39 mm Winchester cxp 2 123 gr sp

Your Regional Environment: rural wooded hills/farm fields

Which primary reason best fits your selection? defense

Do you have to cover defensive needs for large and/or dangerous animals?: zombies

What is your main survival strategy?: bug in

Are you planning on being alone or with others in a survival strategy?: family

Your experience with the round: about 200 rounds

Shot up to 100 yards?: no
Shot over 100 yards?: no
Shot over 200 yards?: no
Shot over 300+ yards?: no

Shot small game with the round: no
- Ate the small game: no
Shot medium game with the round: no
- Ate the medium game: no
Shot large game with the round: no
- Ate the large game: no

OPTIONAL - Shot at human targets?: no
OPTIONAL - Saw the effect of the round on human targets?: no
OPTIONAL - Read about the effect of the round on human targets?: yes

Do you plan on shooting the round out of a single type of gun or multiple types?: single type

Have you already built up around this round?: not yet

Add any details that you think relevant to your choice: great balance of weight and penetration in my AO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.