Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/constance-mcmillen-fake-p_n_525856.html

A lesbian teen who successfully sued her Mississippi school for the right to bring her girlfriend to prom was left out and was instead directed to a "fake prom" on Friday, according to The Advocate.

Constance McMillen, her date and just a handful of others, including two classmates with learning disabilities, attended the dance in Fulton, Mississippi while most of her other classmates from Itawamba Agricultural High School reportedly partied at a separate prom that McMillen was not invited to.

McMillen made headlines just a few weeks ago when, with the help of the ACLU, she fought the school's decision to cancel prom. The school canceled the dance after McMillen sought to bring her girlfriend and to wear a tuxedo.

As part of a preliminary ruling, a judge decided that McMillen was allowed to bring a girl as a date. The judge did not order the school to reinstate the prom because it was understood that McMillen would be invited to a prom being held by parents of her Itawamba classmates. Instead, that prom was canceled and was replaced with the sparsely attended country club event.

Kristy Bennett, the ACLU's legal director for Mississippi, told NEMS360, that she was disappointed.

"Whatever we find will be brought to the court's attention," Bennett told NEMS. "Whether it is in the damages trial, or whatever. There will still be a trial on the merits. The case didn't end in the preliminary hearing."

McMillen, 18, said that her feelings were hurt, but that there was at least one good thing about the night. The Advocate:

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Whatever the legalities of it, that school behaved very badly.

Telling her that she could come to the Prom but only if she came separately from her girlfriend and was even forbidden to hold hands with her. Then actually cancelling the Prom rather than allow her to come with her girlfriend.

Good grief, i can understand some people not liking homosexuality, but it's wrong to treat someone like that. Imposing conformity on people is wrong, whether it's the State doing it or just the local school.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
It's not about right or wrong. It's all about a teenage girl playing the ACLU and her local school board to get publicity. By cancelling the prom the school board negated her game playing. Now the blowback is going to hit her full bore and she'll whine about that just to keep the publicity going. Publicity. Nothing more. In a few months, this girl will decide that she's no longer a lesbian and she'll eventually end up married to some loser that she can boss around. Let's just wait and see how things turn out in the long run.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
The girl going to the ACLU and the lawsuits seem an over the top reaction, but the School Board behaved badly in the first place. There wouldn't have been any 'game playing' if they'd just let her come to the Prom with whoever and just ignored her if they didn't like how she was dressed or who she was with.

The mature thing to have done would be to have just not risen for the bait of any perceived provocation. Who really cares if some girl wants to just up in a tuxedo rather than in a dress? If she is an attention seeker the best response possible is to ignore her.

At the end of the day, so what if she had come to the Prom in a tuxedo and danced with her girlfriend? Would that really have been such a big deal for everyone else there?

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
The girl going to the ACLU and the lawsuits seem an over the top reaction, but the School Board behaved badly in the first place.

Agreed.

There wouldn't have been any 'game playing' if they'd just let her come to the Prom with whoever and just ignored her if they didn't like how she was dressed or who she was with.

Agreed.

The mature thing to have done would be to have just not risen for the bait of any perceived provocation. Who really cares if some girl wants to just up in a tuxedo rather than in a dress? If she is an attention seeker the best response possible is to ignore her.

Agreed. As a side note, we had a group of girls our senior year that all wore tuxes to prom. They are all straight.

At the end of the day, so what if she had come to the Prom in a tuxedo and danced with her girlfriend? Would that really have been such a big deal for everyone else there?

Agreed.
My wonderous comments above. :)

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Whatever the legalities of it, that school behaved very badly.

Telling her that she could come to the Prom but only if she came separately from her girlfriend and was even forbidden to hold hands with her. Then actually cancelling the Prom rather than allow her to come with her girlfriend.

Good grief, i can understand some people not liking homosexuality, but it's wrong to treat someone like that. Imposing conformity on people is wrong, whether it's the State doing it or just the local school.
I don't beleive the school behaved badly, I think they buckled under and ruined it for the entire student body instead of a handfull of, or 2, students.

When I was in school our events had dress codes. Prom was aTuxedo or suit and tie minumum for males and dresses for females. A couple guys tried showing up with "tuxedo" T-shirts and were released to their parents who told them "I told you so." Another guy showed up in black leather hightops and he also had to set out until his parents brought him a pair of dress shoes. A girl showed up in her mom's 'stripper' dress that was a bit too short. She was set aside until mom brought her a more appropriate dress, also telling her "I told you so."

If the school had a dress code and stuck to it this would have been a non-issue. Way back when we had a handfull of girls showing up with there 'girl friends'. They hung out together, they danced together, and they were not allowed to make out together just like every other couple in attendance. (yup, they walked up and told us to knock it off or we would be released to our parents) Rules are rules, follow them.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Rules are rules, follow them.
Do you really believe that?

Obey, conform, do as you are told, be the same as everyone else.

At the end of year dance at my local school the dress code is formal 'black and white' for the boys. So one boy turned up in a Panda costume.

People need to lighten up. If some girl wants to come to a Prom in a tuxedo she isn't spoiling it for anyone, it's the people who overreact and try and then shut down the Prom who are really causing the problems.

·
woefully unprepared
1,488 Posts
The best revenge is throwing the biggest party and sucking attendance dry. Prom--supporting the tuxedo and ball gown industry since 1893. Rules? Whaaa...stay inside the lines, kids.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Do you really believe that?
Yes.

The problem is a small percentage of people believe it is OK to do what THEY want because, "honestly now, it isn't that big a deal, no one is getting hurt by this, it is just a little fun thing, other people need to conform, we just want to express ourselves, they are over reacting, can't we all just get along?"

A few loudmouths yell and complain and get news coverage and the majority of the population ignores them, until the majority has to conform. BUT, if anyone in the majority speaks up they are the ones acting out of line.

·
I'll bring the rope.
1,354 Posts
...if they'd just let her come to the Prom with whoever and just ignored her...
Well, for an attention whore, that would defeat the purpose. The last thing this chick wants is to be ignored, and I think that is the crux of the matter.

She's not screaming "I'm a lesbian of convenience! I am oppressed!"

She is actually yelling "Look at me! C'mon, look at me! Jeez people, look at meeeee!"

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
The problem is a small percentage of people believe it is OK to do what THEY want because, "honestly now, it isn't that big a deal, no one is getting hurt by this, it is just a little fun thing, other people need to conform, we just want to express ourselves, they are over reacting, can't we all just get along?"
The 'problem' is that some people think it is OK for a girl to go to a Prom dressed in a tuxedo and dance with her girlfriend.

How exactly is that a problem? I honestly don't understand why anyone would care.

A few loudmouths yell and complain and get news coverage and the majority of the population ignores them, until the majority has to conform. BUT, if anyone in the majority speaks up they are the ones acting out of line.
Actually, the only way the 'loudmouths' get news coverage is if people react. The best way to deal with loudmouth attention seekers is to do exactly what they do NOT want you to do, which is to ignore them. So a girl comes to a Prom in a tuxedo and dances with her girlfriend. What is the problem with just ignoring that? It would certainly prevent them getting any attention and if they are doing it to provoke then being provoked is just playing into their hands and if they really aren't looking for publicity, but just genuinely want to come to the Prom as a girl-girl couple, then what is the problem?

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Well, for an attention whore, that would defeat the purpose. The last thing this chick wants is to be ignored, and I think that is the crux of the matter.
That's the whole point.

If she really is an 'attention whore' then the perfect way of dealing with her is to ignore her and deny her the response that gives her all this publicity.

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
So a group of private citizens held a private party.

Somebody didn't get invited...:xeye:

What's the hubub, bub ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts