1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
can't go wrong w/ any SKS

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow.. He's got the best of both worlds by modifying his stock the way he did..

I've never seen an aftermarket stock that I really liked and I love the wood grain of my Yugo, that can still be seen and felt through my camo.. I've never considered the ability to add a pistol grip to mine the way he did.. Definitely something to consider.. And as I just found out this week, changing out the 10 round fixed mag for 30 round removables is cake.

Still going back and forth about the sight mount, but for a scout position it seems to be the best approach as the gas tube cover isn't tight enough for that kind of application..

Check out this page showing installation of a sight mounted scope base... Seems like a fairly easy project.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/sksscoutscopemnt/index.asp

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That rifle looks good.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
WTF???
Canada Post???? The SKS is limited to five round fixed mag up here, folks. Wonder what's up with that, does Canada Post do deliveries specifically from US to US destinations as well?
(Edit) I read the blog's subtitle. Is there some legal loophole I haven't heard about?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
WTF???
Canada Post???? The SKS is limited to five round fixed mag up here, folks. Wonder what's up with that, does Canada Post do deliveries specifically from US to US destinations as well?
(Edit) I read the blog's subtitle. Is there some legal loophole I haven't heard about?
Probably moded to take 5 rounds only. I can't see posting pics on the internet having high cap mags especially being from Canada.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Probably moded to take 5 rounds only. I can't see posting pics on the internet having high cap mags especially being from Canada.
A, good point. Nice SKS as well.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I guess I am a purist. I love the SKS for what it is, a fine rifle within it's own right. I would never attempt to make it look like an AK. I believe it is not limited by it's ten round magazine either. It takes a little time to learn to use stripper clips effectively but once you have it down it is very quick. I even use strippers for my M1A.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may be my next project, i'm worried about the durability of the stock after being cut like that, though.

I tried using coconuts as targets and they work very well. I can hit one at 100 yards very easly with open sights. beyound that i need a red dot.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i love strippers, i'd grab them over a mag anyday.

mags are nice for target shooting, MOUT/CQB opperations where you go home at the end of the day and can compleatly tear the rifle down and clean it.

when you caring everything weight is the killer, why wast space and make your load heaver with expinsive bulky mags, besides there the #1 weak spot of most all firearms.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
That above was one reason I spent the money and bought my M1A first.
Best of both worlds, mags and stripper clip use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess I am a purist. I love the SKS for what it is, a fine rifle within it's own right. I would never attempt to make it look like an AK. I believe it is not limited by it's ten round magazine either. It takes a little time to learn to use stripper clips effectively but once you have it down it is very quick. I even use strippers for my M1A.
+1, the SKS is underrated and deserves more respect than what it gets. You can become very proficient at stripper clips, so high cap magazines are not an issue with these.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I do too.
I got mine from DSA.
Once find a decent top cover for my FAL rifles I'll use stippers with them as well.
Do you find the ten round strippers work well? I am finding more and more of a hard time finding five round stripper clips. They are up to $40.00 a hundred.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
i love strippers
The ones down by the docks look like they've been around, though. Ho ho ho.
I like stripper clips too. Very fast, lighter than mags, and you can just toss the empties into a pocket.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Do you find the ten round strippers work well? I am finding more and more of a hard time finding five round stripper clips. They are up to $40.00 a hundred.
10 rounders are on ebay like mad for next to nothing.. I have to say that I am totally comfortable using stripper clips as well.. I purchased a 30 round mag just to see how it performed and to be able to target shoot out back for longer periods between reloads.. But I have to say after fooling around with putting the mag in and out, I am just as fast, if not faster with the stripper clips. I like the looks of the gun with the mag and may buy a few more after I'm sure the gun is reliable with it.. but in a SHTF scenario, I may reseort back to using the stripper clips..

The main thing I hate about stripper clips is putting the freeking cartridges on them.. WHAT A PAIN!! But once they're on (and I already have very many, full and ready to go) they are very easy to load.

I've never seen a 5 rounder....

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I've had a hard time finding the 5 round strippers, as the milsurp is all 10. So now I just push a space on the stripper after the first five rounds, then when I go to reload I just stick my thumb in the space and put the rounds in, then re-pocket the stripper holding the remaining five rounds. Bit of a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
10 rounders are on ebay like mad for next to nothing.. I have to say that I am totally comfortable using stripper clips as well.. I purchased a 30 round mag just to see how it performed and to be able to target shoot out back for longer periods between reloads.. But I have to say after fooling around with putting the mag in and out, I am just as fast, if not faster with the stripper clips. I like the looks of the gun with the mag and may buy a few more after I'm sure the gun is reliable with it.. but in a SHTF scenario, I may reseort back to using the stripper clips..

The main thing I hate about stripper clips is putting the freeking cartridges on them.. WHAT A PAIN!! But once they're on (and I already have very many, full and ready to go) they are very easy to load.

I've never seen a 5 rounder....
Not to hijack this thread, the five round strippers are for the M1A and the older guns, 1903, Mauser, etc. Different strippers for different guns. I will sit and reload them on an evening. I try to keep a thousand rounds loaded for everything.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
I like stripper clips, fast, light, durable, I look stupid changing clips in the SKS, never had a manual, just figured it out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts