Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering starting a "Preparedness" Store here on the farm. We have a small steel business, but have always wanted to do this. Some thoughts are start selling Mountain House bulk grains, accessories books etc... on craigslist to begin with and also some gun shows. Have thought about the flea market, but the one in Memphis has really gone down hill. So, the reason for the post is, what are you guys thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have several survival-oriented domain names as well as ebay and am thinking the same thing.it is a booming enviroment for prep/survival biz and it is going to get better as times get harder.
your customer base and customer access would be more limited on a farm but if you are near a post office you could sell to the whole world.i sold collectibles on ebay regularly a few years ago and shipped to customers all over the world and payment went straight to paypal and straight into my bank account.
hope you make a fortune in these coming depressionary times.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd go for it. Now is the time because everyone seems to be into preparedness. I know I'd probably browse through an online store to see if you had anything interesting.:thumb:

BLT

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
I live in Memphis. I would drive out to your farm if you had preps for sale that I wanted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
also i saw on cnbc an investment advisor is investing in a chain of pawn shops that is listed in the stock market because he says many more people will be selling to help them pay bills and many people will be buying to save money.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Think you have a good idea, particularly since it can be integrated into what you are already doing. I sure wish we had a local craigs list!

It also strikes me as a good way to meet folks of like mind that are fairly local to you, which is perhaps a very good thing.

I attend a fair number of auctions each month and for the most part sell what I do not choose to keep via our little penny paper. Thought about eBay but the fees seem a bit much, considered a web-site, but not sure I am techie enough to run one and I frankly prefer the one on one dealings.

Anyhow, good luck and be sure to post a link when you get up and running or better yet check out Kev's program for folks with web-sites, it is very reasonable from what I have seen!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am with godaddy.com and they have very easy to use website builders that us non-techies can use.just upload images and add text and a paypal button or merchant account.also make sure whatever you sell through the site or ebay should be light and small due to shipping costs.may not be enough profit shipping 50 pound bags of grains so stick with survival kits,gas masks,gun clips,etc.gunbroker.com is the site i use to sell guns and other items ebay has banned.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Don't plan on it paying all your bills.

Even with the current "rush", there hasn't been a time since the late 90's that most folks made "real" money in this industry.

It comes and goes, goes more than comes to be honest.

Since 1992 the best years were 1996, 98 and 99, starved in 2000 and most of 2001, did a year's worth of business in a month after 9/11- course had a pile of libtards from NY and NJ try to return gas masks and suits after MTV and the gubmint told them they did not need them- this was DURING the Anthrax attacks I might add. Late 2007 and this year have been on the upswing but still not 1/10 of 1998.

With the advent of the internet, every dumbarse that can set up a website can be "in business." Back in the day no one knew you if you weren't spending bucks advertising in magazines like American Survival Guide. That gave the consumer a lot more confidence as a company that was willing to spend $1,500. a page for ads wasn't likely to screw them over a $50.00 order. Now with the Johnny Come Lately's on the net it's another story. Lots of "new" companies cropped up in 1999 with "y2k" in there name. I can't think of ONE that lasted. In late 2001 quite a few companies cropped with to cash in on 9/11, very few of them made it.

Don't expect to get rich quick, it ain't gonna happen. Do NOT quit your day job, seriously. Really the best perk is that you'll be getting your supplies at wholesale, which helps tremendously if you are seriously prepping.

I've been in this industry since 1992, in late 2000 I started another business just to pay the bills, now 8 years later the other business is doing great and supporting us and the prep business is just gravy. If it was the other way around I would have been hurting the last 8 years.....

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to give you some heads up from someone who has BTDT for over 16 years. :thumb:

Lowdown3

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh well...then guess i can try to auction off some of my domain names.a friend sold monalisa.com for $50,000 which is quite a profit for paying $8.95 for it.but i think that this will be a long lasting period of hard times so it still may be worth a shot.

forbes had a great article about this.

Associated Press
Survivalist business booms as economy flails
By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS , 12.01.08, 12:13 PM EST

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/12/01/ap5760797.html

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I think that there is a serious need for a really good survival store. Trouble is that Mountain House products don't make it. We need more and we need better. We, as a group, also need more training and special people to give us the training. So if you set up operation, think of setting up as a store, training site and developer of new concepts and ideas. Mountain House products by themselves won't get the job done.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good ideas, keep them coming. I have done the dot.com deal, now really leaning in that direction. There is just no where around here locally that has the stuff that I am always looking for. Mountain House is just one of the companies I would consider. I've looked at everything from solar battery chargers, to food, to books.
As far as coming to the farm, I am not at all for just anyone on the homestead. That is why I was looking at doing some shows to see the response. The craigslist, I would meet and greet in a public place. I am not paranoid, just feel everyone is out to get me.:) Even members here I would want to meet in a neutral place and let both of us decide from there if we have things in common. Most that I have met from other forums have been no problem. But I digress.
Reason for starting is not to get rich. I have had a few small businesses and anyone that has had one knows it usually ends up with you making less an hour than the employees. I was looking at this as a win-win. Selling something I believe in, meeting like minded people, and if things get really bad, I am sitting on a commodity that can be eaten unlike my steel shop. Anyone for another plate of 11ga. mild steel, how about some 1 1/2 angle with that?

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I would like to get an outdoor, adventure, Survival store going.

The idea is to sell everything a survivalist would need, but actually cater to the outdoor adventurer, particularly backpackers and long distance hikers and such.

I started with a wholesale account with a good military surplus warehouse (www.foxoutdoor.com), but so far I can't even get you guys to buy from me.... :(

I have great GI military back packs too, great for bugout bags.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i say good idea. the camping stores around here don't carry alot of stuff, just the basics. i think if u were able to offer a few kinds of food that would be kick a##. like mres freeze dried, dehydrated... i could go on for hours. i would go for it. u will have my business.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It really depends on where you are. There is a shop in Northern Ky. that is struggling even with the bad times.
www.gearupnky.com
I would actually talk to a shop or two out of your area before deciding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts