Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know these passages. Our conservative Baptist King James Bible church has been without a pastor for quite awhile now. I'm on the pulpit committee. We have made zero progress towards finding a new pastor. The reason is that the chairman, whom I love, has taken the position that we should just WAIT and the man we need will show up.

We have a meeting coming up and I've become convinced that waiting on the Lord is not what we should be doing and I know that there are MANY passages that say trust the Lord, but also be busy doing his work. I could use some help with passages that I could use to change the bosses mind.

AND, we have done nothing to advertise our need of pastor. If anyone knows of a man who would consider being a pastor of a small, 30-40 normal Sunday, conservative King James Baptist church please PM me. We are in Wyoming on the edge of the rocky mountains, in a small town, and have a parsonage.

·
Автомат
1,772 Posts
We all know these passages. Our conservative Baptist King James Bible church has been without a pastor for quite awhile now. I'm on the pulpit committee. We have made zero progress towards finding a new pastor. The reason is that the chairman, whom I love, has taken the position that we should just WAIT and the man we need will show up.

We have a meeting coming up and I've become convinced that waiting on the Lord is not what we should be doing and I know that there are MANY passages that say trust the Lord, but also be busy doing his work. I could use some help with passages that I could use to change the bosses mind.

AND, we have done nothing to advertise our need of pastor. If anyone knows of a man who would consider being a pastor of a small, 30-40 normal Sunday, conservative King James Baptist church please PM me. We are in Wyoming on the edge of the rocky mountains, in a small town, and have a parsonage.
Exactly what are the pastoral duties in a Baptist church like yours? In the absence of a pastor, does your congregation still gather for worship on Sunday? If so, exactly what is lacking? You can still sing hymns. Anyone who can read can read passages aloud from the KJV. You can set up a schedule of scriptural readings which prepare the congregation for the various events of the Christian year ie Christmas, Easter, Pentecost, etc. If there are members of your congregation who can prepare and deliver a basic sermon which tie in those scriptural readings, perhaps your church community can go forward without bringing in a pastor from the outside.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
We all know these passages. Our conservative Baptist King James Bible church has been without a pastor for quite awhile now.
What happened to him? Who is preaching now?

we should just WAIT and the man we need will show up.
What does that philosophy look like translated into real life?

If anyone knows of a man who would consider being a pastor of a small, 30-40 normal Sunday, conservative King James Baptist church please PM me. We are in Wyoming on the edge of the rocky mountains, in a small town, and have a parsonage.
As small as your church is, it sounds as if whoever you bring in as a pastor is going to have to look for some sort of a second job to support himself? Perhaps that's part of the issue?

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

I wouldn't rush it! The very best "church" I've ever attended was a Bible Study group of up to 20 people. There was usually only about 8 that showed up routinely. I learned more about the Bible during that time than ALL of my times spent in various churches listening to a preacher. Don't get me wrong ... I have learned a lot from some of those preachers but the informal, Bible Study worked very well for me. We all read from the Bible then discussed what we learned. We had various Bibles present for comparison and we always had Concordances and Lexicons handy. We prayed together; sang hymns together; laid hands on each other if someone was suffering from an illness or was experiencing a crisis. We did everything we could to live as Christ and the Apostles lived. We all prayed for the presence and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

But if and when you do choose a pastor he should meet this criteria:

1 Timothy 3:1-7, "This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil."

Reactions: bilmac and Off-Grid

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Here's another good passage:

Titus 1:4-16, "4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;

9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."

I feel chastised by that final verse. I could NEVER be a bishop (overseer) of a church.

Reactions: bilmac

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have had a missionary group sponsored Pastor substitute guy filling in. That is his job, filling in so that especially missionary pastors can leave their home churches for extended periods. We have at least three Bible school graduates that could do a credible job and will probably fill in when needed but don't plan to be pastors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reminds me of a story I heard as a youg'un.

Missionary travelled long distances each week, on foot. She prayed and prayed for a bicycle. She could carry more, go further, and do it more quickly. Eventually, discouraged, she asked in prayer why she had never been given a bicycle. She wasn't asking for much.
Gods answer was she had never stated what color she wanted. She said, I believe, was blue. The next day she was given a blue bicycle.

My point is, pray with some details. Maybe God is merely waiting to be asked. It can also be God is waiting for certain individuals to get out of the way. Lastly, God very well could be working on your new pastor, but issues on the that end are holding up your end. New pastor not willing to move yet, new pastor at other church not positioned yet. There is so much God does for us we NEVER EVER see or think of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts