Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical situation....Long term TEOTWAWKI....You have managed to plant subsistence vegetable crops, all outside sources of food have dried up,You have to continually guard your food sources from not only animals but starving people....It is a moonlit night and you see human forms lurking in your corn crop, hearing them tearing ears from the stalks, you hear childrens voices, muffled adult voices....You bring your rifle up to fire on what looks like a male form, and fire, certermass from thirty yards....the form slumps over and you hear children and female screams and they are hovering around the fallen form....By this time, other members of your survival group surround the thieves, you find six children, very malnourished, along with two teenage males, and woman in her late forties....The man you killed was her husband ..
What do you do with the rest of them, do you execute them or make them part of your group or just run them off....
Remember, this is a long term TEOTWAWKI, living is hard and people are brutal and merciless for the most part....
CONSCIENCE QUESTION, What do you do?????

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
run them off you come back and steal again from us it won't just be one of you next time it'll be all of you!!!

what father would bring there whole family into a garden guarded by fire arms to steal food. the 2 teen boys maybe but thats it.

be survival minded you have to make the hard choices. next spring might come late and what they could have taken you might have needed to can and see you thru that long winter. theres no reset button on the game of life folks.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Highlander,

You've been watching too many science fiction movies......You think you've metamorphed into a Gorilla!!!!!! Seriously though, what would YOU do???

·
eibweN
374 Posts
i think everything would be dictated by what you have available. how many people do you have with you, what are their ages and then so on. then I would evaluate if they would drain my resources too much to keep them around, the teenagers might be good laborers, and the children might be the future of your group. so with that in mind either offer to let them stay and follow your rules, or tell them if they come back they too will die.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
1975 - rural Mississippi.

Heard...'folks'...stealing our watermelons on a dark night.

12 gauge pump with bird shot powered over their heads sent them scurrying, and I mean cursing and snapping of branches scurrying. Shot from a distance that even if someone got peppered, it would not have been life-threatening.

They did not come back.

At least not until after I left to return to Arizona in 1977.

In a TEOTWAWKI situation, anyone stealing your food is a clear and present danger to you and your loved ones. Nobody wants to harm children, but in the scenario above, the...'parents'...are not only trying to feed their young (hopefully), but are teaching them to be takers.

Would not decent, honest folk approach you in broad daylight and ask if you have any to spare to keep their young from starvation? Perhaps try to barter something, anything, work, whatever, for the food?

Tough call.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chibbers,

In the hypothetical situation, they were stealing the corn....Your only source of food is what you are growing and animals are now scarce to hunt...If you take them in, you may not have enough for your survival group.....

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pete and Kregener....

It would be a tough call, you have to keep in mind that if you do bring them in to your group, there will linger a hatred for you and later they may kill you, not counting the fact that food is extremely scarce....
Given the parameters, I would have to execute them for the survival of my group, I would feel terrible about it, but as I said it was brutal, merciless times....

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
First off, I wouldn't have shot. Hearing childrens voices would have stopped me from doing that.
I would have fired over their heads *for effect*. Yelled at them to "Halt! Or I will shoot you!"
Hopefully, they would halt. I would tell them to slowly approach me and get other members of my group to cover me and shine flashlights on the approaching group.
From there, I would ascertain their situation, what skills they had, etc.
I would more than likely help them in whatever manner I could, perhaps take them into my group, perhaps not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
After you shot their father it would not be very clever to let them into the group. If they asked me before stealing I would not be able to say no.

In a long term situation there will be zillions of helpless beggars, who do you help? I think it would be best to be in an extremely remote location where you only have to deal with one or two families that happen by. Or find a way to farm totaly underground, like those people in "blast from the past" with their fish and vegies in pots (unrealistic I know).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Seriously though... If your garden is important enough for you to just blindly shoot people for without question, then you would most likely have put the effort into securing it better.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts