Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years we have been disparaged. Ridiculed and mocked.

At best--we were regarded as slightly odd and somewhat comic eccentrics. Busily squirreling away canned goods and bottled water. The gist of "reality" TV shows such as Doomsday Preppers. Entertainment for the masses.

At worst--we were considered dangerous paranoiacs. On the "watch list" of the FBI and Homeland Security.

Well my Fellow Preppers---let's pause a moment and give us all a nice pat on the back.

As recent events have shown, we have been VINDICATED!

Yes, I know some will say that this current situation isn't a "real" test. But it's as close to a SHTF-event we've seen. And prepared for. Something far more than a localized disaster, such as a hurricane.

And the verdict is still very much "up in the air", as to how the present situation will play out. At present, we are in Act I. Act II is still to come. It may end the current drama with a whimper and a bust. But then, there's always the possibility that the "climax" of the play is still to come.

I'm not gloating. But "if" at the end of all this and the dust settles and we have the chance: I think we preppers should all play the part of the Industrious Ant. And give our Lazy Grasshopper neighbors a lecture or two.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
It is nice ... isn't it?

Unfortunately, we ants could lecture the grasshoppers all day but they will still be grasshoppers and we'll still be ants. We will never be able to change the leopard's spots.

Nevertheless, this entire fiasco has been stress-free (from my point of view). I'm just glad I got out of the big city when I did.

·
MortarMaggot
3,389 Posts
IDK about vindicated, mostly what I'm seeing is we went from kooks who stockpile stuff for something that will never happen, to evil hoarders trying to keep everyone else from having supplies. Once this dies down we'll either go back to being fairly harmless kooks who stockpile or kooks who hoard stuff & should be punished for doing so.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Reviewed my stores and locked and loaded for when people start becoming idiots.

Only thing I never considered adding to my prep was an abundance of TP. Granted, I can survive just fine without but it is one of those conveniences that will be added to my prep going forward.

And for those who horded TP for a respiratory disease, I hope that TP taste Grrrreat when you're out food!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
IDK about vindicated, mostly what I'm seeing is we went from kooks who stockpile stuff for something that will never happen, to evil hoarders trying to keep everyone else from having supplies. Once this dies down we'll either go back to being fairly harmless kooks who stockpile or kooks who hoard stuff & should be punished for doing so.
Actually, I think more people will take note of how quickly supplies can run out and will look survivalist in a little different light. Not for all, mind you, but I suspect some who once thought of us kooks as more like cautiously reasonable preppers.

·
MortarMaggot
3,389 Posts
Actually, I think more people will take note of how quickly supplies can run out and will look survivalist in a little different light. Not for all, mind you, but I suspect some who once thought of us kooks as more like cautiously reasonable preppers.
There will be some who see the light, I won't argue that, but to think that 51% or better of the population will become long term preppers and or have great respect for preppers is a fallacy IMO.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Cant say I feel vindicated at all. Other than a pandemic, hasnt preparedness helped make your life better in a million other ways, helped many times before already when things went south? If anything the sensation I'm getting is more bitter than anything else, as if its our foult that us preparing made this happen, or that we are secrelty glad all of this is happening becuase it proves out point some how. When I bought rice in bulk a couple months ago no one gave me a second look. I buy half that amount now and I get that stink eye look as if I'm some kind of hoarder.
I hope this runs its course with as little violence and disruption as possible.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
There will be some who see the light, I won't argue that, but to think that 51% or better of the population will become long term preppers and or have great respect for preppers is a fallacy IMO.
Ah hell no. Out of 100% of the people who think preppers are kooks, I think at the VERY best 20% will see prepping in a different light.

Granted, when the bottom falls out of the economy and it will, and chaos ensues, that 20% will surely change.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think there's any point at which the unconverted will go from "preppers are dumb" to "damn I need to buy some Mountain House when this is all over!" This isn't THE EVENT, but if/when THE EVENT comes, if anything, the observed behavior of the grasshoppers is that they'll go right from "preppers are dumb" to "let's go find the preppers and try to take their stuff!".

·
The Power of the Glave
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think there's any point at which the unconverted will go from "preppers are dumb" to "damn I need to buy some Mountain House when this is all over!" This isn't THE EVENT, but if/when THE EVENT comes, if anything, the observed behavior of the grasshoppers is that they'll go right from "preppers are dumb" to "let's go find the preppers and try to take their stuff!".

The "observed behavior" you mention is an excellent point. Especially with regards to the current situation.

And the lesson we as preppers should take-away from the present situation is: that even a relatively minor disruption/SHTF will VERY QUICKLY lead to panic on the part of the majority. And by extension: a really MAJOR event would quickly turn into a no-holds barred free-for-all chaos.

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
I see no vindication
So there is a shortage of toilet-paper and hand-sanitizer
Plenty of food
The run on ammo is no different than 8 years of Hussien

Where is the vindication ?????
If people were starving and there was widespread rioting and lawlessness
I would agree 100%

Mommy I can't wipe my arse
Mommy where is the hand-sanitizer ?????

But I will say an amen
That this is a shadow of what we can expect
That this is a small test

·
Retired *****
18,270 Posts
The culture around here (Utah) never bats an eye at food storage, which is what this is.

I really don't give a rip what the outside world thinks of us and our practices.

"Let them eat cake."

The phrase was first attributed to Marie Antoinette in 1789, supposedly having been uttered during one of the famines that occurred in France during the reign of her husband, Louis XVI.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Dear husband, who was never a believer but never complained much and even helped with the big things, asked today if we had enough sanitizers and such. I tossed him the keys to the closet in the garage where I keep such non-food things and told him to see if he could decide what I didn't have enough of.

He came back with a stupid look on his face and gave me the grump he always does when he sees me come home with ridiculous amounts of things... "Geez Babe, did you plan on cleaning Colorado?"

I told him to be grateful his wife loves him and his children enough to buy food and soap instead of Gucci purses and fashionable shoes. Instead of more grumping I got a cuddle.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts