Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congaree, congaree, there ain't no place I'd rather be...

OK my wife and I have a plan to go Acadia in June, but I can't wait that long for a major camping trip, we are going to hit a state park later this month, but I want to get down to Congaree in late march or early april.

Anyone from the area? I figure you folks are good resources. I'd like to borrow or rent a canoe somewhere near the park.

Also any info about the park from people that have been there is great.

I am currently getting the USGS maps, but if you have maps you can send, that would be helpful as well. I can trade maps of Big Bend, Shenandoah, or several cool places in Arkansas, that I have been to and are not now on the List, for instance i have a good map with notes to Sandstone Castles in AK.

Let me know if you can help me plan our trip.

E-F

·
Registered
91 Posts
From the area

It used to be known as Congaree Swamp before it became a NP. Its a nice place that time of year. Not too hot, but do bring insect repellent. There is a short boardwalk trail which was damaged in several places last year in our ice storm. They left it alone since it was due to be replaced/refurbed this year anyway. I'd call ahead to see what the trail conditions are. Also, heavy rains may cause much of the backcountry to be flooded. Get good maps and bring a compass if you are going backcountry. It is really easy to get turned around and lose your bearings. All the big trees begin to look alike. The canoe trip is something I've wanted to do but haven't gotten around to it. Wish I had a canoe to lend.

There are HUGE old growth trees and I've seen a good bit of local wildlife.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They have guided canoe/ kayak tours on some Saturdays but space is limited. I used to be a volunteer that helped with those several years ago. The park has their own canoes but I don't know if they can be used at times other than the Saturday tours.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks to you both!

Good info.

Particularly to Ipchay, but GC please chime in,

we are thinking of doing this as a canoe trip. We generally prefer to be off on our own, preferably out in backcountry. This would be a three day trip. We are experienced backpackers, eat three day AT sections for lunch and ask for seconds, good desert experience, some sea kayaking. I have canoed Northern Lakes, wife is still new on the water.

I have NGS survey maps of the area now, but I'm not sure how reliable they are, and how the water levels will be.

Think our hope is to get out deep in the swamp with a canoe, a couple of drybags worth of gear, and an indomintable attitude for exploration.

One thing I worry about is finding good dry ground for camp.

I kind of see this trip as a dry (pun intended) run for a future Everglades trip, that is one NP that kind of scares me.

I am a mountain and woods hiker, and have canoed many lakes and rivers, we want to get in and get to know the swamp.

Any advice is welcome

TBS

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I canoed it a few years back........16 miles through that mosquito filled swamp. this will be your best friend http://www.thermacell.com/
I know! Somebody described it on another forum to me as 'a mosquito filled hell of stagnant water mud and giant trees, whose roots reach out for no reason other than to try to tip your canoe'

We totally have to get out there. I am very excited for the trip.

·
Crazy
5,576 Posts
I know! Somebody described it on another forum to me as 'a mosquito filled hell of stagnant water mud and giant trees, whose roots reach out for no reason other than to try to tip your canoe'

We totally have to get out there. I am very excited for the trip.
Dont touch the mud on the bottom. If you paddle hits the bottom the mud release this awful bubble that smell like sewage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts