Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing I'd really like to add to my collection is a nice tactical rifle. I've only fired a couple of these. I've got a handgun and shotgun, but my belief - right or wrong - is that a tactical rifle is really a do-it-all kind of home defense weapon.

While I have never fired a Daniel Defense DDM series, they've really got the kind of feature set I'd want. Only... can't get them here. I have no interest in building my own weapon from random parts. Not trying to become an expert. Just want a solid package that's easy to clean / maintain and can work well from 30 feet to 300 feet.

My understanding is pre-ban lowers potentially make something legal. It seems that just about anything you could get is going to be at least $1,000 and maybe more. This just isn't in my budget right now, but when I can swing it, it's a major To Do item. I definitely want to be legal because I'll need to take this thing to a range.

Anyone else in same boat? What are you planning to configure / buy?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pre bans are completely legal here. You can put whatever scary collapsing stock or scary black fore grip and it will still be legal. I know someone who bought a complete pre ban a few months ago. Cost him around $1300. I've been seeing lowers for around 700-800 lately. If money is an issue just buy the lower for ~700 and slowly build it up as funds allow. I think it's just about your only option if that's the style rifle you're looking for.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,398 Posts
Pre bans are completely legal here. You can put whatever scary collapsing stock or scary black fore grip and it will still be legal. I know someone who bought a complete pre ban a few months ago. Cost him around $1300. I've been seeing lowers for around 700-800 lately. If money is an issue just buy the lower for ~700 and slowly build it up as funds allow. I think it's just about your only option if that's the style rifle you're looking for.
I have been getting varying answers on whether or not pre-bans (pre-1994-bans) have to be registered. I had one and never registered it, but I may have been in "violation" of that particular law.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been getting varying answers on whether or not pre-bans (pre-1994-bans) have to be registered. I had one and never registered it, but I may have been in "violation" of that particular law.
Nope, pre bans do not need to be registered. They are still legal for sale and transfer. Confirmed by multiple FFLs and the shop my buddy bought his from a couple months ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same boat I'm in also.
Only riffle I currently have is a new 10/22 takedown.
I've been seeing a lot of preban lowers for about $800 +/-, way out of my league but saving up. Good news is the scare/ rape prices are going down significantly. A lot of shops have complete prebans ( AR 15 )starting at around $1100 and up. Maybe not top of the line but you can always upgrade on most designs and put whatever you want on them as long as they are the preban models. I've considered the sks and the mini 14 but something about the ar15 that I'm just really attracted to.

After a lot of research on the three riffles I still want a ar15.
I'm going to wait it out a little more before dropping $800 for a preban lower or $1100 for a used and abused ar15. I'll probably buy a lower and build one out to my needs and purpose.

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
Really? There is a State worse than CA? Not to make light of your situation, but I have found that if you do your research, there is usually a way around most obstacles. They may not be easy or cheap, but you have to decide what is acceptable to you.

Myself, I can live with a bullet button which I can change out in a couple of minutes and mags that I can pull the block out of in about the same time, or building an 80% lower.

·
Merely a free thinker
164 Posts
You don't need to be an expert to build your own AR. I happened to have gotten some lowers right before the ban. I put in a DPMS lower parts kit, and pined on complete uppers. Upper is the difficult part and you can buy them assembled.

I know you wanted AR, but there may be alternatives.

Have you considered the mini-14? Many models are not covered by the ban, and they fire the same round as the ar-15. It is based on the M-14, a reliable rifle with a great record. I have never owned mini-14 but have M-14 and is is a smooth rifle, easy to clean and operate. Mini-14 also had guard for operating-rod so you don't pinch your fingers. I always had me eye on that rifle.

·
Merely a free thinker
164 Posts
The CA model gets around that rule here in California because it can't be fired when folded, I'm not sure if it would pass in CT.
[(3)] (E) Any semiautomatic firearm [not listed in subdivision (1) of
1221 this subsection] regardless of whether such firearm is listed in
1222 subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless
1223 of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following
1224 criteria:
1225 [(A)] (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept
1226 a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following:
1227 [(i)] (I) A folding or telescoping stock;

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/s/pdf/2013SB-01160-R00-SB.pdf

No clause for "if it can't fire with stock folded". You can read the full text if you want, it is very long and depressing

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
[(3)] (E) Any semiautomatic firearm [not listed in subdivision (1) of
1221 this subsection] regardless of whether such firearm is listed in
1222 subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless
1223 of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following
1224 criteria:
1225 [(A)] (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept
1226 a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following:
1227 [(i)] (I) A folding or telescoping stock;

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/s/pdf/2013SB-01160-R00-SB.pdf

No clause for "if it can't fire with stock folded". You can read the full text if you want, it is very long and depressing
Bummer, I'm sorry to see anyone with worse regs than CA.

·
New England Prepper
208 Posts
Second on the Mini 14. It's really the only .223 w/ detachable mags that you are going to be safe with for now.

You could get a Spikes AR. They install a .22 conversion and block the buffer tube to make it legal but otherwise it's a standard AR. All you really have to do convert it to 556 is pick up a BCG and buffer/spring.

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
Second on the Mini 14. It's really the only .223 w/ detachable mags that you are going to be safe with for now.

You could get a Spikes AR. They install a .22 conversion and block the buffer tube to make it legal but otherwise it's a standard AR. All you really have to do convert it to 556 is pick up a BCG and buffer/spring.
The SU16-CA is also "safe" at least here, and uses standard AR mags, it doesn't even need a bullet button in CA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 1994 preban colt ar15, and a mini 14 model 583. I highly recommend a mini!!! My rifle eats every type of ammo that I feed it. It is very accurate, and there's just something about that wood stock that puts a smile on my face every time I pick her up..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts