Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only do raw cow or goat milk here, but I know that WTSHTF that won't be something I can count on, as the dairy farmer trucks up the millk every other week from about 90 miles away.

I need to stash some milk alternatives. I priced powdered non-fat milk at WM today and HOLY CRAP that is expensive stuff. I'm sure it has to rank right up there with artificial baby formula ;) (melamine and all) so I'm not too keen on buying it and prefer milk with fat. (I strongly believe today's American diet is starving our kids from *good* fat and making them obese from the over-processed chemicals sold as food, nevermind what it's doing to their brains and I refuse to bust my a$$ to survive only to poison my family with crap.)

We don't do anything soy, I'm not a fan of almond or rice milk considering the lack of nutrional value, so I'm stuck. Would condensed milk work? I have only cooked with it in the past, so I would need to learn how to consume it otherwise. And-I would have a tough time rotating it since we don't use it.

Any ideas?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
We buy the 4.4 lb box of Carnation nonfat dry milk at Sam's Club for about $13.00 a box. Box makes 22 guarts, (5 1/2 gal.)

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Dairy,

products will be the first thing out to barter for when the waiting time is up. Those with cattle will care for their lively hood, no mater what the stakes. I have friends with cattle up north, he treats them like his kids, until its auction time. :)

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Condensed milk will keep longer, although it tends to caramalise after a couple of years depending on storage conditions. It is still usable.

Condensed milk here anyway, not sure of your product, is very high in sugar.
We have stocked tubes of this as it is resealable with screw on cap if not all consumed at one time.
Keeps the ants and other critters out too.

The canned evaporated milk we had stored lasted 12 months at the most.
Not as long as it used to be years ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have heard that some people dilute it with water 3 or 4 cups to 1 can and use that as their normal milk for their families. Personally we use powdered milk for convenience--no storage of all the milk that my family would consume (live in the country and not 'next' to a store) and the weight of carrying milk from store to home.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have a yard and are legally allowed to in your area, how about getting a goat? They make good pets, will love to destroy your rose bushes, and will double check your fences everyday looking for ways to get under, over, or through them.:D:

Seriously, I have about 40 of them, but don't milk them most of the time. I can't work two jobs and do twice daily milkings. You can just let them raise their own babies, and if TSHTF, you can wean the babies and milk the momma. (*As long as the babies are at least 6-8 weeks old, before that you can usually borrow a little .)

Some breeds, such as *****ian dwarf and pygmy are quite small. You might even be able to pass them off as pets in areas where you can't keep livestock. But be warned, they love to eat and eat and eat. (But they won't eat tin cans, no matter what people claim. If you open and eat a tin can they will lick the inside though.)

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Powdered WHOLE milk is available...
http://www.organicfarmmarketing.com/powderspecs_wholemilk.htm
That gives the nutritional specs of that companies powdered whole milk
http://www.humboldtcreamery.com/milkpowder.html
More info here about powdered milk and condensed milk:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilk.htm
Another place:
http://www.elongcom.com/list.asp?id=250&gclid=CMuU09unvpcCFRhhnAod1TEwSQ

If you have an Hispanic Grocer nearby, they usually carry this:
Nestle Nido Instant Dry Whole Milk, 12.6oz - Pack of 2 Cans: Amazon.com: Grocery
I have tried it and it is good!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a yard and are legally allowed to in your area, how about getting a goat? They make good pets, will love to destroy your rose bushes, and will double check your fences everyday looking for ways to get under, over, or through them.:D:
I already have a few clandestine chickens in the backyard - lucky for me the neighbors are old timers and love to hear the rooster. I really want a goat but don't want to push my luck! :D: The chickens aren't completely legal, though I thought they were when I purchased them. I'm living under the "beg forgiveness instead of ask permission" mantra right now and until we move I don't want to risk it. But good to know they are easy to maintain ... I do don't rose bushes so no worries there!

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I'm drinking evaporated milk in my coffee that is well over a year out of date. I'm a little behind on some of my food rotation. Tastes fine. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
I'm drinking evaporated milk in my coffee that is well over a year out of date. I'm a little behind on some of my food rotation. Tastes fine. :thumb:
Please let us know in a few hours if your feeling okay...:thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a great recipe for homemade condensed milk. (I'm not sure how you would best prepare it for long-term storage though.)

To make the equivalent of a tin of condensed milk.

1 cup powdered milk - this can be full cream or skim milk
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter

Put all your ingredients into a food processor or blender. Mix slowly at first until everything is combined, then use high speed until everything is smooth.

·
I have control issues
6,130 Posts
I buy the quart size boxes of UHT milk. At Wal-mart, the brand they carry is Parmalat. Borden also makes it. I have seen it in whole, 2%, and fat free varieties. Because of the way it is processed, it is shelf stable for several months, so needs no refrigeration until it is opened. I keep several months supply on hand in my storage room, so now I NEVER run out of milk, even when the grandkids come to visit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm so new here, but maybe you can buy a combination of some dry milk (which tastes terrible to me) some evaporated (expensive and does not age well past a year) and some non-dairy creamer to use as a flavor enhancer. The non-dairy creamer is not a "natural" food but has a long shelflife and may make the dry milk palatable.
If you can find it, you may want to try whole, NON-instant dry milk -- full fat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i found canned goats milk at wm the other day, i plan to go get some.

i understand where youre coming from re milk, we;re the same way ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I already have a few clandestine chickens in the backyard - lucky for me the neighbors are old timers and love to hear the rooster. I really want a goat but don't want to push my luck! :D: The chickens aren't completely legal, though I thought they were when I purchased them. I'm living under the "beg forgiveness instead of ask permission" mantra right now and until we move I don't want to risk it. But good to know they are easy to maintain ... I do don't rose bushes so no worries there!
Prettypaisley, I think we ARE twins separated at birth ;) We drink raw milk in our household as well AND we live in the city with 19 chickens with the same "beg for forgiveness" attitude. Ha ha ha! Now, thankfully, we live at the end of a dead end road with 2 and 1/2 acres so we might be able to get away with it for a while.

Anyway, are you a Weston A Price Foundation member by any chance?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I was just thinking about powdered milk today b/c milk is one item that we do not have in our storage food supply. We get our raw milk from a farmer who comes to town twice a month so if TSHTF tomorrow, we wouldn't be drinking milk for a while.

Anyway, thanks so much, Lamb, for the info on the whole powdered milk. I will check that out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when we camp we use evaporated milk, i use in coffee too. I prefer evaporated milk, watered down in cereal to regular milk. It stores well too.

Condensed milk is super sweet, works well for coffee though!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts