1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Condemned Utah Killer Will Face Firing Squad
AP via YellowBrix

April 23, 2010

SALT LAKE CITY – Utah is set to execute a convicted killer by firing squad after a judge agreed Friday to the inmate’s request for the method, renewing a debate over what critics see as an antiquated, Old West-style of justice.

Ronnie Lee Gardner, 49, was given the choice of being killed by lethal injection or shot by a five-man team of executioners firing from a set of matched rifles, a rarely used relic that harkens back to Utah’s territorial history.

“I would like the firing squad, please,” Gardner told State court Judge Robin Reese Friday morning, after Reese told him his avenues for appeal appear to be exhausted.

Gardner, 49, was sentenced to death for killing an attorney 25 years ago during a failed escape attempt and shootout.

Of the 35 states with the death penalty on the books, Utah is the only one to use the firing squad as a method of execution since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment in 1976.

Two men have died in a hail of bullets since that decision: Gary Gilmore, on Jan. 17, 1977 — after famously uttering the last words, “Let’s do it” — and John Albert Taylor on Jan. 26, 1996.

Oklahoma is the only other state that considers a firing squad an acceptable option, but by law would only use it if lethal injection was deemed unconstitutional. The state has never used the method.

cont:
http://policelink.monster.com/news/...tm_source=nlet&utm_content=pl_c1_20100427_all

·
Vigilant
3,749 Posts
According to the Mormon religion if you are convicted of a capital crime the only way to redeem yourself is to actually "spill your blood." This is according to a friend of mine who is a Mormon and his explanation.

Caseyboy
Just prick your finger? Sounds too easy. It's a miracle they don't have more crime. And whats worse; their women get a clean slate every 28 days!:eek:

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
I would eliminate the electric chair and lethal injection as the methods of execution in this country.

I think the firing squad would be a much less expensive alternative and due to the rapidity of effect, it would be much more difficult to challenge as a "cruel or unusual" form of effecting the death sentence...

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Good for him......a convicted killer, who didn't give his victim the right to decide how they'd die, should have a choice how he dies..............are you kidding me? HE should die how he killed his victim.........cut their throat and let them bleed out, ok........suffocated them and raped them, ok........buried them alive, ok,.....burned them alive, ok..........stabbed them, ok.........shot them, ok, but not a firing squad.......one man walks up and shoots them........let them suffer to death,. like their victim......

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think they should all go back to hanging in the court yard(televised)

Reactions: Caseyboy

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
According to the Mormon religion if you are convicted of a capital crime the only way to redeem yourself is to actually "spill your blood." This is according to a friend of mine who is a Mormon and his explanation.

Caseyboy

It's called "blood atonement"

ST

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.