Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
Yeah, we've seen 'em before. I think it was consensus that they were going to be too heavy to have in our BOBs.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we've seen 'em before. I think it was consensus that they were going to be too heavy to have in our BOBs.
That was the first thing that hit me when I saw the forklift moving it and the vehicle required to set it up. I was mainly thinking it may give one or two of us ideas to make something similar. Maybe setting up a heavy canvas-tent and spraying it with multiple coats of a concrete mixture till it's strong enough for use?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,396 Posts
I want one!
I want one!
I want one!
Where do I get one?
Out in the desert southwest, many of our homes are finished with stucco. Stucco is a sticky layer of concrete sprayed onto chicken wire that has a backing paper. We typically apply 3-4 layers. The last layer is often colored.

If you really want a concrete tent, you could built a framework out of 2x4s, cover it with stucco wire, and spray it. Match the color coat to the surrounding soil.

This would take longer than one day. Perhaps 4-5 days should get the job done.

·
Registered
556 Posts
cool construction!

however on the search issue- nothing I seem to search for ever brings back useful threads, it's a hit or miss I suppose.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.survivalistboards.com/search.php?searchid=5421619

The search feature really works "concrete canvas"
That's what I keep trying to tell everyone. But apparently you and I are the only ones who know how to use it! :D: :D: :D:
You know, I don't care. I saw it, copied and pasted it and here it is. If it bugs you guys so bad then maybe you should do a search before you open a new thread to see if you've read it before, then skip it if you have.

Just trying to offer-up something I saw and thought might be useful to someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, have patience. It may be expensive, but cement products usually have certain shelf-life. Meaning that once taxpayer has paid for them and in case they do not get used during that period they will be available as mil. surplus or something like that. Usually cement absorbs moisture and will spoil in some time. And unless this product does not use some magic tecnology of covering cement particles with some protective layer of molecules that protects it from air humidity but dissolves during hydrating process then its quite sure there will be need to get rid of them.
But anyway, cool technologu. And the interior was especially nice :)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
However on the search issue- nothing I seem to search for ever brings back useful threads, it's a hit or miss I suppose.
It's really about how you do it. I can never get results from the search button without going to advanced search. But once there, it usually only takes a minute or two to bring up what I'm after. Just think about your search terms, and whether you want posts or threads. Also, if the search terms would be in the title or the body of the post. Searching the bodies of posts brings up more hits, but it also brings up a lot more misses. There's a bit of a learning curve to it, and I guess a lot of people give up on it because of that.

You can easily use goggle to search the site too. Which is better yet. Just go to google and put "site: www.survivalistboards.com" in, along with your search query and it'll search this site for your query.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Going rate is starting $50k without shipping for the smallest. Not in my budget or I would SOOOOO have 1 just for my cold cellar :D:

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
this looks very Russian! for 1/2 the money you could build a structure out of ARRX blocks and all you need is concrete. no electric, no water, no fan-( I cant imagine how big a fan you would need to inflate that thing) concrete isnt waterproof either if you bury it it's going to be a damp celler too.
Top it with 16" BCI joist on 16" centers and you could park a truck on top of ARRX walls.

just a thought!

cool video thou. rover

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
this looks very Russian! for 1/2 the money you could build a structure out of ARRX blocks and all you need is concrete. no electric, no water, no fan-( I cant imagine how big a fan you would need to inflate that thing) concrete isnt waterproof either if you bury it it's going to be a damp celler too.
Top it with 16" BCI joist on 16" centers and you could park a truck on top of ARRX walls.

just a thought!

cool video thou. rover
Party pooper :p

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going rate is starting $50k without shipping for the smallest. Not in my budget or I would SOOOOO have 1 just for my cold cellar :D:
Wow. That's alot of dough. Oh well. Like I said; I thought maybe it could give someone an idea or two as to how to do this on our own. And for alot less money.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Regarding search and re-posts of issues already posted.

While I suppose it can be annoying reading the same posts over and over again, it is hardly a big deal to just ignore the post once you realize you've seen the topic before.

When people re post stuff like this it is sometimes useful. Some people are newer to the board and may not have seen the original. So when it is re-posted they get a chance to also learn something new.

Of course the down side is if people never search before starting a new thread, the board is swamped by repeats. But as long as the same issue doesn't come up all the time I think a little bit of slack is warranted. I would save the harsh criticism for repeat and chronic offenders.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
A pretty cool technology. I'm sure the Average-Joe wouldn't be able to get any of these, but the idea is pretty cool.

http://www.wimp.com/concretetents/
Nice concept.

Being from WV, I am well versed in creating red-neck versions of such things.

What if you make a circle of wooden pallets standing on their ends, wired together, then filled the structure with inflated garbage bags. More pallets or criss-crossed 2x6s for center support. Also, make an opening for a door.

Cover this beautiful creation with a large tarp, then some 14 gauge wire mesh.

Now pour concrete over the top and let set. This might need to be done in layers.

Now go in and remove the trash bags and other support material.

Would this work?

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice concept.

Being from WV, I am well versed in creating red-neck versions of such things.

What if you make a circle of wooden pallets standing on their ends, wired together, then filled the structure with inflated garbage bags. More pallets or criss-crossed 2x6s for center support. Also, make an opening for a door.

Cover this beautiful creation with a large tarp, then some 14 gauge wire mesh.

Now pour concrete over the top and let set. This might need to be done in layers.

Now go in and remove the trash bags and other support material.

Would this work?

Sounds like it would to me. That was my point in posting this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts