Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
great idea

Great idea, i have been wanting to price a roll of this or regular barbed wire to close off our culdesac in the event of a crisis. anybody got prices? - Eric

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Great idea, i have been wanting to price a roll of this or regular barbed wire to close off our culdesac in the event of a crisis. anybody got prices? - Eric
About $50 for a 1,320' roll of 15.5 gauge, 4-point barbed wire.
Available just about at any farm or fence supply. Buy it locally though,
or the shipping costs will eat you up.

Got one roll stashed away. No specific intended purpose. Just wanted
to have some on hand.

Razor wire is a little less easier to come by. Found a source that is
$140 for 5 "rolls". Don't know exactly how long the ribbon is in each
roll, but I guess what's more to the point is the useful length. Each
roll can be stretched out (like a coil spring) up to 50'. But stretching
a roll to only 25' they say makes for a tighter, more secure installation.
The rolls are about 18" in diameter.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Try caltrops..Nasty little device,they always have one prong up,easy to hide and easy to make..

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
I was going to buy an electric fence control box (solar battery ran), like one for cattle.
I was then going to put up wire around my house about 1 foot apart from each other and have about 6 or 7 rows.
If they cut the wire you can have it alarmed and electrofied.
I figure concertina can be cut easily also if the person has cutters, it just slows them down from rushing your position.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
yup

Personally I think you'd be better off with making a barricade. I used it in the army. It takes a lot to make it a good obsticle.
i plan on making small holes in the street and putting 1 1/2 - 2 ft tall "sharpened" pipes out at a 45 degree angle outward to stop on-coming vehicles. also, behind that, placing a couple of cars end to end accross the street as a barricade. ---------- Eric

·
Registered
111 Posts
This makes little since to me in an urban environment. All one has to do is run a rope through several loops and the other end to a bumper on a vehicle and then just drive off dragging it all behind. Unless someone is going to stand watch over it 24/7.
Or just throw a sheet of plywood or something similar on top of it and just walk across.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
Pallets full. Got them cheap when me and some other gun show dealers bid on a large lot of military surplus. Nobody wanted to deal with the stuff, so I took it home. I left most of it at my last house when I had to move though. Not as much need for it here.

You can find it regularly on the surplus market and it's usually dirt cheap. The dealers get stuck with it when they buy surplus lots and they hate dealing with it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
i plan on making small holes in the street and putting 1 1/2 - 2 ft tall "sharpened" pipes out at a 45 degree angle outward to stop on-coming vehicles. also, behind that, placing a couple of cars end to end accross the street as a barricade. ---------- Eric
In that case it sounds like a good add on to what you have planned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep in mind when you come across cosertina wire set up it is normaly ment to slow an attacking force. Which means that there will be guns covering it the same can be said for mines. I laymens terms it slows them down enough so you can get a good shot at them. So throwing plywood over it means your a big target walking up with a sheet of plywood, same for trying to pull it out of the way with a car.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Barbed wire.... Ha

Use three things

Regular fence, chain link, stone, wood etc
plant unfriendly plants in front of fence
Dig and raise dirt in an odd pattern going 1 foot out (keep your side free of obstructions.)
Use pieces of cut post, dig random small holes( post hole digger size)
it only has to be a couple of inches deep to break something
The fence slows them down.
The bushes hurt them
The holes and raised dirt mess them up.
If you don't have something even to land on your going to mess yourself up more than some cutsand scrapes.

However razor wire does work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kinda hard to do if you are getting shot at!

Normally I would have a guard on the wire fence.

Just saying...
True enough, but many against one guard...well, you get the idea.

When I was at Camp Lejeune we had some sheets of a corrugated fiberglass material, I think it was for laying on mud or soft soil to give vehicles traction. I do know it made crossing razor wire a snap on field exercises.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts