Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me your review on one? I've been thinking that this one might be my all around get out of dodge pack, but maybe I'm reading too many PAW novels.
Thanks for any help,
Joe

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
The way I look at those packs is:

If you're gonna be in any kind of situation where you're going to require the use of a rifle, you're probably going to want the rifle at the ready, and not in your backpack.

I don't have any experience with those types of packs, though. That line of reasoning has prevented me from acquiring one.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I think that JoeKan is referring to the USGI MOLLE II "Rifleman" ruck:

I've never used it. Standard Infantry pack. Externally mounted sleeping bag carrier. I'm sure it's adequate for your purpose if you can find a good price on one.

Reactions: JoeKan

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I have one and I wouldn't go back to an ALICE. I love it.

Al

Reactions: JoeKan

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Oh, my bad, bro!

Yeah, I've humped the MOLLE and the Alice pack, and the MOLLE is superior. It'd make a fine get out of dodge bag. It's heavy, though! :thumb:

The early ones had frame cracking issues, but I hear they've fixed that. So buy a recent generation frame.

I thought you were talking about these packs:

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
These packs are great. They are far more comfortable that the ilbe in my opinion. And alice are not even comparable. The newer large rifleman with The internal sleep system carrier is what I have used the most. I can't stress enough about the comfort level. And Fort Bragg Surplus has Multicam rifleman rucks for $100 right now.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
I gotta be careful because I can go on and on about this pack. But to add a bit more here, if you do buy one, make sure it has the gen 4 frame. One-three were trash. And you can buy them with or without the two sustainment pouches on the sides. I highly recommend finding a supplier with the pouches in the deal. They hold far more than you'd think.

The images astronomy put up, although both rifleman rucks, are of two different models. The first, in woodland camo, is the original rifleman. it has the main pack, and an external sleep system carrier that goes beneath it. The second image, in multicam, is the newest model with internal sleep system on bottom. Meaning it's all one unit, with access to the bottom through a zippered compartment that is big enough for a full mss sleep system.
And it has a zippered partition inside to separate the upper part of the ruck from the lower sleep system carrier section.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a good price on one. What kind of sleeping bag would you all recommend? It has to fit in the bag.
Thanks,
Joe

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
I always recommend the mss sleep system. The rifleman was designed to carry that size sleep system. What I like about it is that it has the bivy and two different bags that can he used by themselves, or all together as one extreme cold weather bag. I rarely have to use the entire system. So it doesn't pack as big as if I used it all together.
They have a new five part mss sleep system that has a second compression sack. That way you can compress it even smaller than the original. You can get both bags and the bivy down to about one square foot.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
I found a good price on one. What kind of sleeping bag would you all recommend? It has to fit in the bag.
Thanks,
Joe
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find yours? I have an acu that I've been using but planned on getting the multicam from fort Bragg surplus. Very good deal for a multicam ruck! I noticed it was on sale for $79 today.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
ive broken the frames on three packs on three separate occasions and walked many miles with them
they are garbage
and the only thing in the MSS thats worth a damn is the bivy bag

get a better bag for the seasons you plan on using it and put em in the bivy

i dont recommend the molle at all im not a alice fan either its ok for what it is but if your going surplus packs i can think of a good many varieties i can recommend over the molle rucks

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
ive broken the frames on three packs on three separate occasions and walked many miles with them
they are garbage
and the only thing in the MSS thats worth a damn is the bivy bag

get a better bag for the seasons you plan on using it and put em in the bivy

i dont recommend the molle at all im not a alice fan either its ok for what it is but if your going surplus packs i can think of a good many varieties i can recommend over the molle rucks

Do you know which molle frame you had? If it wasn't a gen4 then yes, it was garbage. There is a difference between them.
To each his own,.. I've humped the molle gen4 quite alot and had zero issues with it packed well beyond weight limits.

What do you recommend that is surplus over the molle?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Do you know which molle frame you had? If it wasn't a gen4 then yes, it was garbage. There is a difference between them.
To each his own,.. I've humped the molle gen4 quite alot and had zero issues with it packed well beyond weight limits.
i got out in 2010

that said even not broken I did not like how the pack carried the load it had a flex to it that i found much more tiring than any other pack ive ever carried in my life it swayed horribly and I'm very efficient at packing it close to my body

I like this pack alot its not all tacticool by alot of standards but its a tank and much better than my girlfriend alice and can be used as 2 packs

with pack and frame
without frame

just the frame

for a surplus pack i like this setup because i can take my ruck off the frame and still use it as a ruck becuse it has shoulder and hip straps

and I or someone else can use the frame (has built in shelf) to go gather a bunch of firewood and just walk it back to camp or haul a deer or whatever its real nice kit and the steel frame is going no where

can get em periodically for around $50 bucks

another good setup thats like a modern make of the patern 70 webbing and is very modular based on needs is the 6Sh112

I also keeping it in the realm of surplus
the ILBE used by the marines is pretty decent more like a modern internal frame pack

the british ruck is pretty good too

Reactions: TimHaar

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
Those look pretty badass actually. I have been trying out an ilbe for awhile and do not consider it very comfortable. I had a pretty nasty back injury when I was in the navy and comfort is a must nowadays. The one major thing I do NOT like about the molle is how wide it is. I go through thick bush and I'm always tending to it. The ilbe will follow me through just about anything without many snags at all. I pack my sleep pad vertical.( as my avatar shows), and that helps.

The new "usmc pack" looks like it might be the best of both world's. Hopefully they have something worth sticking with this time! Can't wait for that to hit eBay for a hundred bucks...

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find yours? I have an acu that I've been using but planned on getting the multicam from fort Bragg surplus. Very good deal for a multicam ruck! I noticed it was on sale for $79 today.
Found it online for $75. It's the woodland pattern, the kind I've been looking for. The site is quicktoplease.com

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help. Just purchased my Rifleman pack along with a MSS ECWS bag to go along with it.

·
Ol' Ephriam's bait
60 Posts
I've had my MOLLE II Rifleman for a few months now and really love the pack. I've experimented with different pouches and attachments and finally have it set up the way I want it. I built my own version of the gun bearer from Kifaru and it works great with the MOLLE. I have pics in my photo gallery, check it out let me know what you think or if you have questions. I am not a fan of multicam for where I live but the price was really good for the pack and, well, the other options were UCP or the two piece woodland one. I really don't like the UCP at all and the two piece woodland was on a first or second generation frame (the chronic breaking ones). My son has the two piece on a 4rth generation frame and its outstanding. I think you will be happy for your purchase.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts