Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the correct forum.

I found a TV satellite dish antenna and experimented with it by gluing 1/4" square glass mirrors over the entire surface. I used marine epoxy adhesive. Not every square sat nice and flat so I had to polish the surfaces otherwise the reflected light looked more like a disco ball's pattern. When I was finished I had a very concentrated point of reflected light at 15" from the dish's center. That light heats a litre of fresh water enough to generate no-pressure steam in a lab flask with rubber stopper. The vapour condenses in a short distillery tube inserted into the stopper on one end and drips into a collection jar on the other end. The next step is to mix up a strong saline solution and generate clean water from that. It's raining here for the next few days.

Hope this info is useful.
Oh, I bought the mirrors on eBay in bags of 500 for $8 +shipping. It required about 2,000 tiles to cover the dish surface.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Mirror tape is the easiest. Costs about $20 to cover a TV satellite dish.

Lots of info and videos can be found on satellite dish solar cookers.

Though I'm not sure what this has to do with camping and hiking.

No way you want to lug a satellite dish cooker around on the trail.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Very cool.
But I'm surprised that it worked. It's precision work to get all of those mirrors to be placed appropriately so that they focus in a specific spot. And it works best with surface coated mirrors rather than having the (typical) mirroring on the back - to avoid the refraction as the light passes twice through the glass.
There have been a few experimental desert power plants that place hundreds (thousands?) of computer controlled mirrors in a multi-acre circle with an elevated vessel of water in the middle of them all. The mirrors track the sun all day and bounce their reflected light on to the vessel generating enormous amounts of heat to generate high pressure steam. I don't know if it's cost effective, but it looks very cool. (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Solar_power_plants_in_the_Mojave_Desert)
But still, nice work.
B

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
But I'm surprised that it worked.
Here's a short vid on one in action. Sorry about the sugary folk music.

Here is a much longer vid on how to make one properly. Note too why aluminum foil won't work due to diffused reflectivity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.