Survivalist Forum banner

Concealed Carry more than just a one gun solution.

7K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  SleekWeapon 
#1 ·
Ok this thread is going to try and incorporate a new thought process, a little of my knowledge that I would like to share with those of you who are stuck on the whole one gun, one knife, one shovel, or brand of cornflakes. People we get the point everyone loves something different. Blah, blah, blah.....

Now to the point. I play some xbox live on those kinda days where there's really nothing to do, maybe just crappy weather out. So as im playing a Call of Duty title, im noticing more and more as I tweak my loadouts, or kits that there is no one perfect kit that makes you god at playing the game. The environment is always the same but.the people you battle are different. So no matter how good you think you are someone comes along and destroys you. Now when this happens I start getting a little frustrated. I used to play the game only using on setup. Now I have learn the importance of taking advantage of several different combination of different kits so when one isn't working during a particular game I switch it up. This usually improves my gameplay. Each kit requires me the interact differently in the game.

Now to the real point, much like that game, real life requires you to adapt and change to the task at hand. I have more than one CCW in more than one caliber, with various ways to pack. I also own more than one survival knife, in more than one kind of steel. So depending on the day and what I thought I needed to bring my KIT or LOADOUT changes.

See less See more
#3 ·
Diversity is ok, and what you are thinking about is a good idea, but you miss two key things.

1. No matter what people say a 9mm-45acp all have relatively the same effect in a human body, both penetrate the same depth into tissue, and both have relatively the same wound cavity (elasticity of human tissue).

2. Even rifle wise lets say you have a 300 win and are going to emulate this book.

Chances are you will keep distance, find lots of hidey holes and try to keep visibility. This may not be possible, and frankly it probably wont work here in the eastern wooded regions easily. However! A sniper doesn't need a sniper rifle or range, or a 2000+ scope to be a sniper. You can do the role with a AK, AR or maybe even a shotgun with a slug if you are a good enough shot and maybe toss a red dot/scope on it.

Tactics need to change, weapons baskets make distance change, but the weapon and gear doesn't have to be that different or varied for you to work most any problem. These video games will make you think a 50 will go through a car, a few walls, and three enemy in laser like fashion, but the reality each thing it hits can deflect the shot.

#4 ·
More of what I was referring to was the Concealed Carry Weapons, however that was a slick rifle but again I don't want to go to far into the primary weapon.

I am referring to last ditch personal defense or emergency survival in the urban environment, basically EDC.

No what I mean by no one one gun/one knife solution is this. It is not feasible for most people to pack a fullsize 1911 and KaBar for EDC. Therfore the kit or loadout is born.

The importance of this is that no matter where, when, who, how, or why you have the essential last ditch defense.

Now I have numerous combinations of EDC loadouts that vary range from hometown/smalltown carry, large city carry, travel carry which I consider 100 miles or more from home, hunting/hiking, you get the point. This can be obtained with a small assortment of reliable, low cost tools.

I went with three firearms and about 4 different fixed blades and only 2 folders. I will list the items that could all be purchased for less than $2000. Some of you may say that's two much cash or that its not enough, but get this point now, I know my geographical location, my skill level, my pros, cons, basically considered all aspects of what I needed to stay protected everyday I walk out my front door.

Here they are

Springfield XD 40 Tactical full 5' barrel I run 155 grain speed got dots in a blackhawk serpa paddle holster.

Ruger LCP .380 auto I run 95 grain federal premium. Small serpa style paddle holster and holds spare magazine.

Taurus Judge Magnum first three chambered with .45 Long Colt last two with .410 shot shell.

Now the fixed blades...

Kabar USMC 7" with kydex and leather sheaths, amazon for around 60 combined.

KaBar Fin, also with kydex sheath.

Buch 119 special with custom leather sheath.

The spendy and rare one now.............Leatherman Steens in S30V steel.

And finally the folders........

CRKT Carson's M21 excellent knife I can't say enough about it.

Cold Steel Spartan. Nuff Said...

With these tools you can have the right combination for EDC, feel free to inquire as to why I have chosen any of these products and I will do my best to explain why it caught my eye, or please post you kit ideas.

#12 ·
well im glad the thread is again out of its scope. one gun/one knife is good as long as neither ever break. and ccw is more than anti people. ever heard of bears, 9mm not so good for an angry bear. point is get past your one tool perspective and invest in additional options.

i dont carry my LCP bow hunting as it does not have practical application, however it does have practical application for short trips to the store. the same is true with knives. do you people even read the entire thread?

no matter how much I love my KaBar USMC, it is not practical for EDC day in day out, however there are times to bring it.

exmmple tuarus judge for hunting sidearm or nightstand, lcp for local small town carry, and xd40 for big city or more than100 miles from home. The application intended has a drastic effect of the use of that gun.

A sig .357 is not a good nightstand gun, but makes an excellent hunting sidearm, where you would lee likely have to worry about over penetration and wounding others.

#14 ·
A sig .357 is not a good nightstand gun, but makes an excellent hunting sidearm, where you would lee likely have to worry about over penetration and wounding others.
I have to disagree. You compare the speed of a 9mm NATO with a necked down .40 casing and it's the product is the well-rounded .357 SIG cartridge. Ammo availability however, it not as abundant as the former mentioned calibers. But to stay on topic, the main reason I purchased a .357 Sig pistol in the first place was to avoid having to carry multiple weapons for multiple applications as the OP highlighted. If you can get 1325 FPS with considerable ME in a target round, just imagine the options available for PD ammo. Just my $0.2.

#25 ·
Not that I relesh being the contrarian, but I feel this needs to be said.

Real life ≠ Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I'd rather see people have one handgun (myself included) and shoot it as much as they can, getting familiar with the weapon, carrying it so its weight & body location become second nature, and fine tuning accurate loads.

Instead of spending all that money on the most uber, milspec, tacticool "kits," invest that money in quality training and coursework, so that if - God forbid - you ever have to use your weapon when your life is on the line - you can use it effectively rather than bleeding out on the ground with two thousand dollars' worth of different "load outs" sitting in your closet at home.

Beware the man with only one gun. He likely knows how to shoot it.

#28 ·
Not that I relesh being the contrarian, but I feel this needs to be said.

Real life ≠ Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I'd rather see people have one handgun (myself included) and shoot it as much as they can, getting familiar with the weapon, carrying it so its weight & body location become second nature, and fine tuning accurate loads.

Instead of spending all that money on the most uber, milspec, tacticool "kits," invest that money in quality training and coursework, so that if - God forbid - you ever have to use your weapon when your life is on the line - you can use it effectively rather than bleeding out on the ground with two thousand dollars' worth of different "load outs" sitting in your closet at home.

Beware the man with only one gun. He likely knows how to shoot it.
The man with only one gun is also screwed when it breaks...........

Most people have the capability to be profecient with more than one weapon. Seeing how the concept of draw, aim, fire is pretty standard across the board with all firearms. Ballistics is the major differences. Well sticking with only a few calibers, some ballistics study, and trigger time my two or more gun toting ass is just as profecient with all of my weapons. Do you think cops carry back-up guns cause one gun is the solution? Some of you people are blind. Each gun has its uses and advantages. If it is hot out and im at the lake, chances are I don't want my full frame 40 draggin me down where as for a little less firepower I can bring an LCP. The benifits of the LCP is that when some people including myself think it just too much work to bring more gun, you have something that you will bring. As someone said not everyone will pack a large gun. I however only bring small ones or subcompacts when people are the only possible threat. Out in the wild small guns are worthless. They have no place in the jungle so to speak.

#34 ·
My roommate criticizes me for having different EDC knives. His argument is that I should have just one knife that does it all. Although I am no knife-collecting maniac by any means, I do employ different tools for every job. As for every day fixed blade, the Gerber Silver Trident with double edge and sharp point is more than enough for a personal defense situation should my threat be too close for my pistol. I am not going to baton wood or build a shelter on my daily commute to and from work, so the Silver Trident is fine for what it was built for, a personal defense/combat blade. If I am going out to the woods or camping, then I bring my ESEE or Prodigy. If I am going somewhere in which my fixed blade would be too bulky, I strap my belt sheath or pocket clip folder.

In support of the OP's argument, I understand that there is not one "super tool" that covers all applications and scenarios, whether you are speaking industrial or self defense. Most folks on here that support the "one gun" argument are often people that have other reasons for not operating different systems, yet the "be proficient at one system" is their easy way out excuse. I believe that if there is a way to diversify your self-defense skill by becoming better at operating different systems, you should totally go for it. In the end, it may be your life one day and you will thank yourself for going that extra mile to learn something different.

#35 ·
My roommate criticizes me for having different EDC knives. His argument is that I should have just one knife that does it all. Although I am no knife-collecting maniac by any means, I do employ different tools for every job. As for every day fixed blade, the Gerber Silver Trident with double edge and sharp point is more than enough for a personal defense situation should my threat be too close for my pistol. I am not going to baton wood or build a shelter on my daily commute to and from work, so the Silver Trident is fine for what it was built for, a personal defense/combat blade. If I am going out to the woods or camping, then I bring my ESEE or Prodigy. If I am going somewhere in which my fixed blade would be too bulky, I strap my belt sheath or pocket clip folder.

In support of the OP's argument, I understand that there is not one "super tool" that covers all applications and scenarios, whether you are speaking industrial or self defense. Most folks on here that support the "one gun" argument are often people that huave other reasons for not operating different systems, yet the "be proficient at one system" is their easy way out excuse. I believe that if there is a way to diversify your self-defense skill by becoming better at operating different systems, you should totally go for it. In the end, it may be your life one day and you will thank yourself for going that extra mile to learn something different.
Thank you.

At least someone out there gets it.

I honestly used to think in the mindset of one, and then my eyes were opened to reality.

I was hunting and lost a knife, I did not realize that I had until after killing an elk. Good thing I had stuffed my leatherman steens in my pack or I would have done much much more hiking.

When I realized the importance of backups with blades alone, I transferred that process into the concept that 1 ='s none and 2 ='s 1. Thus the need for different pistols was born.

To tell the truth I used to be a bigger is better guy too, and even though I can pack and conceal a full frame semi-auto it is for the most part not necessary, however there are times deemed worthy. More than one also means you can arm friends and family as well.

So for all you "one gun one knife people" get real, stop being so thick headed and get with the program. Profiency with more than one firearm is necessary, as you will probably need to at some point in SHTF scavange other weapons.

Even an old dog can learn new tricks, plus who has ever said it hurts to be extra prepared?

#38 ·
You are leaving out familiarity. With one handgun, all the time, it should be a part of you. Your hand knows where the safety is without the brain's help, the brain should be doing other things. Where is the mag release? The grip will be a little different. The weight is not the same.
I can eat with a fork or chopsticks. After about 30 seconds of using the chopsticks I am used to them enough that I can eat without thinking about them. Pulling your CCW does not give you 30 seconds practice.

#39 ·
Have you been familiar with more than one man or woman during your life, I have.

They have different sizes, weights, safeties, trigger pulls, and such. Yet you learn how to handle more than one in your life. So your in effect saying that people are incapable of learning and adapting. Women, guns, knives, video games and such are things people can and have been able to handle.more than one of.

Perhaps if I thought like you I would have had only one girlfriend in my life, or only owned one car.

Your linear thinking process IS the only thing holding you back from being profecient with more than one CCW.

I handle and shoot my guns every week, familiarity is not an issue. With pratice your mind automatically associates the difference.

By touch alone my mind and others who have transended the linear thinking of ONE GUN, are more than capable of firing several firarms accurately. But then I am a guy who has hunted with slingshots, bows, handgun, and rifles. I have killed with all. Next is spear hunting wild hog. I am sure that I am not the only human that has learned several different weapons either. So again ONE GUN is NOT a solution and still no one has offered evidence to suggest otherwise.

My proof is my profeniency with several guns in several calibers, my second elk was taken from 350 yards with a Marlin lever action 45-70 govt. Some will argue 200 yards is max range, here is a news flash, the 45-70 is a 1000 yard sniper in somehands. Not mine, but still a 350 yard kill is a spectacular shot for that caliber, then there was a deer I took at 513 yards with my 25-06, and the elk with my bow from 48 yards, and the elk with my shotgun at 66 yards, and deer with scopes Ruger redhawk from 33 yards,......need I go on? There are many guns of different use for a reason, try not to argue so blindly that their can be only one, this isn't Highlander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.