Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions, feedback, as well as models we might not have thought of yet.

Personally, the wife and I have lots of rifle time, quite a bit of handgun time... and now have the conceal carry option legally open to us in WI.

I'm leaning twards a S&W 642 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

it's about 350-450 bucks.

The Ruger http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y is also in the running.

It's going to be up to the wife what she ends up with. Semi, DA, revolver... whatever.

I'm personally leaning towards an enclosed hammer double action only revolver. In part because of the legality's and the fact it will fire from under clothing, and regardless of the situation. When she is opening shop at 5am on a january wisconsin morning, with the gun in her coat pocket, i'd want it to fire. regardless.

pull trigger = bang.

I'd love any and all opinions, experiences with the firearms, and ideas.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The idea that your wife will carry it allow her to choose what she feels good with can
shoot with confort.....
There are many husbands who pick guns for wives and tell them what to use.....
The pistol or auto in anything from 22-say a 45 have seem woman shoots well.....
Several good articles written on the subject of CCW best to take her to a place that
has pistols and see what fits then find someone who has it so she can shoot it....
her life is in the balance.......
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ruger firearms. I bought the LCR for my daughter.

I would suggest that you buy the one chambered for .357 and load it with .38s. The .357 models are built with stronger materials and if you ever decide to sell it you'll get more for it.

IMO the LCR is excellent for every day carry, it's very light and very simple to operate. The only downside is that because it's so light, the recoil is pretty harsh. Not a big deal if you're pumped full of adrenalin, but not as enjoyable to shoot at the range either.

Another option is the Ruger SP101. It has more weight to it and is much more enjoyable to shoot. It's built like a tank!

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

Good Luck

Attachments

·
happiness is a warm gun
790 Posts
Based on the OP I would suggest a revolver. The S & W 642 is a great gun. I agree that the LCR or Ruger SP101 (major difference there is the weight, as another poster said the Ruger is stainless and heavy) would also serve her well. Revolvers are ultra-reliable, easy to conceal and the 357 or 38 + P JHP is a nasty cartridge.

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Take her to a range where she can handle and hopefully shot some that feel good to her. If she is not happy, she will not carry. I had a hard time finding what my wife like as she could not rack the slide on most of them.
What she picked was not my first choice, the Walther PK .380, but she shoots it well and likes it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hands down the S&W 642. I used to see daily what women would really carry and use vs what they'd leave at home. The 642 style of hammerless 38 won every time... but most prefered the airweight frame over SS.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My wife won't carry one even though she has a CHL and even though she went with me to pick out a handgun for her. She didn't like any of the revolvers, mainly because the small .38s only hold 5 rounds.

She chose a Taurus PT111 9mm. She shoots it well and keeps it in her night stand. She will at least carry it when traveling away from home, haven't figured out why she doesn't want to carry while close to home.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Looked at the Charter arms concealed hammer snubbie at the NRA conv.,Pittsburg.She might take a look at them.Probably make a good pocket carry piece.Light as a feather.Just a thought.

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's going to be up to the wife what she ends up with. Semi, DA, revolver... whatever.
;)

Thanks for the links, as well as the LCR info. Trying to gather as many ideas and opinions while we are shopping around. So there is some general direction and knowlege when we hit the gunshops/ranges

I appreciate the posts!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I want my wife to get her license and carry. I plan on taking her to a range to shoot a multitude of guns before purchasing one. Learned my lesson from my own mistakes. Actually bought a Taurus PT111 for myself and hated it. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from past 10 feet! My wife refused to even try it. Traded it in and picked up a Springfield XD subcompact and love it. Probably going to look at revolvers for her. She enjoys my father's Glocks in .45 and his S&W 6 inch in .357 (her fav) so we will see. Again, have her try some and see what she likes.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Talk to a local NRA certified instructor if you can. Have the instructor meet her and show her the ropes a little. You often can find a woman instructor through many local NRA instruction teams too. The key for the wife is shot placement. Whether she does it with a .38, .380 or .32 caliber pistol is unimportant as long as she gets a good hit with her chosen firearm. Most local gun ranges have NRA instructors available or even some gun stores can refer you to somebody from the local NRA team who can then put you in contact with a woman instructor if that would help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've never trusted any semi auto pistol to work properly after being pulled from the overstuffed, gritty bag that is my wife's purse. Nor do I trust my wife to properly clear a malfunction that may very well occur with a semi--especially under severe stress.

The S&W 642 goes "bang!" when you pull the trigger. It will do it again if YOU do it again. We own 3 and I trust them to work every time. They are also lighter than most other "serious caliber" concealed carry options.

just my 2 pesos

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
I bought my wife a stainless steel S&W Model 640 when they first came out almost twenty years ago. At that time it was .38 special only, not the .357 they make today.

It was one of the best buys I ever made for her. She loves it and what is even more important, she loves to practice with it. Good idea, going with a revolver for her. Another nice thing about the S&W 642 is they are double action only. No one can ever say she fired it "accidentally". If it was fired, it's because she meant it, because she felt threatened.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A glock 19 or 26 depending on what she liked better. For some reason everyone always seem to push the ladies towards the wheel guns. Glock as less parts than a wheel gun and super reliable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am pursuing my conceal carry and actually just bought my first handgun. With the help of my DH, our neighbor, and our gun dealer; I choose the Springfield Armory compact XDm. I love it.

I tried so many of the really compact guns, but kept going back to a 9mm. This one fit my hand so nicely, it was almost love at first shot! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts