Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this because I was just informed by a city librarian that effective tomorrow all city libraries will be closed immediately for AT LEAST a week. This affects me to a considerable degree because I operate out of public libraries and don't have a personal computer. But I will be investigating other venues to get back online. Anyway, just wanted to put this out there for those computer users who are in situations like mine. Goodbye, COLD CRUEL INTERNET. ; )

·
Registered
589 Posts
I usually sit in my County Library's parking lot and connect to their wifi from my truck.
Got a pair of old laptops, one a Dell runnin' XP and a Toshiba with W7. They connect fine with the signal comin' through the walls. Should be easy enough to find something similar. Wouldn't recommend doin' all your financial transactions this way, but it's sure faster to get updates, downloads, et cetera for those machines than with my PC at home on dial up.
And no, I don't have a magic elf box attached to the ends of my fingers to keep up with facespace, gaggle or twatter. Haven't needed those things for the first 72 years of my life, ain't expectin' to need 'em for the next 20 or so I have left.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
go buy a cheap tablet/refurbished pc find cafes w open wifi and do your thing....
I just searched, and found a Chromebook laptop for $199.
This requires wifi, of course, so you would need a place
to get that (free!)

Around here I can find free wifi outside the library walls,
outside the hotel across the street, at a couple of coffee shops,
at a nearby college campus.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
If you have any phone that isn't a potato, you can use it as a 4G/5G wireless hotspot with a tablet/laptop/desktop with a wireless adapter.

If you're looking for something cheap, I'd recommend looking for a cheap Lenovo laptop on eBay ($100-$200) and installing Linux Mint on it. That's what got me through collage. I spent $200 on a laptop and I still use it today.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,618 Posts
I have had good luck with used / refurbished HP laptops from Ebay and Amazon.

Paid 100 to 120 dollars each. 2 are now fantastic machines. 1 came with a shot battery and had some sort of very persistent malware.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
There is a new version of Microsoft Surface Go coming out soon-ish, depends on this corona thing. Anyways, it means people are going to dump their old versions.

The starter version with 64GB hdd was 399 couple years ago, 128GB a bit more. Do not touch the 64GB, it is a lot slower than 128 model.

1. It runs full version of Windows
2. 10" - same size as a regular iPad. Very portable.
3. charges via usb-c, ie. power banks and car chargers, solar...

It is a wee bit slow machine compared to other modern computers, but totally capable for forums and word, excel, youtube & netflix type use. In comparison: it is faster than 1st gen i7-620M but slower than 3rd gen i5-3337U.

I'm currently waiting for the new version release, so I could see how much better it is compared to the old one and then I'll decide which one I'll get. I'll want a more capable device I can carry alongside my work laptop, iPad is good for facebook and browsing only.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
I have had good luck wtih used / refurbished HP laptops from Ebay and Amazon.

Paid 100 to 120 dollars each. 2 are now fantastic machines. 1 came with a shot battery and had some sort of very persistant malware.
With any used laptop I ditch the battery and hard drive. $60 for a 250GB SSD and $30 for a new battery should do the trick. If you're stuck on getting Win 10 and know how to actually secure it:
https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/windows-privacy-settings/
You can buy a legal copy for about $30, key and disk included. No disk drive? Buy a USB one for about $20.

·
Bug-In Prepper
973 Posts
The thrift stores around here usually have an older desktop computer or two for $20 or so.

Ebay regularly has $60'ish laptops, and occasionally $25'ish laptops which might be missing a hard drive (another $15 to replace) and an operating system (Linux is free, folks on survivalistboards can help you through the learning curve if need be).

If you can get a phone, phablet or tablet, you might want to consider it because their power requirements are much, much lower than a desktop or laptop. That comes in handy during a power outage. One of those portable car-jumper batteries with USB charging ports can keep a tablet going all week.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If you have any phone that isn't a potato, you can use it as a 4G/5G wireless hotspot with a tablet/laptop/desktop with a wireless adapter.

If you're looking for something cheap, I'd recommend looking for a cheap Lenovo laptop on eBay ($100-$200) and installing Linux Mint on it. That's what got me through collage. I spent $200 on a laptop and I still use it today.
You don't need a "wireless adapter" if you have a data cable to connect to a USB port.

With my phone, that's also the charging cable.

Your service plan has to allow "tethering" though.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,618 Posts
With any used laptop I ditch the battery and hard drive. $60 for a 250GB SSD and $30 for a new battery should do the trick. If you're stuck on getting Win 10 and know how to actually secure it:
https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/windows-privacy-settings/
You can buy a legal copy for about $30, key and disk included. No disk drive? Buy a USB one for about $20.
The last one I bought last month has a clean Win 10 install and came with a good battery.
The other 2 were windows 7 and both had a bunch of malware on them. One I cleaned up easily, the other one has some lingering problem where it hangs up and gets stuck after a while. Only 1 of the 3 had a dead battery.

·
Registered
772 Posts
one of my issues right now is the increased traffic on the internet which will only increase when everyone is at home, is going to slow the networks down

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
one of my issues right now is the increased traffic on the internet which will only increase when everyone is at home, is going to slow the networks down
That's why I like my overnight shift at work, I sleep 09:00-17:00. I'm up when my timezone is sleeping. I never have to worry about competing with my area for bandwidth.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,714 Posts
As a self employed IT guy, i manage SMB's, i have a pretty sweet home office set up.

att 1gb fiber to the dmark in garage then to my GB switch, off to my gb rated lan and devices.

i added unfi enterprise class wifi access points to provide a dome of multi channel/frequency coverage.

the only way i'll lose internet is if the power grid fails or att's grid goes down, and then there will be more important things to worry about....

be well and safe all..

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
Just me, I don't know much about computers these days but a friend suggested Malware bites. It has a free version... I have had some things caught by it. It is not very annoying asking you to upgrade either.

·
I have control issues
5,988 Posts
As a self employed IT guy, i manage SMB's, i have a pretty sweet home office set up.

att 1gb fiber to the dmark in garage then to my GB switch, off to my gb rated lan and devices.

i added unfi enterprise class wifi access points to provide a dome of multi channel/frequency coverage.

the only way i'll lose internet is if the power grid fails or att's grid goes down, and then there will be more important things to worry about....

be well and safe all..
You DO realize that only we fellow computer geeks are going to understand what you just posted? To the rest of the folks, you might as well have been speaking Greek...

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can get yourself an inexpensive computer, and there is a Starbucks near you, they usually have free Wi-Fi you can connect to. With my local Starbucks, I don't even have to be in the store to connect to their WiFi, although I need to be within 30 feet or so of their store. I've tested this by parking in the front of the store and connecting with my iPhone and laptop. Of course, if they decide to close for a couple of weeks, you probably can't connect to their WiFi.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,618 Posts
You DO realize that only we fellow computer geeks are going to understand what you just posted? To the rest of the folks, you might as well have been speaking Greek...

be well and safe all..

I understood perfectly.
He is the Captain of an Enterprise class Starship as part of the United Fideration of Planets. (Unfi for short). .
Everyone knows them Starships have awesome computers.

He also manages an SMB lineup of "IT Girls" with his pimp cane. (Pretty sweet).

With it, he will wack you on the dome if you get outta line. "AKA Dome coverage"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_girl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts