Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm looking into buying a compound bow (for fun, target, possible vermin hunting and backup in case SHTF). My main question is about trying to keep it reasonable for a beginner on a limited budget, but still buying the best quality bow within those restrictions.

Should I look into the Mission, Diamond or something else?

So far, I'm leaning towards the Mission Menace because it's so adjustable, I can probably pass it on to my lil one someday when I'm ready to upgrade.

So, what's your opinion on Mission Menace vs Diamond or other equals?

·
Plays best, alone
4,948 Posts
Mission is a line from Mathews, and a quality product. I have their Maniac model from about 3 yrs ago. Best thing to do is go to a bow shop and shoot as many as you can. Personally I didn't like the Diamond that I tried, but everyone is a little different. I really liked the Elite Answer, but the Mission won out only because this was my first bow purchase in years, and didn't want to spend 1k.

·
Banned
951 Posts
best thing i can recommend is go to a shop that has a few bows and get the feel for them, every bow feels and holds differently, if you do purchase one online i recommend going to a shop and holding it and at least draw in it before you decide, the worst thing you can do is start out in archery and have a bow that doesn't fit you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mission is a line from Mathews, and a quality product. I have their Maniac model from about 3 yrs ago. Best thing to do is go to a bow shop and shoot as many as you can. Personally I didn't like the Diamond that I tried, but everyone is a little different. I really liked the Elite Answer, but the Mission won out only because this was my first bow purchase in years, and didn't want to spend 1k.
Thanks for the POV. I am almost decided on the Mission! I've tried them in class and liked the feel.

The Hoyt Charger great bow. Not sure if $600 to much for you. But it has a great let down is why I got one.
That might be a bit much for a first bow, especially since the rest of the stuff would kick it up to almost a grand. I'll consider it for my upgrade, though, when I hand my 1st down to my lil boy.

best thing i can recommend is go to a shop that has a few bows and get the feel for them, every bow feels and holds differently, if you do purchase one online i recommend going to a shop and holding it and at least draw in it before you decide, the worst thing you can do is start out in archery and have a bow that doesn't fit you.
Great, thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Go Matthews or Hoyt...you won't go wrong. As you get more advanced, you can step up, but even their base models are great. A very close friend swears by PSE, and almost had me converted...almost.

·
What would Mal do
4,787 Posts
good advise all around on this thread..congrats on your choice of the Mission.

I've found that most any decent bow is better than i deserve...i go through spurts where i might literally have time to toss 3 or 4 dozen arrows when I get home from work...and I'll do that for a couple weeks at least 4 or 5 days...then I'll put it up for maybe a month or 2 before I make time and get back to shooting.

i don't currently bow hunt, so mostly target, and i don't really count bow fishing as an accuracy thing.

since i'm not that serious about it, I've been able to enjoy my old recurve from the early 70s, as well as mid grade Martin compound, and for bow fishing, the PSE wave series does the job just fine..none of my bows ever peaked the $400 mark even when new/retail...but I buy used anyway so I simply haven't spent more than about $150 for a bow including upgrades add-ons.

Any of these enable me to pop a balloon or make another hole in a target bag in the backyard range, scare the occassional squirrel (lol), and bring home an unsuspecting flounder from a night on the creek...

Despite TV shows like the Arrow, or Hawkeye on the Avengers... I don't really see a bow coming in to play in a fight i would ever get in to. (grin).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Craze is better than the menace... Easy to adjust draw n weight,....
I looked at the Craze, too. Since I'll probably hand this purchase down to a child, though, the Menace has a shorter draw length. Two inches doesn't seem like much but I bet it's a year longer to wait for a child.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts