Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a recurve three piece bow as one of my tools and its a real kerfuffle putting it togther every time I used it, and its over 5 ft long so its unweildy.

Can I keep a Compound Bow strung for very long periods and bring it into operation quickly?

How long can a compound bow remain strung until it loses power ?

Whats the cheapest, most basic but rugged compound I could keep by the back door?
NR

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Can I keep a Compound Bow strung for very long periods and bring it into operation quickly?
Yes the only time mine is not strung is when the string is being replaced.

How long can a compound bow remain strung until it loses power ?
I can generally get two years of hard use before replacing my string and thats due to wear and tear on it not stretching. In your situation you can probably go well past that if your not shooting it a lot.

Whats the cheapest, most basic but rugged compound I could keep by the back door?
I would generally say a decent quality bow should run starting at about 500.00 or so bucks and easily go to 900.00 before you add accessories. Many can be quiet compact too for the amount of power they have with only a 32 inch span from Axle to Axle.

·
Hunter
402 Posts
Try this

Look on the internet and if you're after one, buy one from one of the big gun stores like Cabela's in USA, half the price to what you'd pay in UK even with import tax added, much much bigger choice, far more accessories. I hunted successfully in Texas with a neat compound - PSE Stinger 60lb draw weight - and was so impressed I shipped one over 2 years 2 month ago. Never been unstrung and shoots awesome still, not a hint of string stretch or loss of power. Just over half the length of my longbow and recurve. Do it!

·
Hunter
402 Posts
Try this

Look on the internet and if you're after one, buy one from one of the big gun stores like Cabela's in USA, half the price to what you'd pay in UK even with import tax added, much much bigger choice, far more accessories. I hunted successfully in Texas with a neat compound - PSE Stinger 60lb draw weight - and was so impressed I shipped one over 2 years 2 month ago. Never been unstrung and shoots awesome still, not a hint of string stretch or loss of power. Just over half the length of my longbow and recurve. Do it!

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Compouns are excellent choice , recurves are antiques ,an simply nestalgic.
Arrow recovery is going to be your basic concern in the long run ,
Because of the power they deliver an the ability to hold a drawn bow for a much longer period of time before releasing, your accuricy can improve dramatically .
I have compounds that have never been unstrung and still perform flawlessly.
I have to use an over draw on my bows. it's ok ,it provides me a varrying length of arrows to choose from . I never carry just one size or type of arrow, depending on the game that pops up .
I'm not very good either, lucky to hit a pie plate at 100 feet. some days are better than others.
One last thing , check out the local pawn shops , likely to find some great deals there .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts