Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not.

My grandfather gave me his compound bow, a Point Blank Carbon CR-41. I know that this bow is old, like early to mid 1990s old. It was also a bow that I learned to shoot with, and I took my first deer with it.

So, I take it to my home range and decide to break it in with my grandfather watching. So, first shot off, there's a loud snap sound and the arrow goes way off target. I inspect the bow and find that the upper cam wheel has a section that has started to peel off and that he string is no longer seated in it. Now, the bow can't be drawn, not that I feel it's safe to do so.

I've been looking for a month or so for replacement parts, but haven't come up with any luck yet. I know the bow isn't worth much monetarily, but it holds sentimental value to me. Does anybody have any recommendations for getting new parts for it?

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,027 Posts
The bow industry is always changing, good luck with finding the parts. The best answer I have is to look on craigslist or the Goodwill auction sites for the same bow, look in fleamarkets garage sales etc. but you might be stuck with a mancave wall hanger. I would cable tie it and put it on the wall as a cherished companion. Whats to say the next bow won't have the same problem?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,278 Posts
Once you get the replacement part, you can make another one by casting it from aluminum.

We made a few things like this when I was a kid in metal shop at school. It is not very difficult, if you have the few special items needed.

A sprinkle bag of flux
A 2 half sand box, with precision indexing boards
a hunk of aluminum
Fire, melting pot
Some wood or plastic pegs to make the sprues.
Sand

That's pretty much all you need. Then when you get your casting, you sand it to finish it off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice from everyone. I'm taking the bow to my brother this weekend. He's used compound bows for years (I prefer recurve) and may know some people with parts. If that fails, he can help me track down usable parts or make them as was suggested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not.

My grandfather gave me his compound bow, a Point Blank Carbon CR-41. I know that this bow is old, like early to mid 1990s old. It was also a bow that I learned to shoot with, and I took my first deer with it.

So, I take it to my home range and decide to break it in with my grandfather watching. So, first shot off, there's a loud snap sound and the arrow goes way off target. I inspect the bow and find that the upper cam wheel has a section that has started to peel off and that he string is no longer seated in it. Now, the bow can't be drawn, not that I feel it's safe to do so.

I've been looking for a month or so for replacement parts, but haven't come up with any luck yet. I know the bow isn't worth much monetarily, but it holds sentimental value to me. Does anybody have any recommendations for getting new parts for it?

the first thing i would do is call or email the company that made it, if not for then for technical info and specs. ebay, arcbery talk and your local arcbery pro shop, ot cabelas and not basspro, but an actual archery shop and they can hell you out. the big thing here is your limbs. cams and pullys can be had for anything if you want to soend the $$. i would have it un strung and checked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts