Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thought, I am leaning towards starting my homesteading / permanent BOL living by living in a trailer. (or two)

I would like to make use of a composting toilet rather than the usual flush units, but whenever I speak to a dealer they look at me as though I have a third arm. To me a composting toilet would be ideal for a travel trailer but I seem to be part of a (very) small minority.

Is there a reason why a composting toilet is not suitable for a trailer? What is it about composting toilets that elicit such strange reaction from folks?

Thanks
Pol

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pol,

Many Tiny Houses on Wheels have composting toilets so I can't see why having one in a travel trailer would be objectionable.

Making sure the bucket is either emptied (preferable) or well sealed before towing the rig would be important of course, but if you are intending to use the trailer as a permanent residence then using a composting toilet has many advantages.

Objections to CTs are often based on uninformed opinions or misinformation and a bit of research into the subject should dispel those.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
They can become an issue if actually traveling with them. All sorts of places on the road have dump spots for black and gray water tanks. None have spots to empty a compost toilet. For staying parked on your own property or short trips they work extreamly well.

In ours we use damp sawdust in 5he summer and ashes from the wood stove in the winter. When done right they have less smell than a regular flushing toilet.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
If you want a composting toilet with no smell at all you can put a box around the bucket and connect a vent from the box to outside powered by a computer fan. Even in use it will produce NO smell. Unlike a typical bathroom fan that sucks through the ceiling and spreads the smell around the room.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want a composting toilet with no smell at all you can put a box around the bucket and connect a vent from the box to outside powered by a computer fan. Even in use it will produce NO smell. Unlike a typical bathroom fan that sucks through the ceiling and spreads the smell around the room.
I was looking at a unit from nature’s head or sunmar. I’ll have a stinky smell on account of the cats litter box anyway, but a ozone generator sort that out pretty good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Depending on what you use in the cat's litter box you might also be able to empty that into the CT too. Our kitty litter is paper based and can be composted.

·
The Lieutenant
1,620 Posts
Several of the smaller travel trailers and some truck campers have what they call a cassette toilet. There is usually an exterior door to access the removable bottom toilet tank to dump it. Another option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts