Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are starting our fall garden and want to use compost. Anyone get any good results with mushroom compost? We used bull manure for the spring garden with some success.We have a home composter with dirt in that. We have not been putting scraps in it anymore since we have pigs. Can we use the pig and rabbitt poo?:confused:

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
My 8' x 4' x 12" raised bed is about 1:1:1 peat moss:mushroom compost:black cow topsoil

I've read that there can be some issues with salt from mushroom compost, but the mixture has been aging in the bed for nearly 5 months. A few months ago, I test the soil and amended accordingly.

As for growing experience, my mother used mushroom compost to build her beds for her summer garden. Everything produced great, but the compost is just the first part of the equation. Whatever adds organic matter to the soil is good, as far as I'm concerned. Start piling your leaves and grass clippings and vegetable peels in one spot and keep it covered so you can make your own compost and have it ready for next season. I think the mushroom compost will be fine.

As for the pig poop, I wouldn't use it. I had intended to use top soil from an old pig pen a while back, but I decided against it after discovering that the pigs were fed a little of everything. The rabbit poop, on the other hand, would be fine. They're eating a vegetarian diet, I assume.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What he said....

I use mushy compost ($30/trailer load over here, v. good value) however:

What mushypost is is straw/hay which has been rotted and amended with gypsum, blood & bone, I think a bit of sand, and a variety of other goodies. The stuff I get is organic - and I have a funny feeling it all has to be or mushies don't grow but don't know that for a fact.

Point being, it will amend the soil, it will give goodies, but is not a long-term nutrition solution, as Fulm above said you have to grow yr own compost - it doesn't have to contain vege scraps, it can be tree/twigs/bark/mown grass/dead flowers. vege scraps would be an absolutely minimal amount in my compost - they get fed to the chooks.

Pig pooh gives me the willies & if I were going to use it, I'd want to compost/age it for 2 yrs. They're so close to humans, esp thinking of the swine flu - pathogens can shift species in some cases and I would treat pig pooh just like human pooh and absolutely avoid it in the vege patch although I know people do use humanure in the vege patch - after they've aged it maybe 3 yrs! But there are plenty of other things to put it on though (once aged) - firewood trees, lawn, flower garden, hedgerow, etc.

So re the mushypost: always good, don't plant into it straight, it has to be mixed into the soil (ie can't do a lasagene garden with it because too strong initially, burn roots). I personally love the stuff and so do the worms.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
I'm not a she :)

The mushroom compost is actually a growing medium previously used to grow mushrooms. After the mushrooms are harvested, the "mushroom compost" is bagged and sold off and then they make new growing medium.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I dug out an removed heavy clay for an in ground garden this past spring. I replaced it with a 50/50 mixture of black earth and spent mushroom compost. Great results. No additional fertilizer has been used.

-Per.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts