Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to building my compost tumbler. I used a blue barrel (I think it is 55 gal)....some bed frames (yes, bed frames), and some "all-thread".

I have been keeping some old bed frames in anticipation of using them for the angle iron. I cut all the pieces to length and welded them together. I took a piece of all-thread and ran it through the middle of the barrel. I welded a washer on one end to act as a "stop". About 5 inches in from that, I welded another washer to act as the barrel stop. Ran it through the barrel (after drilling 2 holes in the barrel), then ran a nut down to act as the other barrel stop. Then a nut on the end of the all-thread. At the top of the triangle frame on both sides I cut "U" shapes for the all-thread to sit in. Drilled some holes in the barrel for air and that's about it. I put some grass that I tore up from my new garden area in the composter. I was kind of worried how it would spin with a decent amount of weight in it, bu it does great.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
what a great idea.you done a nice job also of putting all the scrounged goods together.its good to have 'visions' and then make them come to life.look at the money you saved by not buying a pre-fab composter.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Way to be! I need to do something like this. Right now I'm stuck with just throwing scraps in the buckets that serve as my 'garden'.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what a great idea.you done a nice job also of putting all the scrounged goods together.its good to have 'visions' and then make them come to life.look at the money you saved by not buying a pre-fab composter.
Thanks! I have been wanting to build one for a while, and finally found the time to do it.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
I've got two composters that have rusted out leggings. One is a 30 gallon bucket similar to this setup, whereas the other is a commercially produced rig. I had been thinking of redoing the legs with some schedule 40 PVC and building a solid base. However, the thought of recycling a bed frame is quite appealing to me for this project. I will have to see if I can acquire one for it. Good idea there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts