Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,941 Posts
I have seen many different kinds of rolling drums and pile setups over the years.

In college we made piles with measured amounts of this and that; to make it just 'perfect' according to the textbooks.

I have a few friends who make annual piles. One pile each year, and on the fourth year they use it. But it seems that most of them turn it straight into their grow beds.

I have areas on my land where the decomposition is high-nitrogen bacterial [my raised beds] and other areas where it is low-nitrogen fungal [forest].

All of our table scraps go to our pets or livestock. Livestock manure is turned into our raised beds. Manure will 'cook' wherever you pile it, when it is done cooking it is great for gardening.

I really do not have anything left over to go into a compost system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't justify spending all that money making a frame and such just to rot garden scraps, I just used a Furniture dolly I had in the shed and turned it over and popped the barrel on top.
LOL!! Your so right man:) On the other hand I was not thinking about it the same way. All that rotting garden scarps = great soil = organic veggies = healthy farmily and money savings.

I love the door stop you have there! That was an issue for me. Without it the door just swings right back in.

What are you planing on doing with that other barrel?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen many different kinds of rolling drums and pile setups over the years.

In college we made piles with measured amounts of this and that; to make it just 'perfect' according to the textbooks.

I have a few friends who make annual piles. One pile each year, and on the fourth year they use it. But it seems that most of them turn it straight into their grow beds.

I have areas on my land where the decomposition is high-nitrogen bacterial [my raised beds] and other areas where it is low-nitrogen fungal [forest].

All of our table scraps go to our pets or livestock. Livestock manure is turned into our raised beds. Manure will 'cook' wherever you pile it, when it is done cooking it is great for gardening.

I really do not have anything left over to go into a compost system.

Hey Forestbeekeeper:)

So in those high nitrogen areas you should plant corn and tomatoes! And in those low-nitrogen areas you should plant mushroom like button mushrooms and maybe even get some hardwood logs and plant some shiitakes:) Of course that's if it's a shaded area;)

I still use my barrel but you're right after a while of gardening you tend to "compost in place". I feed most of my garden scraps to my rabbit and chickens. They chomp it all up and poop it all out! The rabbit manure I put that directly into the places I'm going to plant but the chicken manure needs to be composted. So I compost chicken manure.

I don't do heavy planting during the winter anymore because I alow to let the soil rest and let things compost in place, so when spring comes, I got great black soil!

You ever deal with mushrooms before? I'm just scratching the surface of growing them:)

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,941 Posts
Hey Forestbeekeeper:)

So in those high nitrogen areas you should plant corn and tomatoes!
I do. Though we rarely have enough days to get corn to mature.

... And in those low-nitrogen areas you should plant mushroom like button mushrooms and maybe even get some hardwood logs and plant some shiitakes:) Of course that's if it's a shaded area;)
... Birch polypore, false turkey tail, too many inkcaps, and many others. Including about 10-acres of Fiddleheads.

I also plant ginseng. We have ramps, horse radish, Japanese knotweed and mullein. Looking at sugar beets, carrots and leeks.

... I still use my barrel but you're right after a while of gardening you tend to "compost in place". I feed most of my garden scraps to my rabbit and chickens. They chomp it all up and poop it all out! The rabbit manure I put that directly into the places I'm going to plant but the chicken manure needs to be composted. So I compost chicken manure.

I don't do heavy planting during the winter anymore because I alow to let the soil rest and let things compost in place, so when spring comes, I got great black soil!

You ever deal with mushrooms before? I'm just scratching the surface of growing them:)
I have chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs. I used to have goats, sheep and rabbits.

We produce a few mushrooms.

·
Be Prepared
1,087 Posts
Most of our scraps go to the dog or the farm animals. The bones we don't want the dog to get go into the outside wood furnace. The bones don't go away completely but they turn into bright white flecks in the grey ash pile.

The stuff the animals don't eat just get put into the tall grass to get turned back into soil. If we need organic matter for the garden it comes in the form of waste hay from the barn with goat manure mixed in of course.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do. Though we rarely have enough days to get corn to mature.

... Birch polypore, false turkey tail, too many inkcaps, and many others. Including about 10-acres of Fiddleheads.

I also plant ginseng. We have ramps, horse radish, Japanese knotweed and mullein. Looking at sugar beets, carrots and leeks.

I have chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs. I used to have goats, sheep and rabbits.

We produce a few mushrooms.

Wow, so much cool stuff going on at your house:) You deal with making any cheeses or anything like that? I mean goat cheeses!

What are each of those animals used for? Chickens = Meat & Eggs? Turkey's? Etc etc?

Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of our scraps go to the dog or the farm animals. The bones we don't want the dog to get go into the outside wood furnace. The bones don't go away completely but they turn into bright white flecks in the grey ash pile.

The stuff the animals don't eat just get put into the tall grass to get turned back into soil. If we need organic matter for the garden it comes in the form of waste hay from the barn with goat manure mixed in of course.
Cool stuff Stiller!! I guess this composter would come in handy more for the home gardener/farmer? More of a smaller backyard type farm:)

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm trying my first compost heap on my urban lot this year. I just layered my garden waste & the old soil from the containers into a nice dome-shaped pile on my driveway. I'll turn it in spring and see what I got! I'm also planning to get some compost delivered from a local greenhouse but that has more to do with my garden expansion & a desire for new, tuber- and insect larva-free soil.

Sorry, no livestock allowed. I do have a rabbit colony growing in my hedges though. They just kind of showed up one day and I let them stay, and y'all know what rabbits do naturally. LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying my first compost heap on my urban lot this year. I just layered my garden waste & the old soil from the containers into a nice dome-shaped pile on my driveway. I'll turn it in spring and see what I got! I'm also planning to get some compost delivered from a local greenhouse but that has more to do with my garden expansion & a desire for new, tuber- and insect larva-free soil.

Sorry, no livestock allowed. I do have a rabbit colony growing in my hedges though. They just kind of showed up one day and I let them stay, and y'all know what rabbits do naturally. LOL
Poop all over the place!!! LoL!!

·
Banned
119 Posts
LOL!! Your so right man:) On the other hand I was not thinking about it the same way. All that rotting garden scarps = great soil = organic veggies = healthy farmily and money savings.

I love the door stop you have there! That was an issue for me. Without it the door just swings right back in.

What are you planing on doing with that other barrel?
I'm making several of these. I have 7 furniture dollies left over from my business I sold, And the water treatment plant in Town gives me the barrels. So I just get piano type hinges and cut them in half to get two seperate pieces and use wood scraps to screw thru the hinge, barrel and anchor to the wood strip. Then screw another wood strip to make a stop for the door. I use a cheap Twist style hasp for a door lock. I had a bunch of old Round soffit screen vents that just happen to fit in the end screw plug holes and just glued them in with construction advesive. The barrels have small ridges in the side that line up with the wheels on the dolly that keep it centered, I took Bearing grease and packed the Dolly wheel swivels and bearings good to keep water out and Rust too hopefully. I have $9.00 in each one. My Brother saw them and said they are "Stupid Easy" Whatever that means lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm making several of these. I have 7 furniture dollies left over from my business I sold, And the water treatment plant in Town gives me the barrels. So I just get piano type hinges and cut them in half to get two seperate pieces and use wood scraps to screw thru the hinge, barrel and anchor to the wood strip. Then screw another wood strip to make a stop for the door. I use a cheap Twist style hasp for a door lock. I had a bunch of old Round soffit screen vents that just happen to fit in the end screw plug holes and just glued them in with construction advesive. The barrels have small ridges in the side that line up with the wheels on the dolly that keep it centered, I took Bearing grease and packed the Dolly wheel swivels and bearings good to keep water out and Rust too hopefully. I have $9.00 in each one. My Brother saw them and said they are "Stupid Easy" Whatever that means lol.

Stupid cheap too;) LoL!! Stupid Easy = Realy easy to build. Little FYI bro;

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,941 Posts
Wow, so much cool stuff going on at your house:) You deal with making any cheeses or anything like that? I mean goat cheeses!

What are each of those animals used for? Chickens = Meat & Eggs? Turkey's? Etc etc?

Thanks for sharing!!
In the '80s we had a goat dairy and we made cheese. We no longer have dairy animals.

I sell eggs at market [chicken, duck, turkey], and honey, garlic, lard, fiddleheads, ...

We raise poultry and most falls I cull the surplus, so we only keep a bare minimum over-winter. The culled poultry my wife cans.

·
Banned
119 Posts

I Lost my best scrap disposal Critter this past tuesday, My 17 Year old Rottweiler Gabriel passed away From Kidney failure. I told my wife just last night that we were cooking to much food now cause we didn't have him anymore to enjoy sharing with. So It's back to two pack meats instead of three packs. Our Chickens do get the veggies leftover and seem to look forward to fresh cooked veggies warm from the kitchen during the cold months.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the '80s we had a goat dairy and we made cheese. We no longer have dairy animals.

I sell eggs at market [chicken, duck, turkey], and honey, garlic, lard, fiddleheads, ...

We raise poultry and most falls I cull the surplus, so we only keep a bare minimum over-winter. The culled poultry my wife cans.
I am just starting to want to make cheeses:) My wife and I are going to try our hand at it soon! Any tips would be great!! We want to make cheddar cheese!

Can I add you as a friend? I would like to message you if I need to ask something:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts