Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site. It's for a company that builds bomb shelters.

They have lots of good pictures and a downloadable pdf book that tells a lot about the shelters they build.

The book and site give a good deal of construction details. Useful to someone thinking of building their own.

One could learn a lot about building shelters from this site. It gives a lot of construction details.

http://www.americanbombshelter.com/bomb-fallout-shelter-kit.htm

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
That kit is way too much for the material you are getting in return. You would be better off going to the local metal sales yard and buying your own I-beams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
to me the big problem with ALL these bunkers, including the 2million dollar bunkers that are silos is OXYGEN. If I want in all I do is plug up the O2 and eventually you would die or open the door.
unless they have a small nuclear reactor inside and co2 scrubbers and o2 generators they are ALL vulnerable.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to me the big problem with ALL these bunkers, including the 2million dollar bunkers that are silos is OXYGEN. If I want in all I do is plug up the O2 and eventually you would die or open the door.
unless they have a small nuclear reactor inside and co2 scrubbers and o2 generators they are ALL vulnerable.
I understand Obama is planning to cut back the US Navy. You might be able to buy a good used Nuclear Submarine and bury it in your back yard.

Reactions: 375H&H

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That kit is way too much for the material you are getting in return. You would be better off going to the local metal sales yard and buying your own I-beams.
Very true. I am planning to build my own bunker. The information available there will be very helpful. I'll be buying locally, and scrounging or buying from salvage where possible.

Reactions: REM

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don't like the way front entry is setup if something falls in-front or the wall collapses you would never get out it becomes a tomb

·
"Not vengence Punishment"
1,280 Posts
I don't like the way front entry is setup if something falls in-front or the wall collapses you would never get out it becomes a tomb
That is the major problem with bunkers, they become tombs. All emergency exits should be 100 yard minimum away from each other (IMHO). Air intakes must be hidden, think hallow tree trunk. Hogan's Heroes comes to mind for hidden doors :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
These are bomb shelter plans, not meant to be zombie shelters. With a bomb shelter, there is no need to hide ventilation pipes, entry's and exits. For zombie and predator shelters the plan would be very different, hiding everything from sight, and creating a far different entry due to OPSEC.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True. I've rolled several ideas as to that around in my head.

Probably the best is to have two entries. One would only need to be a manhole.

·
Registered
869 Posts
True. I've rolled several ideas as to that around in my head.

Probably the best is to have two entries. One would only need to be a manhole.
A manhole FAR away from the shelter. Attach a pipe to the shelter, big enough to crawl through, and run it out a hundred feet or so to some type of "manhole cover" - like the hollow stump.
Where the pipe attaches to the shelter, make it some type of hidden or unnoticeable door/hatch. Behind a false cabinet, or a picture, or in a corner under a bunk. If someone does come in through the front door, you can go out through the hatch, and then possibly later come back in through the hatch and smoke them out or something.

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
I understand Obama is planning to cut back the US Navy. You might be able to buy a good used Nuclear Submarine and bury it in your back yard.
I was thinking of burying a M1 Abrams tank with just the turret sticking out but your Nuclear Submarine idea sounds like it has more space. It's really a toss up. Extra room with the sub but with the M1 Abrams you have the ability to bug out to a new location with a rolling bug out vehicle.
:D:

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
If you know it is there, and if you can find the vents and if you are not so sick that you are already dying - you may still not be able to get in because of the door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts