Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
At first I was thinking "Wow, thats a lot of stuff for a shower". But it seems to work well and might be a welcome comfort for some. With further tweeking, he could do a permanent equipment setup on a mobile platform. I'm thinking appliance dolly with wheelbarrow tires. But then again I'm one of those "black plastic boxed kits for everything" guy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pretty cool setup,seem's like it fall's in between a regular home shower and washing youself in a creek.I bet that would make a extended camping trip a lot more enjoyable.

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
I have always been the type to camp with what I can carry on my back (that includes Dutch ovens If I am so inclined) this would not be an item that fits with my method of camping. I have always carried a washrag, synthetic chamois and done what I call "spit baths" when I am in the field.

There was one exception on a trip to big bend there is a campsite with a natural hot spring.

·
7,504 Posts
I use a Zodi, does the same thing, can use a small propane bottle and stand, or hang it and attach a hose to a one of those big bottles.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
I have a Coleman shower setup that simply pumps water up a 6' hose to a showerhead. It uses D batteries and they last a long time, at least 10-12 showers. (I got rechargeable ones and a solar battery recharger, for SHTF use.) The unit has a 'foot' switch that can also be wall mounted. In a SHTF scenario, I'd rather heat the shower water on my rocket stove, which would use about 8 oz of branch wood to boil 2 gallons of water, then add that to 3 gal of water in a 5 gal bucket and drop in the pump. Actually, 1 gal of boiling to 2 gal of cold is enough for a decent shower.

I do like the idea of extending the length of the hose to more than 6' because that would let me position the bucket farther away. Now, it's right at my feet and rather restrictive.

BTW, the Coleman battery powered shower is about $20. As opposed to the on-demand water heater that's $250 and needs propane cylinders'
http://www.thefind.com/hardware/browse-coleman-battery-powered-shower

·
Registered
200 Posts
A solar shower fits quite nicely into my backpack or a tote box.

I've had proven results with solar shower, without all that extra fluff (and it's expensive too!).

And we're all adults on those trips to remote locations. Just try not to stare at the other guy's wife/girlfriend while she's showering and we won't make fun of your shriveled parts when it's your turn. LOL!

John

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A solar shower fits quite nicely into my backpack or a tote box.

I've had proven results with solar shower, without all that extra fluff (and it's expensive too!).

And we're all adults on those trips to remote locations. Just try not to stare at the other guy's wife/girlfriend while she's showering and we won't make fun of your shriveled parts when it's your turn. LOL!

John
How warm do those solar ones get? Just curious..

Hot sunny summer day? -I'm assuming very hot?

Cloudy summer day? -I'm assuming slightly warm?

Spring/Fall sunny?

Spring/Fall cloudy?

Winter sunny?

Winter cloudy?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Outdoor use only, and rechargeable 6 volt battery.

Nope, not for me, if it was safe to use in doors and ran off from standard replaceable batteries that I could recharge at my leisure then I would have it already.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Lol. A solar shower wouldn't work here, at least this summer! :(

Stupid west coast BC.

A shower like this would definitely be a huge comfort if you were camping for awhile. Especially if you're camping with someone you're going to be snuggling with.

I think it's way overboard though. All you'd need is a big container as pictured, and your usual camp equipment. Leave the container near the campfire (but not too near) or fill it with a pot. Rope it up in a tree, use a tarp to make a shower curtain... and if you really want to get fancy, bring some hosing and a shower head. Though, a few holes in an extra cap will do just fine. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts