Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the idea behind this thread is to compile all of the gear needed for camping or general survival. Organized by categories and sub-categories; below each topic goes the item and possibly some uses, info, where to get it from, etc. Entries will be added as they come. Hope it gets the support.

Shelter

• Tents
  • Family/Group Tents
  • One Man Tents
  • Primitive Shelters
    • Tipi
      • Canvas Tipi
    • Chum
    • Wickiup
    • Hogan
    • Kohte
    • Lavvu
    • Bohio
  • Bivy Sacks
  • Covers
    • Rainfly
    • Mosquito Net
    • Liner
    • Footprints
  • Sleeping Gear
  • Sleeping Bags
  • Sleeping Pads
  • Pillows
    • Pillow Sack
  • Quilts
  • Clothing
  • Shirts, Sweaters/Jackets and Vests
  • Cargo, Sweat and General Pants
  • Boots/Shoewear
  • Gloves/Hats/Protection
  • Others
    • Underwear
    • Socks
    • Belts
    • Ponchos
  • Others
    • Hammocks
    • Drum Liner
    • Survival Tarp

Tools
  • Cutting/Other
  • Knives
    • Folding
    • Fixed Blade
    • Full Tang Knife
  • Machetes
  • Axes
  • Saw
    • Folding Saw
  • Shovel
  • Folding Shovel
  • Fire Starters
  • Lighters
  • Waterproof Lighters
  • Storm/Windproof Lighters
  • Lighter Fluid
  • Magnesium Starters
  • BlastMatch
  • StrikeForce
  • Sparkie
  • Flint & Steel
  • Waterproof Matches
  • Bow Drill
  • Fire Lens
  • Tinder/Fuel
  • Alcohol
  • Cotton
  • BBQ Fuel
  • Fuel Tablets
  • Other
  • Water Purifying
  • Water Filtration
  • Tablets
  • UV Purifier
  • Cooking
  • Cooking Surface
  • Pots
  • Pans
  • Sets
  • Utensil
  • Tongue
  • Fork/Spoon
  • Stoves
  • Alcohol Stoves
  • Wood Burning Stoves
  • Other Stoves
  • Others
  • Multi-Tools
  • Bottle/Canteen
  • Waterproof Storage
  • Whistles
  • First Aid Kits
  • Sewing

Packing
  • Backpacks
    • ALICE Pack
    • MOLLE Pack
    • Hiking Backpack
    • General Backpacks
  • Waist/Fanny Packs
  • Cargo Bags
    • Side Bags
  • Others

Food
  • Freeze Dried/Dehydrated Foods
  • General Food
  • Water/Liquids
    • Powder Flavoring
    • Coffee Powder
    • Powder Milk
  • Snacks
  • Others
    • Caffeine Gum
    • Cigarretes

Navigation
  • Directions
    • GPS
    • Maps
      • Road Maps
      • Topographic Maps
    • Compass
  • Traveling Gear
    • Binoculars
  • Communication
    • Cellphone
    • Radio Phone
    • Reflective Metal (Signal)
    • Whistle
    • Cordage

• Paracord (550)
    • Nylon Rope
    • Poly Rope
  • Others

Hunting
  • Defense
    • Firearms
      • Handguns
      • Rifles
      • Other
        • Throwing Knives
        • Baton
        • Dagger
    • Ammunition
      • Magazines
      • Bullets/General Ammo
  • Fishing
    • Rods
    • Reel
    • Nets
    • Fishing Line
    • Hooks and Sinkers
    • Bait
    • Fish Storage
    • Life Jacket
    • Other
  • General Hunting Gear
    • Traps
      • Snares
  • Others

Morale
  • Entertainment
    • Cards
    • Board Games
    • Portable Video Games
    • MP3 Player
    • DVD Player
    • Radio
    • Books
  • Hygiene
    • Comb
    • Razor
    • Soap
    • Toothbrush
    • Deodorant
    • Pocket Mirror
    • Wet Wipes
    • Nail Clippers

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Binoculars, mosquito headnets, bug spray, wet-wipes for hand washing, hats, sunglasses,sunscreen, dehydrated or dry foods that keep, good full tang knife, small shovel, lots of water carriers or filtration stuff, extra socks, undies, etc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'd add saws to cutting tools. Water filters to purifying (not all filters are purifiers and not not all purifiers are filters). Ferro Rods to fire starting. In cooking you need canister, liquid fuel, solid fuel, and something to indicate natural fuel (others could probably word that better). In Electronics I would add communication, and probably beacons. I guess in Other, you could put Compass and Map, but I think Navigation, or some other cool name, should be it's own category (in that you could put GPS, and other navigation tools, with sub cats like electronic, analog), just so many navigation tools, that I think are essential tools to successful navigation.

That's all I can think of right now, you will get lots of folks adding tons of useful categories though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Binoculars, mosquito headnets, bug spray, wet-wipes for hand washing, hats, sunglasses,sunscreen, dehydrated or dry foods that keep, good full tang knife, small shovel, lots of water carriers or filtration stuff, extra socks, undies, etc.
Thanks for your help! Will add your info ;)

I'd add saws to cutting tools. Water filters to purifying (not all filters are purifiers and not not all purifiers are filters). Ferro Rods to fire starting. In cooking you need canister, liquid fuel, solid fuel, and something to indicate natural fuel (others could probably word that better). In Electronics I would add communication, and probably beacons. I guess in Other, you could put Compass and Map, but I think Navigation, or some other cool name, should be it's own category (in that you could put GPS, and other navigation tools, with sub cats like electronic, analog), just so many navigation tools, that I think are essential tools to successful navigation.

That's all I can think of right now, you will get lots of folks adding tons of useful categories though.
Will definitively add a Navigation category and consider your additions, thanks!

I was thinking maybe we can add each item with a link of where to get it, since there's so many different brands and manufacturers.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
"Survival" means many different things to many different people. Some people have a comfort threshold that they won't go below, and others are perfectly happy wallowing in the mud. So, when you talk about creating a definitive gear list for survival it becomes a little muddled.

The guy who loves to wallow in the mud will tell you that he only needs a knife, canteen, and bandana.

The guy with the comfort level will tell you that he won't roll without his thermarest or motor home.

Otzi the Iceman will tell you that he doens't go anywhere without his hatchet and tinder fingus.

Everyone's 14 year old daughter will tell you that she'd die without her iphone.

In this fashion, your request is going to generate an endless list of items, but I am interested to see what people post! I personally wouldn't add anything that hasn't already been said! :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally understand your point twyggy. I know there are endless possibilities, but with the help of everyone it can get growing slowly and adding as it goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thread has been done waaaayyy to many times lol theres a sticky of it!!!!
You mean this thread: Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items ?
Which is just people posting their gear and commenting about it. I do NOT see any lists or compilations. If you find one in the same fashion, I will happily remove this one. Thanks

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
I like it I think a website for each would be awesome but kinda hard since sites always have sales maybe instead of a site list top 3 or 5 brands then people can search brands and buy from best site I.e . Knives would be something like Becker/ka-bar, esse, mora, buck, gerber, and people can search those for what they like

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like it I think a website for each would be awesome but kinda hard since sites always have sales maybe instead of a site list top 3 or 5 brands then people can search brands and buy from best site I.e . Knives would be something like Becker/ka-bar, esse, mora, buck, gerber, and people can search those for what they like
Definitively like your idea of posting top brands instead of sites. Thanks!

I'd add morale section
Could you explain a bit more?

Thanks for the support!

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Definitively like your idea of posting top brands instead of sites. Thanks!

Could you explain a bit more?

Thanks for the support!
Morale? Maybe things like deck of cards, harmonica or other instrument, tobbacco, I would stay away from electronics, flask of fine bourbon, a women you know MORALE boosters ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry I'm still working on my english... I define morale as manners or the such, if you know what I mean. I was thinking on adding an Entertainment category' Maybe 'Morale' fits better?

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Sorry I'm still working on my english... I define morale as manners or the such, if you know what I mean. I was thinking on adding an Entertainment category' Maybe 'Morale' fits better?
Haha Palo I was just fooling about the women part but you may be confusing moral with morale. Morals are what define us and aid us in the battle of good and evil. Morale is our attitude the best soldiers don't have to be the best trained but have the highest morale. Think about it when you have had a long hard day at work I mean just a rough day and you sit down kinda bummed thinking about what your doing it all for and you pop open a nice cold beer and it relaxes you makes ya feel a little better or coming home from a long day of construction digging holes and your tired and your back hurts and you take that nice long hot shower and feel much better after those are morale boosters.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha Palo I was just fooling about the women part but you may be confusing moral with morale. Morals are what define us and aid us in the battle of good and evil. Morale is our attitude the best soldiers don't have to be the best trained but have the highest morale. Think about it when you have had a long hard day at work I mean just a rough day and you sit down kinda bummed thinking about what your doing it all for and you pop open a nice cold beer and it relaxes you makes ya feel a little better or coming home from a long day of construction digging holes and your tired and your back hurts and you take that nice long hot shower and feel much better after those are morale boosters.
Thanks for clearing that up!

What about adding primitive fire to the fire starters section I.e. flint and steel,fire lens, bow drill
Gotcha!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts