Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice allot of distortion when I am sitting in or near my truck and it is with multiple compass options.Question do others have the same issue or is something wrong with my vehicle.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
A vehicle will throw off your compass, lots of metal. You need to move 15-20 feet away to shoot an azimuth or it will be affected. I've seen guys layout a map on the hood of a vehicle, plot a course, shoot an azimuth and start off in the wrong direction.

A second compass next to the one you're using will throw off a reading also, so will a rifle.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
The compass that I kept in my old Mustang would go completely wonkers
sitting in the little change compartment I kept it in. I got even worse when
the car was moving.

I finally figured out that it was right over the drive shaft hump and
that large chunk of spinning steel was playing havoc with the compass.

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
Pieces of metal (ferrous) near a compass can cause erratic behavior.
A compass contains a magnet. Magnets are attracted to metal.
Your car is made of metal, therefore what you are experiencing is normal. :thumb:

When I use the compass on my watch band while in the car I have to move the compass to the center console area to get it to point to the engine block.
FIFY. ;)

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,381 Posts
A compass contains a magnet. Magnets are attracted to metal.
Your car is made of metal, therefore what you are experiencing is normal. :thumb:

FIFY. ;)
What if when I look to the sun I confirm that I'm not traveling north or south? And that my wrist compass follows magnetic north rather than the engine block as I change direction. ;)

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Dont forget EM fields too. Wiring, CD.DVD players, CB Radios....anything with a electric motor, transformer, etc can set up EM fields (which can vary with time) can and will effect a compass.

·
Oh noes, the end is near!
164 Posts
Hello everyone.

The topic of using compasses in metal vehicles has a simple solution: As you know, magnetic compasses are affected by the metal mass of the car, and also by the electric wiring, the solution is to install a gyro compass. gyro compasses not dependent on terrestrial magnetism, and balancing work with planetary rotation. To do this use a rings rotating system powered by a electric source, and this type of compass always pointing true north, so that they do not need to calculate the declination for the area in which we are moving.

In the market there are many models for installation in all types of metal motor vehicles, but often bulky and are not cheap. Install a gyro compass in a car is something I see as suitable for professionals or for people who take long-distance inland navigation very seriously, and need high-precision equipment

Greetings

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I notice allot of distortion when I am sitting in or near my truck and it is with multiple compass options.Question do others have the same issue or is something wrong with my vehicle.
Yes, there's something wrong with your vehicle. It's made of metal. If you want your compass to be accurate, move away from the vehicle.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Never use a compass inside or near any vehicle or large deposits of metal or electrical equipment like power lines. Also take some land navigation courses so you don't NEED to rely on a compass as often. Long ago I learned to index off of the sun's position in the sky. I learned this while I was in combat in Viet Nam. My wife and I have been together for 25 years and it still amazes her to this day that I instinctively know what direction I'm facing. She's always been curious about this "ability" of mine so I made it into a bit of a joke between us. I told her that I was part homing pigeon. Her response was, "Well, my NEXT husband is going to be normal..."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.