Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good idea on how to use them. But I would like to know how to use them for Real.. Not "Oh look that whys North, wagons north" Any books, Video, ect..

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
pretty much this is how i do it there are many methods but i think this is the simplist one
every one has there own ways of doing it i have seen three diffrent videos on you tube but this is the easiest for me

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
The Compass Alone

Just googled it. Should give you a start. Some more in-depth links on this page.

There's an orienteering manual that the military put out. You could probably find it online.
Reply]
I have the military manual. I can say it is very good, but it contains a lot of things not really necessary for civilian navigation. It's nice to have though.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
pretty much this is how i do it there are many methods but i think this is the simplist one
every one has there own ways of doing it i have seen three diffrent videos on you tube but this is the easiest for me

YouTube - Camping Gear : Using a Map & Compass for Hiking
Reply]
Yup, that is about the gist of it. it's a littl more than that with the lenstatic compas because you have the sight to improve accuracy, but the overall principal is the same.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Most people using a compass don't understand the difference between true north and magnetic north. In my area this variation s around 18* . This can get you very lost.
Maps and charts are printed in true north. With a compass you will be navigating on a magnetic heading.
These are skills that are easily learned with a few hours of study.
.........................Alaskan.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
get the Army FmM on map reading thats how I learned how to read a map you can print off all the FM that have been released for wide distribution at Globalsecurity.com this sight also has alot other FMs that are good to have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
get the Army FmM on map reading thats how I learned how to read a map you can print off all the FM that have been released for wide distribution at Globalsecurity.com this sight also has alot other FMs that are good to have.
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place but where exactly did you get them?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Kev has, I belive, has some videos, here on the site, going into detail about land navagation w/ GPS and compass.
May have lost some when the site changed..Don't know for sure.

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
If there's an outdoor club in your area, look into navigation classes. If you happen to have an REI near you, they have lots of navigation clinics also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regulator nce your at globalsecurity search army fms and then pick which tab I used the first one. I like this site because the fms are complete and free to save and print.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts