Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hated this type of question in school, but here goes...

Compare and contrast the AK 47 with the Keltec PLR 16. Just for sh*ts and giggles toss in the Keltec sub 2000.

The 2000 is a step down at greater ranges (probably 75 yards max) but if you've already got a surplus of Glock mags and 9mm ammo--you should be golden at shorter distances.

Price, recoil, reliability, ammo availability, maintenance, round effectiveness, etc. etc. etc. are all up for debate. Thanks, have fun and remember--your answers will be helping a brother out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I enjoy a mindless debate as much as anyone, but you're comparing a pistol caliber carbine, the greatest advantage of which is its compact size and ability to be easily packed, with a full size assault rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge. It's like comparing a mountain bike to a Mack Truck.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the PLR is not a fair comparison...the .223 cartridge out of the pistol length barrel is going to not have the oomph I'd prefer. If you change it to SU-16, particularly the charlie variant, you have a far better comparison with an AK.

Both are piston driven, intermediate cartridge firing semi-automatic carbines. The SU-16 has a folding stock, much like many AK variants. The biggest difference is the weight of the two, and the cartridge they fire.

Myself, I'd take the SU-16C...but that's just me. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the PLR is not a fair comparison...the .223 cartridge out of the pistol length barrel is going to not have the oomph I'd prefer. If you change it to SU-16, particularly the charlie variant, you have a far better comparison with an AK.

Both are piston driven, intermediate cartridge firing semi-automatic carbines. The SU-16 has a folding stock, much like many AK variants. The biggest difference is the weight of the two, and the cartridge they fire.

Myself, I'd take the SU-16C...but that's just me. ;)
Thanks for the replies and I guess I didn't explain my position very well. I'm a lifelong hunter/shooter and own SEVERAL firearms--no expert, but been at it for a while. I do not, however, currently own any of the intermediate, midrange rifles/carbines, etc.

I want something for my wife (and soon my 10 y/o son who has just started enjoying shooting) to have for home defense (while I'm away) and inexpensive plinking when I'm home.

There are no shots over 100 yards on my property. From the house to the woodline is a max of 90. I'm now leaning towards the sub 2k as a "go to gun" for them. It's inexpensive and mates well with the Glock 9mm supplies that I already own.

My hi-powered rifles are slow and of little use in the situation I have envisioned. The HD shotguns are punishing for them and lack the range necessary. The handguns aren't made for that sort of midrange stuff either. The rimfire stuff could get the job done, but only if perfect. One or 2 of the subs with several 30+ mags of the NATO 9mm may be the best compromise available.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You'd probably be better off getting an intermediate, like the 762x39 or 223, if your purpose is defense .

Though if you want the 9mm carbine, go for it.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
After a day of hard use... Kel Tec is gonna fall apart. AK will keep going 'n going... And shoot a deer, defend the home, and rugged enough for anything. Not to mention 300 yd shot. For an all around AK, go with a folder Theyre compact enough for car or backpack.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
One or 2 of the subs with several 30+ mags of the NATO 9mm may be the best compromise available.
Same scenario, I went with lever carbines in 357. More range and oomph, 11 rd capacity with top off capability. Quality sights, and tighter groups at 90yds. And it'll hunt deer and hog to 150 with good ammo.

But it sounds like you went Glock 9 heavy ... I went 357 wheelie heavy, so there you are.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same scenario, I went with lever carbines in 357. More range and oomph, 11 rd capacity with top off capability. Quality sights, and tighter groups at 90yds. And it'll hunt deer and hog to 150 with good ammo.

But it sounds like you went Glock 9 heavy ... I went 357 wheelie heavy, so there you are.

Well, honestly, I went .38/357 HEAVY a few years back and just in the past year or so came back to the 9mm. I have kept the revolvers and ammo and looked quite a while for a Marlin lever .357. That's one of the toughest guns out there to get your hands on. The Cowboy Action Shooters and others have them bought up and prices are outrageous.

I agree with you fully (except for the hi-cap mags possible with the sub2k) the .357 lever is almost perfect for my scenario (apparently yours as well).

You NEVER see them at the gun shows around here and the only gun store (locally) that had one for a while wanted $799 plus tax for a Winchester.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You will be sorry if you ever have to shoot that PLR16 inside your home in a defensive situation. Due to the short barrel, I would not advise shooting the PLR16 indoors...it's loud enough outdoors.

Having owned all three platforms...I say you should get an AK74...recoil is light so is the ammo and the rifle itself. The AK74 won't beat up your wife or child, but it will give you more zip at longer ranges.

The S2K is alright, but the front sight is the weak point in that carbine...BFG used to offer an aftermarket front sight, but they have discontinued it. The S2K will get you out to 100 yards, but it's not that easy to mount optics on that platform.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts