Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I did for my own edification but I thought I'd share it. The information in the matrix comes from the CDC, WHO, academic websites and, if the article was adequately footnoted, the fount of all knowledge Wikipedia. The data is incomplete but it may be out there if anyone wants to fill in the blanks. Note that much of the data is the best estimate by scientists and in some cases the estimates vary widely.

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to believe 100yrs later researchers have not bother to better determine the fatality rate for Spanish Flu. 2-20% is a ridiculous variation.
I would view all the statistics as experts' best approximations. While digging for this info I found a few meta-studies that tried to use the consensus of large numbers of prior studies and the meta study people seemed to be frustrated that there was so much variation in the numbers people came up with.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Just asking since TB still kills around 1.5 million a year. It has a vaccination and can be treated, but is still doing it's thing out there in the world. But it's bacterial.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just asking since TB still kills around 1.5 million a year. It has a vaccination and can be treated, but is still doing it's thing out there in the world. But it's bacterial.
Nope, no TB. Perhaps I should add "ordinary" seasonal diseases besides flu and measles just to get a better perspective. There are many things that kill far more people annually than most pandemics such as automobile accidents and smoking but no one panics about those things because they are "normal".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.