Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellow dirt diggers ... was looking for information for myself and thought this might be of interest to some of you as well. Last year I had a problem with my pole beans ... they didn't fill out, though the vines were tremendous. Found out that they hate being near onions which I had planted next to them ... needless to say, this year, I am doing some in depth study to decide what to plant next to whom. Anyway, these are some of the charts I have found, so I hope they will be helpful to you as well.

This first one was the best, and it has vegetables and herbs mixed together in alphebetical order. I really like this one, because I found out why the old folks planted herbs in with their vegetables ... some of the herbs worked to kill off the things that ate the veggies. They have a whole lot of really good information on their site for lots of other stuff as well, so go have a look. I would post, but this site prohibits the info being reposted elsewhere. It came from:

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

This next one I liked, because it talked about pole beans.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/complant.html

This one is good too, and it also has herbs included on a seperate chart.

http://www.tinkersgardens.com/vegetables/companionplanting.asp

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are some of the more general vegetables and their friends and enemies. I have compiled about eight web sites, and tried to list everything I could find under each vegetable according to the likes and dislikes. You will notice in a couple of places, you will see a question mark before a vegetable name. I did this because some of the charts contradicted each other, so that particular vegetable is found under the "likes", as well as, "dislikes" headings. You might want to do a bit more research on your own to see what else you can find where there is a contradiction like that, but on the whole, I hope this helps you plan out your garden better, so you get a better crop this year.

By using companion plants, you can produce more food, and in many cases, eliminate some major problems by planting the right combination together.

I am hoping to expand this to include more on herbs that work together as well. I will edit that part in at a later date ... maybe tomorrow.

Asparagus
Likes: most vegetables, but their most ideal friends are tomatoes, parsley and basil, and also lettuce and capsicum
Dislikes: onion, garlic and potato

Bush Beans
Likes: beets, cabbage, eggplant, leek, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, corn, eggplant, radish, spinach, strawberries, celery, lettuce and marigold.
Dislikes: kohlrabi, onions, chives, leek, garlic and fennel

Pole Beans
Likes: carrots, cauliflower, chard, cucumbers, eggplant, lettuce, marigold, peas, potatoes, radishes, rosemary, savory, strawberries, tansy and corn.
Dislikes: basil, beets, fennel, kohlrabi, onions, cabbage, radish and sunflower

All your different beans help enrich the soil with fixed nitrogen from the air. This is especially helpful with other crops that are heavy users of nitrogen like corn and grains. Beans fix the nitrogen from the air into the soil, so it replaces what is used by the corn and grains at the end of the season when the bean plant dies back.

Beets
Likes: bush beans and bush lima beans, lettuce, onions, kohlrabi, sage and most cabbages
Dislikes: pole beans and mustard

Beets are really interesting, because their leaves are made up of 25% magnesium, so even if you don't like to eat them, they are great for the compost pile. They add quite a few minerals back to the soil. On the other side, beans with runners like pole beans and beets stunt each other's growth so avoid putting them too close together. Garlic improves their flavor and mints help their growth as well.

Broccoli
Likes: celery, onions, leeks, chamomile, dill and rosemary
Dislikes: Strawberries and Oregano

Brussel Sprouts
Dislikes: strawberries

Cabbage
Likes: bush beans, beets, carrots, celery, cucumber, dill, lettuce, onions, potatoes, spinach, sage and oregano
Dislike: strawberries, tomatoes and pole beans and all strong herbs

Planting chamomile with your cabbage is suppose to improve its growth and flavor.

Carrots
Likes: they have a lot of friends; bush beans, brussels sprouts, cabbage, peas, lettuce, rosemary, onions, sage, radishes, leeks, lettuce, tomatoes
Dislikes: dill, chives, celery and parsnips

Though carrots like tomatoes, the tomato plants can stunt the growth of the carrots a bit, but it doesn't change the flavor.

Cauliflower
Dislikes: peas, potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes and nasturtium

Celery
Likes: just about everybody, and even gets along with onions, cabbage, tomatoes, leeks and bush beans.
Dislikes: corn, potatoes, carrots, parsley and parsnips

Chards

Corn
Likes: amaranth, potatoes, beans, peas, pumpkins, cucumber, melons, peppers, radishes, squash, white geranium, lamb's quarter, melons, parsley, peanuts, soybeans and sunflowers
Dislikes: celery and tomatoes

Beans help corn ... see above under beans ... but the Native Americans use to call corn one of the "Three Sisters". The Three Sisters were corn, beans and squash or pumpkins. The climbing beans used the corn as a pole to climb, and the squash or pumpkins smothers the weeds and retains moisture for the corn. I have read where mixing sunflowers in with the corn helps to support the weight of the corn stalks and can be used for bean poles as well.

Cucumber
Likes: artichokes, bush and pole beans, beets, cabbage, celery, lettuce, corn, dill, radishes, sunflowers, eggplant, lettuce or peas
Dislikes: aromatic herbs, potatoes, cauliflower and basil

Radishes planted with your cucumbers are a deterrent to cucumber beetles, while nasturtiums improve the growth and flavor of the cukes.

Eggplant
Likes: amaranth, bush and pole beans, lettuce, peas, peppers, potatoes, spinach, tarragon, thyme and capsicum
Dislikes: fennel

Grapes
Likes: hyssop, basil, beans, geraniums, oregano, clover, peas and blackberries
Dislikes: radishes and cabbage

Chives planted with grapes helps to repel aphids.

Kohlrabi
Likes: cucumber, onion and chives. Beets grow perfectly with kohlrabi.
Dislikes: pole beans, peppers, strawberries and tomatoes

Leek
Likes: apple trees, cabbage, carrot, celery, strawberry and onions which improve their growth.
Dislikes: Legumes (beans)

Leeks will repel carrot flies!

Lettuce
Likes: beets, bush & pole beans, cabbage, carrots, corn, radishes, strawberries and cucumbers, and grows especially well with onions and happily under young sunflowers.
Dislikes: ?beans, ?beetroot and parsley

Melons
Dislikes: potatoes

Marigold helps deter beetles on melons. Nasturtium works on deterring bugs and beetles and oregano provides general protection from pests.

Mint

Okra
Likes: lettuce, peppers, eggplants, basil, cucumbers, melons and black eyed peas.

Planting lettuce around the okra plants helps shade the lettuce which extends its growing season. If planted with peppers and eggplants, it helps protect those plants from wind damage. After the okra is up and established, plant the peas around it at the edges, and you will notice that the peas are much less bothered by aphids.

Onions
Likes: bean sprouts, broccoli, beets, cabbage, carrots, chamomile, leeks, lettuce, kohlrabi, lettuce, strawberries, summer savory, tomatoes and the cabbage family
Dislikes: asparagus, beans, peas and sage

Planting onions with strawberries is suppose to help the berries fight off disease.

Parsley
Dislikes: peas

Parsnips

Peas
Likes: carrots, celery, chickory, cucumbers, parsley, eggplant, turnips, corn, radishes, potatoes, aromatic herbs, sweet peppers, spinach, strawberries and bush & pole beans
Dislikes: onions, leeks, garlic, ?spinach, shallots, ?strawberry, ?sweet peppers, ?turnips and ?potatoes

Peppers (Bell)
Likes: tomatoes, parsley, basil, lovage and carrots. Onions are excellent and okra works well.
Dislikes: fennel, kohlrabi, apricot trees

Peppers (Chili)
Likes: cucumber, eggplants, tomato, okra, swiss chard, squash and lettuce
Dislikes: beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and fennel

Chili peppers help prevent root rot, so plant them in areas where this is a problem. They should be planted close together to help shade the sun and provide more humidity giving them more water. Additionally, a tea can be made from hot chili peppers that can be used as an insect spray.

Potatoes
Likes: beans, celery, corn and members of the cabbage family, onions, peas and eggplant
Dislikes: asparagus, pumpkins, squash, tomatoes, sunflowers, kohlrabi, parsnip, rutabaga, turnip, fennel and cucumbers

Pumpkins

Radishes
Likes: has lots of friends; excellent to plant with beets, carrots, spinach and parsnips, but also good with cucumbers and beans. Supposedly planting near leaf lettuce makes the radishes more tender. Also, nasturtium
Dislikes: cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, kohlrabi, hyssop and turnips.

Rhubarb

Rhubarb leaves contain a poison called oxalic acid and may be used to prevent blackspot on roses (make a tea to spray). Also it may work as an aphicide.

Shallots

Spinach
Likes: most plants; strawberry, cabbage, onion, peas, celery, cauliflower, corn and eggplant

Squash
Likes: icicle radishes, cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, borage and corn

Strawberry
Likes: borage, lettuce, onions, spinach, thyme, silver beets and bush beans
Dislikes: cabbage and potatoes

Sunflowers

Sunflowers attract aphids, but they are so tough that the aphids do little damage, and none to the seed heads. This works great if you have an aphid problem ... plant a few sunflowers around in your garden. They will attract the aphids away from your other plants, and they do no real damage to the sunflowers! They also attract hummingbirds which eat white flies.

Tomatoes
Likes: onions, asparagus, carrots, parsley, peppers, basil and cucumbers
Dislikes: kohlrabi, potatoes, members of the cabbage family, corn, fennel, cauliflower, pole beans, walnut trees and dill

Zucchini

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
nasturtiums and sunflowers are good for melons & cucumbers, too. :) native americans used to grow sunflowers as well... sunflowers can be eaten at all stages.

http://www.iron-clay.com/herbal_remedies/sunflower.html <-- lots of information on sunflowers & their uses (which is A LOT). :) :thumb:

http://www.uark.edu/ua/arwia/arwomeninag/presentationwebsite/T. Walkingstick handout.pdf <-- this has info on sunflowers, as well as many other wild edibles, and even some recipes for stuff, peanut butter pemmican, cornmeal cookies, etc. pretty neat little composition!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.