Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to set up a thread to list companies that are charging higher prices to capitalize on recent events. This way, when the dust settles, we can make sure to avoid doing business with them. Just be sure that the company is in fact overcharging for the product.
For instance, www.surplusammo.com is charging between 49 and 52 bucks for 30 round P-mags, and their prices on 5.56 ammo have jumped by hundreds of dollars. I'll never do business with them again.
We may also wish to note the companies that are doing right by the customers, as in www.themakogroup.com and their E-lander 30 round AR mags. Superior mags for under 20 bucks. Plus, they have posted that they will not raise their prices, no matter what. Stand up folks deserve recognition, especially in such trying times.:thumb:
Any others?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Midway hasn't raised theirs, but they set a 2 magazine limit and now everything is back ordered.
Dsgarms has a pretty good deal on pmags ($10), back ordered of course. I can't vouch for them, but I did order some.

·
OathKeeper
535 Posts
Well, the O man clearly stated that under his plan electricity would by necessity skyrocket, so it would be wise to take note and invest in alternative energy. We know what his goals are more or less, so there are ways to cash in to this calamity without scalping people if you have the capital and testicular fortitude to start such a business in the current climate. Be the change you want to be. But don't blame others for wanting to make a few extra bucks when almost EVERYONE else is making a few extra. Vote with your wallet, but greed is human nature and everywhere these days. The vendors are no.doubt being charged more as well. You could argue that anything that we prep will get more valuable and that in itself is speculating. One day the shelves in the grocery stores will look like the gun store shelves. Let's all (myself included) try to keep that in mind as we scramble for the last magazine/pistol grip stock/flash hider/whatever.

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
Simple supply and demand.....I see no issues with it.
And why should you? Capitalistic opportunity in this situation is really about ones ethics and morals with regards to profit. Everyone is entitled to their own. No one forces you to buy anything.... But it's also times like these that reveal ones business character, not builds it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Midway hasn't raised theirs, but they set a 2 magazine limit and now everything is back ordered.
Dsgarms has a pretty good deal on pmags ($10), back ordered of course. I can't vouch for them, but I did order some.
Magazine limit is 2 per color:thumb:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm all set with my preps, but there are others who haven't been as fortunate as I am. I'm not about to laugh at them because they have to pay high prices for their goods, any more than I would have laughed at the people who paid high prices for gas after hurricane Sandy hit them a couple of months ago. I don't find other people's misfortune as being funny, no matter what the cause and I find those who gouge to be scumbags without conscience.

·
Learning
6,703 Posts
cheaper than dirt jacked up prices 4 years ago and it is no surprise to hear that they are doing it again. $900 for a case of 1,000 5.56...that is probably way beyond capitalism and supply on demand.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
cheaper than dirt jacked up prices 4 years ago and it is no surprise to hear that they are doing it again. $900 for a case of 1,000 5.56...that is probably way beyond capitalism and supply on demand.
the market place sets the price. when a level is reached and sales stop, the price will be lowered. its very simple. prices are based simply on what one will pay. not the other way around.

·
Monster Make Pretty....
228 Posts
What these businesses are doing is exploiting a lack of supply and anyone who thinks its immoral is not a business owner. I am sure there are exceptions and some are just trying to take advantage of panicked buyers but I dont think they are the norm but rather the exception.

Some folks look at a AR-15 specific store that has marked up there prices double as evil bastards looking to screw over folks who have to buy right this second... What you dont see is a industry wide 3-9 month backlog due to high demand and the disruption in the supply chain that will ensure that what ever inventory those stores have is all they will have to sell over the next 3-9 months. Most of these stores employ many people, have huge overhead and expenses that would shock you. The store in my neck of the woods is Rainer Arms, they are sold out of guns and most all parts and are not able to resupply. They have 6-7 full time employes and just built a new building that has to cost $5000+ a month... They have insurance to pay, taxes and every other thing a business has to cover... So all said they need to come up with $25,000 + a month to cover operation expenses, That is not to make a profit, that is just to keep the lights on and the employees paid and the rent current... All they sell is AR-15's and accessory, items that they can not currently get from there suppliers and might be restricted if the Prez gets his way This shock to the system I think very well could cause them to close up shop (how long can you come up with $25K a month with no inventory to sell?

What we are seeking is called "Balance" not gouging.. The free hand of the market is balancing the price VS availability which is exactly how it should work in any free marketplace. Those who dont understand why the price went up and that it is the only fair thing that could have happened must have fallen asleep in Economics or dropped out of school before they learned how the world works

The places that kept there price low either only do a very small part of there business with the effected items or where simply too slow to react before all the inventory was gone... They are not morally better simply because you could buy from them cheap for a few days before the inventory was gone

·
Monster Make Pretty....
228 Posts

What you learn is business school is to raise your price until no one buys, that is the only way to establish the threshold of demand..

If they are asking $900 somebody is either buying it or they dont want to sell it those are the only two options

There is no such thing as beyond capitalism... the buyer always sets the price not the other way around... You cant sell something to someone just because you say you want :X: dollars for it. If I listed a ounce of silver for sale for $1000 does that make me greedy? No it makes me a moron, and I am not going to sell it until the supply is such that its "worth" $1000

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I guess my local guy is doing it wrong since he is not raising prices and is even still giving his regulars breaks on prices.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts