Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why aren't companies providing employees with PPE? If an employee gets sick with Coronavirus, I wonder if workers comp could be held responsible? Even hospitals are not providing nurses with N95 mask. The excuse, the CDC has not recommended medical providers use N95 mask.

Went by a big box store a few days ago to get some peppers and part for my tiller. This is a large nation wide store. Not a single employee had a mask or gloves. The nice young lady who scanned my items and I talked for a few minutes. When I asked about her wearing a mask, she said the company is not providing any.

I was wearing a mask I bought off Ebay that had a shop rag as a filter.

It seems sad companies are allowed to disregard the health of their employees during this Coronavirus crisis.

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,602 Posts
Because they are not available, probably. Or knowing most corporate "types" they simply pretend its ok.

It is my understanding that most LE agencies, hospitals, FD got caught flat-footed and flat busted. The federal strategic stockpile, mostly exausted after 2009 was never replenished and whatever was there was distributed at the first of this. We both know who got those. Dot gov always takes care of itself first.

Amazon is still listing the N95 masks but only available to LE agencies, hospitals and the like. There is no further information given. They do have the asian style and the generic ear loop along with some really sketchy looking stuff which is now priced far lower than it was a month ago which is available to us commoners. A month ago N95 thru Amazon was zero as were my local stores. I obtained 25 of the generic fitted ear loop type nail techs wear. Pretty low grade but that was all that was available then. No one else I am aware of has any N95 for sale to common folk.

All of the production is probably going through dot gov (the DC type, not the local type I presume) I do know a local LE agency here took delivery last week of 50,000 masks and were expecting another of 75,000. No information on gloves but last I heard the warehouse normally has an everlasting supply because the jails use them. A lot.

DOD sent out a directive requiring masks in cetain situations. They specify most types from N95 on down through what the dentist wears to bandannas and neck gaitors. I have those and if my old alma mater says it's so, its good enough for me. (the risk in my area is low anyway) Besides, I don't see any reason to waste my limited supply of proper items on shopping trips and the like. I'm no longer required to work the front lines (or at least they're pretending I don't have to, LOL) so N95 and higher PPE is a bit much. While compiling my next Amazon order I found a Guy Fawkes one. The wife wants an eye of the tiger one. Might as well have fun with it!:D:
I don't think masks are going to go away very soon.

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,602 Posts
Oh. I should probably add that most "corporations" don't give a hot crap about OSHA or anything relating to EEOC and the like. I've seen it from the grocery, department store, industrial, construction (we don't have many union shops here so IDK) going al lthe way up that kind of stuff they make portable sunshine out of and industries related to using that sort of mineral delivered courtesy of the USAF....and others, LOL. Some of the stories I hear....man. So yeah, wally world can always get another blue-vest wearer. They don't care. Heck, I even had a girl at a store tell me they weren't allowed to wear masks because management thought it would scare the shoppers.

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,102 Posts
I don’t think there is a requirement that a business has to provide PPE
Every where I go.... employees are wearing all sorts of masks .... nothing matches the other co workers. Looks like everyone brings it with them.

·
Awesome
16,698 Posts
A shop rag for a filter probably isn't going to do anything to protect you, just place you into a false sense of security that may end up with more people sick and an actual excuse for lawsuits. And like others have said, the ones that actually work are sold out.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,433 Posts
While I have never been a fan of labor unions as they stifle exceptionalism, and promote substandard work and tend to drive companies out of business as their quality drops and costs increase, ... They were instrumental in getting safe working conditions for the early steel workers and coal miners.

Without some sort of collective bargaining clout, nurses etc just get told to make do with essentially zero protection. They are even forbidden to bring their own PPE.

It is a travesty. I guess like many issues, the pendulum must swing the other way now and again.

Those idiots that run those hospitals don't realize, they are practically guaranteeing labor unions organizing their employees.

·
Registered
385 Posts
They are here, Hawaii...in fact, they will not let you in, no mask ....no get in. They have been major fines and even arrest to people who do not follow the mandatory rules. Do not know too many people that can afford a 5,000 dollar fine. They did it because they want to open back up. The governor is now mandating that everyone wear a face mask or covering while in essential businesses — or while waiting to get inside.

The requirement was included in an emergency supplemental proclamation issued Friday and takes effect immediately.
The face mask requirement applies to both employees and customers in essential businesses.

The order also:

Requires businesses to monitor and enforce social distancing rules of at least 6 feet between customers and employees;
and requires limits to the number of customers in a facility to only the number allowed when following social distancing guidelines.
Also Friday, the governor issued new rules that clarify that all beaches are closed, and that lounging or sunbathing on the sand is not allowed. People can still cross beaches to get to the ocean.

The state also said that no more than two people or a single family are allowed on recreational boats, and group hiking is not allowed.

The governor’s proclamation comes as face masks are already mandatory on Kauai.
On Oahu, the city has ordered residents to wear face masks during most public interactions — including in stores and on the city bus — starting Monday.

Officials have stressed that masks for the public should be cloth — not the medical masks used to protect health care workers. Masks should not be worn by children 2 and under, or anyone who has trouble breathing.

But authorities changed those old guidelines about mask after scientists realized that about 1 in 4 people with coronavirus are asymptomatic. That means people who don’t feel sick could unknowingly transmit it to others.

Masks can protect their wearers, but chiefly protect others. So a universal mask policy can protect a wide swath of the population, public health advocates say again you do not listen and we will make more laws.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or it’s possible that masks are not available
I ordered my parents homemade mask off Ebay and had the mask shipped to their house. It took around 3 days to get from Mississippi to Southeast Texas.

there are mask out there, you just have to find them. The cashier said she was going to look on Ebay for her a mask after I told her were I got mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ordered my parents homemade mask off Ebay and had the mask shipped to their house. It took around 3 days to get from Mississippi to Southeast Texas.

there are mask out there, you just have to find them. The cashier said she was going to look on Ebay for her a mask after I told her were I got mine.
Well sure. But who's gonna be the person who has to go on ebay and hand pick 100, 1000, 10,000 handmade masks or however many employees you have, have them all individually shipped from thousands of sellers with dozens of different styles and sizes and distribute them among the employees?

Buying yourself a thing and buying an entire workforce a thing are not trivially different.

·
Amat victoria curam
1,326 Posts
My employer, I have to say has done more than I'd expect. Sanitizer and bleach wipes are available. Encouraging distancing and going as far as paying spouses and family members who have lost employment and who can make masks to produce them.

They seem to understand that a company is only lucrative and productive if they have a workforce that can work.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,441 Posts
They had a woman at door of store I shop at with a face visor gloves and plastic sleeves opening the door for every customer. Checkout staff were behind screens and shelf stackers all had nitrile gloves some had masks.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I worked for 20 years driving buses here in the UK.

I know FOR A FACT that bus companies are lying online about their cleaning regimes and driver protection, many drivers are still handling cash ( cash is always filthy) and giving change. This virus is rampaging through bus depots, there have been quite a few deaths in Londonistan already.

Mate of mine drives for TFL and say loads of people are ignoring social distancing. On the plus side he is saving a fortune as the pubs and bookies are shut!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'm sorry but this is just plain silly.

Healthcare workers in some places are still going without the basic tools of their trade... PPE. You are wondering why big box stores don't have the same items unavailable but necessary for healthcare workers to do their job? That's like folks who can't understand why there is a shortage of nurses lining up to do that job without the basic and necessary tools. Have you been paying any attention?

Did you know that hospitals, or healthcare systems as they are today... employ people specifically to identify, research, and plan for this exact type of situation?!? Yeah, that's someone's job. Someone gets paid a crap ton of money to make sure the "healthcare system" isn't caught off guard, and is able to provide services to the community. If they can plan for a fault that hasn't shifted in ~100 years, they surely can plan for something like a new virus.

If your sole task to earn a substantial income is to ensure the readiness of the "healthcare system" and you didn't ALREADY have PPE coming out everywhere... you need to find a new job! You failed!!!

Just a bit of a rant I guess. Carry on.
Those folks, normally a committee (depending upon size/number of facilities), only make RECOMMENDATIONS. They normally have no budget. None. ZERO.

Rarely do institutions listen to the recommendations (plans), and budget accordingly. Sometimes a few "high profile" type things*, which were grant funded or partial grant funded/donated.

*Tents, mobile command centers etc. Usually setup at community fun runs & such for publicity stunts.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I have heard
Doctors getting masks, nurses not.
Nurses not given masks, not allowed to use their own.
ER doc fired for complaining online about lack of ppe. Also easily fixed thing like triage outside of crowd ed er.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
We have been steps ahead of our local and state health departments evolving rules since this thing started.
N95's and gloves (from my own inventory) were issued to all employees almost from the beginning. At first they were voluntary. That quickly changed to mandatory for cashiers since they have closest contact with customers, with strict rules on what they can and cannot handle while doing their part of the job. Now mandatory for all employees. Distancing measures, sanitary guidelines and frequency, started using Hibiclens surgical scrub in employee bathroom and handwash sinks with mandatory starting and interval schedules, built walkup window, reduced/restricted movement between departments with electromagnetic locks w/codes and key-pass, removed first interior then exterior seating, offered no-contact home and business delivery, online orders for pickup, etc. It has always been our policy to not come to work sick or feverish but we also started temperature checking employees at the start of shifts. That one did come from the Health Department.
Our latest (which was started early on and is now just about to be rolled out) is a phone app that let's people order and prepay for pickup.
It was maybe a little easier and natural for me to kind of pre-think and institute some of these things because, well, I'm a prepper and this is the kind of thing we think of. And, for the same reason, I already had most of the needed supplies.
It seems like a lot of local businesses just kind of gave up and closed. We do all this for a number of reasons. We, and our employees need the income to survive. We and they want our company to make it through this. We and they don't want to get sick in the process.
So far so good!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts