Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out with friends the other day and one of the guys pulled out a jetboil stove, he had hot soup in minutes for lunch. Now I'm wondering what similar stoves are on the market and how they compare. I like to keep something in the truck to make hot beverage, soup, etc. in emergencies or compact/lite for camping. What do you guys use?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
reluctant sinner
17,584 Posts
My favorite are my military squad stoves. Single burner that run on gasoline. The packing container (aluminum 2 piece can) could be used to boil cans or melt snow/ice for hot water bottles - I wouldn't want to eat or drink from it - would taste like gas.

If you get on of the canned LPG fuel stoves make sure it burns in cold weather (propane & isobutane). Its really handy if the can has a valve so you can unscrew it and it seals so you can take the stove down.

I have a Coleman fuel 2 burner converted to propane. It will work at -20 because the fuel is pre-heated over the burner - most regular propane stoves don't work when its that cold.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My favorite are my military squad stoves. Single burner that run on gasoline. The packing container (aluminum 2 piece can) could be used to boil cans or melt snow/ice for hot water bottles - I wouldn't want to eat or drink from it - would taste like gas.

If you get on of the canned LPG fuel stoves make sure it burns in cold weather (propane & isobutane). Its really handy if the can has a valve so you can unscrew it and it seals so you can take the stove down.

I have a Coleman fuel 2 burner converted to propane. It will work at -20 because the fuel is pre-heated over the burner - most regular propane stoves don't work when its that cold.
Yea, I have a couple of Colman suitcase stoves with the propane conversions and adapters for the grill bottles, in the garage and carry a butane single burner hotplate in my truck. It was the speed at which that jetboil heated and yet so small, that got my attention

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
The canned butane stoves are incredibly convenient. Also cheap and they put out a lot of heat. The cans of butane aren't that expensive. The cans reseal automatically when you take them out which is a better system than the cans that are pierced to access the fuel.
The performance does fall away in really cold weather. I assume the butane doesn't evaporate as well at low temperatures so the gas is at lower pressure. Not sure.
You need something to boil the water in as well and it is way too big to be carried in a backpack.
I use this type of stove the most when travelling in a vehicle.
I have also just seen dual-fuel stoves of this type that can also use propane cylinders with a hose but I have no experience with them.

I have also had a Whisperlite International for many years. Great stove. It has given excellent service. It will burn either gasoline or kerosene depending on the nozzle used and puts out a lot of heat.
But it is a lot more finicky to use. It requires a separate bottle for the fuel which has to be connected. The stove and windshields need to be assembled in a certain order and it needs to be preheated to get it to burn properly.
Its big advantage is it weighs very little and folds up into a very small space to be put in a backpack. Something to boil the water in is also needed for this stove.
I wouldn't recommend this stove if you are vehicle based, the setup is too fussy. But I do recommend it for backpacking.

A more basic option is the hexi stove. It burns solid fuel tablets, so leaking fuel is never a worry, is very light and compact and also very rugged. Some people don't like the smell but it is a very dependable system.

·
reluctant sinner
17,584 Posts
IIRC the jetboil has a heat shield for the pot which also has a round bottom for letting flame/heat go up the sides for better contact - which is why they are fast.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
This is a what job are you looking to accomplish type question!

In the truck for occasional use? The Jetboil is awesome! It is in-fact what I have in my truck and is great for my climate/area.

Daily use at the office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00522F2R...colid=1QRM32WEUPVC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it convenience comes into play and a quality butane is the best option I’ve found! It carries easily and I’ve cooked with it while traveling in hotels, condos ect.

Tailgating in the country or out with the kids it’s a Solo Stove just about every time.

Actually carrying it likely one of my MRS liquid fuel stoves or a smaller Solo Stove.

Forme it’s several things in the decision tree.
How convenient
How safe
How often
How durable
How useable

No one tool fits my changing needs so I have several options that fit types of needs!

SD

·
Psalm 37:28
1,147 Posts
I carry one of these in my GHB, along with a titanium Imusa pot.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NRAUA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UzkkEbQ14QD3Z

I also have an ethanol-fueled beer can stove for backpacking, as well as a traditional Coleman 2-burner propane stove for car camping. Used to have a Coleman white gas stove years ago (very similar to Bunkerbuster's) but I'm not sure what happened to it. I loved that little stove, though.

A friend of mine has a JetBoil and loves it, but to me they're a bit bulky for backpacking. Eventually I'd like to get a butane "pocket" stove to replace my beer can stove. Not a priority for now.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
WOW I wasn’t paying attention this morning!

I carry the MSR Pocket Rocket in the truck not the Jetboil!

The JB is interesting, but I’ve never felt the need for one!

My PR lives in a small zip bag in the truck along with anything else I’d likely need to cook a few easy meals or make hot drinks!

SD

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Colman makes a peak1 isobutane for 25.00, found at most walmarts.
Yes they can be tricky in freezing weather but they do work.
Insulate in base of the stove, put it on a dry piece of wood etc.
Set the fuel can in liquid water and it will warm the fuel.
Tape a toe warmer pk to the side. I haven't done this yet.
Always use a 3/4 wind screen, it blocks the wind and reflects heat back to the fuel can. But only a 3/4 or less screen, you don't want that fuel to hot, then you might have some real overheat ☆ issues ☆

·
Ordinary Average Guy
975 Posts
Iso-butane stoves are nice. Small and light weight. The BRS-3000T is 25grams, and will fit in your hand. https://www.amazon.com/BRS-3000T-Ti...ocphy=9027874&hvtargid=pla-635141318304&psc=1
I have several Pocket Rocket "knock-offs". they are available through Ebay or Amazon for about $10. They aren't as fast as a JetBoil, but for the difference in price, I can be patient for an extra minute or 2.
The inconvenience is the canister. Full or empty it takes up the same space in your pack. Also there is no good way to know how much fuel remains in the canister. The only way to guess is weigh the canister new, then keep track of it's weight as you use it. As stated above, they do not work well in cold weather. The 230gm canisters go for about $5-$6 at Walmart. They contain 230grams of fuel (give or take)

·
That'll be the day...
3,802 Posts
Been camping a lot.... I mean over 100 days in the back-country. I have only, ever purchased and used stoves that were dual-fuel. Three times I have run out of the pure, sweet stuff that is a premium to purchase and rarely found in tiny country towns.... But what is found is.... Gasoline. Having a stove the will burn straight gasoline in a pinch is incredibly valuable.

·
Registered
11,545 Posts
I have an MSR Whisperlite that lives in an MSR stainless pot with lid, along with a bag of cooking and FAK stuff.

But if I didn’t, the little iso butane units would be the answer, the stove and a fuel canister would fit in the pot easily.

Another option is the old Optimus 8R. Great stoves, solid package for under the seat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts