Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the COVID 19-infected person in northern California could have been infected by a contaminated package or letter delivered to his or her home. Does anybody know if public-health officials are exploring this possibility?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, TheLoneMommy and ******, but what if the mail-delivery person or the FedEx person or the UPS person is asymptomatic but infected?

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,683 Posts
The metro areas up and down the west coast are crowded, and very busy with travelers. Those 3 states have a combined 50 million people, 4+ international airports, some of the biggest cities in the nation, etc.

It's a near certainty they just got it from an asymptomatic contagious person in the area, and it's spreading.

First death, fyi, today Sat 29 FEB in Seattle. School is closed for a few days for cleaning. If I were in the area, I'd quarantine. No chance I'd be going out in that community or sending my kids back to school. Others are infected.
https://komonews.com/news/local/1-dead-from-coronavirus-in-king-county-health-officials-confirm

Edited: I made a error, based on a poorly written article. It's already stale information. But to clarify.
1 Seattle dead of COVID19. A person in his 50s.
1 infected: a presumably young healthy school student in King County.
1 or more infected confirmed in the King County area.

Obviously these people have likely spread it to unknown numbers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seems like I remember an article in one of these threads that stated surface contamination MIGHT be 7 to 9 days. Cant for the life of me find it.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
It would be highly unlikely for it to have been a package or mail that caused the spread. Viruses aren't viable for long times outside of a living host.

Not that it is impossible, but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If there's a chance of it getting spread on mail, how do we disinfect? Would lysol spray work or just quaranteening the mail for 9 days?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,688 Posts
If there's a chance of it getting spread on mail, how do we disinfect? Would lysol spray work or just quaranteening the mail for 9 days?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If I get deliveries from my "personal mailman" he is putting them .into a waterproof tote where I will leave it for 2 weeks.

I do not foresee using this option.
Decontamination is possible, but may damage the mail/be imperfect.

5 days after the virus is saposto be dead has better odds IMHO.

ETA:
now I remember why I said 14.

If there's snot or other bodily fluids virus can live 14 days, not 9.
(Just bumped out past 14)

·
Retired *****
18,326 Posts

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

The metro areas up and down the west coast are crowded, and very busy with travelers. Those 3 states have a combined 50 million people, 4+ international airports, some of the biggest cities in the nation, etc.

It's a near certainty they just got it from an asymptomatic contagious person in the area, and it's spreading.

First death, fyi, today Sat 29 FEB in Seattle. A presumably young healthy school student in King County. School is closed for a few days for cleaning. If I were in the area, I'd quarantine. No chance I'd be going out in that community or sending my kids back to school. Others are infected.
https://komonews.com/news/local/1-dead-from-coronavirus-in-king-county-health-officials-confirm
fake news....... as bad as the lamestream media

edit: President Donald Trump described the person as being a woman in her late 50s and having a high medical risk. He said healthy Americans should be able to recover if they contract the new virus.

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said in a statement the person who died was a man from Washington state, but then issued another one removing the gender and describing the individual as “a Washingtonian.”

https://apnews.com/f175d89567a26d59cab27725c9e8a0d7

·
Semper Fi
8,951 Posts

·
Retired *****
18,326 Posts
The ozone has to make contact with EVERY surface. So you couldn't just pile the day's mail in the box and turn on the machine.
So don your mask and rubber gloves, open all your mail and packages and then throw it all in the autoclave.

I guess you could turn your oven to 250 degrees and cook the bugs to death. :thumb:

Personally I'd prefer the post office keep the damned mail, bills included. :D:

·
Semper Fi
8,951 Posts
So don your mask and rubber gloves, open all your mail and packages and then throw it all in the autoclave.

I guess you could turn your oven to 250 degrees and cook the bugs to death. :thumb:

Personally I'd prefer the post office keep the damned mail, bills included. :D:
I was just pointing out that there was more involved then simply throwing it in a box and flipping a switch. Not that it wouldn't possibly work as long as the proper procedure was followed.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts