Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get some things together and I realized something...I'm gonna need a way to communicate with those around me. I will hopefully be with my family but my GF lives 1.3 miles away. I live in track homes and she has a large house on 5 acres. I want to be able to communicate with her and her family. We tried some 15 mile 2 way radios (I know, the distance claims are extremely exaggerated) and they didn't even come close to working. So my question is, what now? CB probably won't cut it either, is HAM radio my only option? How about the Cobra li 7200's? Or the li 6700's? Weather alerts are a plus, and the li-ion batteries are nice, but will these make it the 1.3 miles? They could be used around the house no problem, but is there a set of radios that will make it the 1.3 miles? Oh, and to add a challenge, $60 max! Thanks!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've got a few F.S.R radio's rated at 10 miles , I have found their limit of indoors to indoors is about 1 1/2 miles. Outside to outsde I can get 5-6 miles.
The C.B.'s we have are S.S.B.'s with good antennas 50 miles is standard.
Check out VHF marine radio's . With a 25watt base station and an outside ant. you'll get a good line of sight up to 45 miles if you don't have mountains in the way.
Even the hand-held VHF marine at 5 watts will give you 10-12 miles line of sight.
I've used the handhelds at 50 miles from a small plane at 2500 ft.
.................Alaskan.....

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
I use a CB and routinely talk to people 2 or 3 miles away. A lot of it depends on your terrain and number of other people on channel that create interference. For my area CBs are a way of life lots of people have them and we often pass along messages for each other to people out of range. Short range I use frs/grs radios.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
Check your local 2 way radio shops and see if they have any used SP50 type radios. If they do, those will cover a few miles with no problem. If you can get some have them programmed for one of te MURS channels for VHF or if they are UHF use FRS channels 8-14.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.